Renting - Letting Agent Fees - Advice On Haggling

Soldato
I know there's this whole North/South divide thing going on, but are wages for the same roles / jobs really THAT much lower? The linked house would probably be £1600-1800 pcm in Bristol? Are the wages really half that for the equivalent job oop north?

alx

alx

Soldato
I know there's this whole North/South divide thing going on, but are wages for the same roles / jobs really THAT much lower? The linked house would probably be £1600-1800 pcm in Bristol? Are the wages really half that for the equivalent job oop north?

Guess it depends if the same jobs exist in both cities, certain industries only exist in certain cities.

I get your point though, if you do a relatively 'generic' job you could be better off in a city like Coventry vs Bristol (but obviously there's always other factors involved).

Soldato
If the landlord is there at the viewing, try to negotiate a deal directly with them that excludes "money for old rope" letting fees.

Letting agent fees for renting are a cancer that needs to be cut out.

£380 in this case, for how much time doing what exactly? Not urine extracting much!:eek:

Soldato
If the landlord is there at the viewing, try to negotiate a deal directly with them that excludes "money for old rope" letting fees.

£380 in this case, for how much time doing what exactly? Not urine extracting much!:eek:

Good luck with that, a landlord will have a contract with the letting agent which they would be breaking (if it is a large chain they will pursue it). I also wouldn't want my landlord to be someone who has shown they will break contracts.

As for the OP, the letting agent would rather drop the rent than reduce their fees.

Associate
OP
sixtwosix - i can only view whatever i see advertised on rightmove, zoopla or gumtree. I have not seen any houses for rent where you have mentioned, as im looking for a detached house, there is not many to choose from. Are you ins a semi (that is not sexual innuendo) :)

As for wages in certain areas and rent or house prices. In Ayrshire where i used to live and i owned my house, the wages were less than Glasgow wages, im a cnc machinist in engineering. ANyhoo houses and rent are also more expensive in Glasgow. Depending where you go. I rented in Anniesland in Glasgow, a mid terraced modern 2 bedroom house, nothing fancy, it was £600pm, i see similar in Coventry for nearer £700. Im guessing, with Coventry being a Uni city, this will affect the quality and prices of renting.

Ill phone a few letting agents, pretend to be interested in a property, and get an idea of fee's ;) , then it will give me something to haggle with. As said no harm asking for lower rent.

Soldato
It'd be £3000pcm+ as a terrace in London Zone 1...

Soldato

How about an £84 renewal fee for both us and our landlord for changing the dates on the contract and getting us both to sign it? Ridiculous, I could have done it myself in minutes.

Associate
OP
I went to see the house today, i was really disappointed, the interior was very unclean and grubby, the decor was poor and over all a feeling of a place that has been unloved and uncared for. The agent guy said it will be decorated top to bottom and thoroughly cleaned top to bottom. Still the fixture and fittings, tiles, kitchen cupboards were too tatty, so i was just not interested. So i told him i would only consider it, after viewing it once all the work has been done. Then he gave me a line that it would not be possible, someone else is in for it and i would need to agree to take it today. Probably more b/s. So i walked away.

Soldato
sixtwosix - i can only view whatever i see advertised on rightmove, zoopla or gumtree. I have not seen any houses for rent where you have mentioned, as im looking for a detached house, there is not many to choose from. Are you ins a semi (that is not sexual innuendo) :)

Granted you're at the mercy of what's actually to rent but there is a real high turnover of rental properties in and about Rugby that i've noticed in the last 9 years.

We're in a semi but may as well be detached as we've got awesome neighbours. Long drive that fits 3 cars comfortably, garage, conservatory at the back. linky...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...c81c8fe9929cf65!8m2!3d52.3915515!4d-1.2345745

Garden isn't huge but there are so many paths around that take you away from any noise in minutes we don't mind.

Then he gave me a line that it would not be possible, someone else is in for it and i would need to agree to take it today. Probably more b/s. So i walked away.

