Renting VS Buying

Soldato
Ok I'm having a REAL dilemma here guys :p

Basically if all goes well I'll be buying a house with my gf within the next few weeks :eek: We've both had a pay rise since we put the offer in, got the mortgage etc so things won't be quite as tight as we had thought so theres a chance I can continue a bit of gaming as and when I get the chance. However at £40 a pop I'll be looking at a game every month and a half to 2 months I would guess so I was considering renting.

I'd go for a £15ish rental which would allow me to have 3 games at a time (I'm not really one for swapping between games much so that would be ample) I'm also hoping it will stop me from he usual get alf way through a game... ooh something new (old game gathers dust) and repeat and repeat that I have done so far.

So people your views and recommendations if you please.

Soldato
Its what I do, £10 a month with swapgame and I have 1 game at a time off them.

I still continue to buy only the games I really want, such as TDU. Everything else I will get as a rental.

Soldato
OP
Swap Game is a name I've heard a few times around here. Same with Boomerang and Screen Select, I'll have to have a look at all three.

I was going to continue buying some games but heres my twisted logic/maths :o

The MOST I ever play a game for before it went on dust collection duty would be 3 months. Now if I was renting 3 for £15 they are effectively costing me £5 a month. So over 3 months it would have cost me £15 for that game, so the equivalent of buying at £40 and selling for £25, which is about what I've got for games in the past. Now considering that many games will last me less than 3 months I will be quids in. hmmmmm.

I think their will be exceptions to the rule though. Such as Forza and PES6 as I will want to keep coming back to these which then makes me ask the question if I really need to rent 3 games and should I just get one :confused:

I need to go and make a list of possible rents and buys I think :o

EDIT- well I had a look at the release schedules and I found 19 that I'd be happy renting and only 2 that I would really HAVE to own (PES6 + Forza 2)

Last edited:
I'm with boomerang. I certianly know how you feel about shelling out 40+ per title depending on the game. Renting has allowed me to play more games (I've only had 2 so far) I no longer feel I am missing out on games that have just been released.

Renting is the future for the gaming entusiast.

Soldato
OP
Kronologic said:
I'm with boomerang. I certianly know how you feel about shelling out 40+ per title depending on the game. Renting has allowed me to play more games (I've only had 2 so far) I no longer feel I am missing out on games that have just been released.

Renting is the future for the gaming entusiast.
Yeah you came to mind actually Krono' because IIRC you got your own place recently so you must know all about the shift in priorities finance wise.

Caporegime
lordrobs said:
Yeah you came to mind actually Krono' because IIRC you got your own place recently so you must know all about the shift in priorities finance wise.

Don't we all. Ive spent the last 6 weeks house hunting, looking at piles of **** every evening. Luckily I have Krono to shoot in GRAW to ease the frustration after an evenings viewing :D

I will switch to renting soon.

Soldato
dannyjo22 said:
Don't we all. Ive spent the last 6 weeks house hunting, looking at piles of **** every evening. Luckily I have Krono to shoot in GRAW to ease the frustration after an evenings viewing :D

I will switch to renting soon.

You spend your evenings looking at piles of ****? :p

Reminds me of Happy Gilmore - "You eat pieces of **** for breakfast?" :p

Caporegime
wyrdo said:
You spend your evenings looking at piles of ****? :p

Reminds me of Happy Gilmore - "You eat pieces of **** for breakfast?" :p

Yeah I do some of the houses Ive looked at have been 3 or 4 years old and have been utterly trashed. Some ive had to keep my shoes on in and wipe my feet on the way out ;)

Ive even seen growing mould on a kitchen worktops.

dannyjo22 said:
Yeah I do some of the houses Ive looked at have been 3 or 4 years old and have been utterly trashed. Some ive had to keep my shoes on in and wipe my feet on the way out ;)

Ive even seen growing mould on a kitchen worktops.

The thing I have noticed since I bought my (umm our(I mean Miss K's and My house before you look to deaply into this and accuse me of being a fairy or something)) house is that you will definantly redecerate, and probably want to tear bits out (we are redoing the bathroom at the moment and have not left a single thing in the room). So if you can get the house a bit cheaper and put the saving towards the redecorating it will work out cheaper in the end. (or thats the theory)

Caporegime
Kronologic said:
The thing I have noticed since I bought my (umm our(I mean Miss K's and My house before you look to deaply into this and accuse me of being a fairy or something)) house is that you will definantly redecerate, and probably want to tear bits out (we are redoing the bathroom at the moment and have not left a single thing in the room). So if you can get the house a bit cheaper and put the saving towards the redecorating it will work out cheaper in the end. (or thats the theory)

I renovated my first house, 2nd one was an immaculate 3 year old house that just required re painting, floors etc. Dont really want to do the big rebuild thing again. It would eat into my xbox time ;)

We are running out of time anyway our buyer wont wait for much longer. Once they pull the plug will will likely just stay where we are.

Anyway back on topic :D

Renting's the way forward, unless its houses :D

Soldato
OP
Kronologic said:
Boomerang allow you to download PDF's of the manuals for some games. I think they are working on the rest.
That could be a decider for me right there (unless swap game offer the same service) Movies would be good too but between myself and the gf we have stacks of DVD box sets/movies to get through so not too much of a worry.

Well all this could be me worrying about nothing as there is a good chance we won't be getting the house. 2 sets of rubbish solicitors and a mortgage company that lost everything off our file from the last 2 and a half months which included an application for a second charge on the house which is fairly important for us, throw in an estate agent that tells down right lies and that means that we are now 4 and a half months since the offer was made and we are still yet to exchange contracts.

All in what is a completely chain free purchase :o I'd love to bash their skulls together to gee them up a bit :p

Yeah a bit off topic but its my thread, MINE I tells ya :p

Back OT renting seems like a good option so Pros and Cons of Swap game and Boomerang anyone (plus any other companies I've missed)

lordrobs said:
house buying issues

Are you a First time buyer?

I'll tell you from my experience buying a house is anything but easy. They give you the cost up front, and it rises indefinantly.

All Estate agents are liars, there is no exception. If you think your estate agent is honest then he is a very very good liar.

We got everything ready, put an offer in in March, were hoping to move by april. We told our solicitor we could not move in June because we were expecting a baby. The people we were buying from were also planing on going on holiday in June. So guess what happens. End of May some snotty nosed Estate agent phones me up and start putting the preasure on that we have to complete by the middle of June (3 days before the babys due date) and if we do not then the whole chain (of 4 houses) will fall apart. I tell this guy that its not our fault that everything was being held up. We had been waiting for months to move and it was due to the people at the other end of the chain. We had already made it clear we could not move in June because of the impending birth. He tells me everyone else had agreed and it was now on us. It turns out that he was lying. I mentioned that I had almost a full months rent from that point. His responce was "Well Consider yourself lucky that we were not planning to complete next week because youd have nearly 2 months rent to pay".

I nearly pulled out at that point. If it wasn't so important that we moved out of the flat I would have pulled out.

L33

L33

Permabanned
Aside from the advantages already mentioned, renting also stops that horrid feeling when you've just shelled out £50 for absolute tosh (so glad I got Just Cause through swapgame instead of buying!)

Associate
I read the first bit of the post and was really confused as to why you were posting in this forums - rent vs buy is a discussion normally associated with the real estate market .... :)

Back
Top Bottom