Houses rent quick around Rugby, while it could be nonsense he probably does has other people lined up who'd take it quickly.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Houses rent quick around Rugby, while it could be nonsense he probably does has other people lined up who'd take it quickly.

Yeah well they do talk so much crap, every house i have viewed before, there is always other people viewing it or interested blah blah blah.

Your house looks great, i might end up with a house like that as detached houses are few and far between. Is Rugby a decent place to live compared to COventry?

Soldato
Your house looks great, i might end up with a house like that as detached houses are few and far between. Is Rugby a decent place to live compared to COventry?

It's a world apart, I lived in a few area's around Coventry and while not particularly rough, they weren't what i'd call pleasant. It's more friendly around Rugby, generally more laid back, less trouble making idiots but maybe I just lucked into a good area.

Rugby has it's rougher parts but any decent agent will make you aware of this when viewing properties. Also go with your gut, that's what we did. Been here 4 years and just extended our contract by another 3.

Best thing financially for me was the drop in car insurance, I pay 60% less than Coventry, made up for the slightly higher rent/council tax prices....postcode lottery :D

Associate
OP
It's a world apart, I lived in a few area's around Coventry and while not particularly rough, they weren't what i'd call pleasant. It's more friendly around Rugby, generally more laid back, less trouble making idiots but maybe I just lucked into a good area.

Rugby has it's rougher parts but any decent agent will make you aware of this when viewing properties. Also go with your gut, that's what we did. Been here 4 years and just extended our contract by another 3.

Best thing financially for me was the drop in car insurance, I pay 60% less than Coventry, made up for the slightly higher rent/council tax prices....postcode lottery :D

I have not updated my insurance as i noticed how ridiculously high it is in Coventry, i tried a few postcodes from different areas of the city, no difference. So its reassuring it will be less if i avoid Coventry. My house in Scotland was in a dodgy town and its half the price of changing it to Cov address.

Rugby sounds better for me then as im not impressed with Coventry. Is Nuneaton any good as there is a few houses there and about similar distance from my work.

Soldato
Nuneaton town centre is identical to every other slightly depressing non-descript UK town. It could be described as pretty "low aspiration" in general. Saying that there are some nice villages around it, and the hospital staff that I worked with at the George Eliot were brilliant and super friendly.

Rugby has its prettier parts, and I would prefer to live there than Nuneaton if I had the choice. Rugby gets pretty feisty on a night out, so it's not as posh as its name might suggest.

Coventry town centre is much larger and had a lot more going on, but in general is pretty depressing.

If you can go further south to Leamington Spa, Warwick and their surrounding areas it's worth a look.

Soldato
I went to see the house today, i was really disappointed, the interior was very unclean and grubby, the decor was poor and over all a feeling of a place that has been unloved and uncared for. The agent guy said it will be decorated top to bottom and thoroughly cleaned top to bottom. Still the fixture and fittings, tiles, kitchen cupboards were too tatty, so i was just not interested. So i told him i would only consider it, after viewing it once all the work has been done. Then he gave me a line that it would not be possible, someone else is in for it and i would need to agree to take it today. Probably more b/s. So i walked away.

In which case why would they even be showing you around? Good job calling their bluff.

Scumbags. I have a great dislike for letting agents. They seem to get worse the further south you go. It must be ranked top in the Earnings Vs No Qualifications charts.

Ironically, I may soon have the need to employ the services of a letting agent and have had one round. I told them I would contact them when I was ready and to please leave me be for a few weeks. Guess who called me a few days later....

I am going to visit one of the local independent ones next week....will see what I think to them. One day I might actually meet a decent one.

Soldato
To those of you saying agents won't budge on fees, if you don't ask, you don't get.

The gf and I recently moved into a rented house together and I complained to the agent about how steep their fees were compared to the last company I rented from. The manager at the agency agreed that their fees were on the high side and was willing to remove the £100 "administration fee" for us.

We still paid a total of £500 in fees but it would have been higher had I not said anything.

Back
Top Bottom