Replace or add to Virgin superhub?

Associate
hey guys!

I’m hoping you lot can teach me and set me on the right path here.

I know virtually nothing about NATs or mesh WiFi and what ac/n speeds I need.

But I currently have a Virgin super hub with 380mb down and 21 upload. My pc, ps4 pro and skyQ are all connected via ethernet to get the best speed.

However when I use my iPad Pro or laptop or any wireless device for that matter, even in the same room, I get 120-140mb. And if I even leave my living room my speeds drop to 20mb or even less!

So do I need to replace it with a decent router to achieve better speeds around my home?

This is where I got myself all confused.

I don’t know if I need something like the amplifi HD mesh kit or TP-Link deco or google whole home

Or do I just replace the superhub with a asus rt 86 or 88? And if I do go this route do I swap out the routers or do I have to do some trickery to set the Virgin into a modem mode and use this as a hub?

Or am I looking to high end and is there something cheaper that will fit my needs. I’m only in a 3 bed semi.

Sorry if I have used the wrong terminology here, trying to learn what I need and what’s best but I’m totally confused!

Associate
Your options are put the hub into modem mode and connect a router with better WiFi signal strength, turn the WiFi off on the hub and connect an access point to it for WiFi or connect a mesh network of access points to it.

Associate
OP
I’m willing to spend up to £250 really

But if a cheaper option is ok I’ll go with that :D

Thanks for the help so far! I’m thinking more towards putting it in modem mode and attaching a decent router like an asus or Linksys.

But what’s the best bang for buck for me as I don’t really know the difference between them?

Sorry for being so newbish on this but I’ve never bought a router in my life and always used what’s been bundled with the ISP package :(

Associate
I've got the Netgear R7800, had it since Christmas, haven't needed to reboot it once. Possible to run custom firmware on and run a VPN on it network wide, down to £130 if you Google it.

If you want an access point the Ubiquiti kit always gets recommended on here, there's a thread dedicated to them. The Ubiquiti UniFi UAP LR (Long Range) is around £95.

If you want a mesh system I believe the BT Whole Home system is recommended and the two unit system is regularly £100 if you time it right.

Associate
OP
a quick google of the Netgear R7800 and found the £130 thanks, I think that's my choice. I've read to try get a MU-MIMO one whatever that is :D.
I will set the superhub to modem mode and use this.

I wont be using custom firmware as I want to plug it all in and have a easy setup for a newbie to this!

Thanks so much

Associate
OP
Seems to get great reviews

So just before I pull the trigger and shell out for this

In simple terms.

This will allow me get closer to the 380mb over wireless and the range should improve (only needs to reach last bedroom that’s currently missing) over the Virgin superhub?

Currently wireless even in same room as the superhub is 120-140mb and in any other room it drops to 20mb

Soldato
I'm sure the Ubiquiti APs are excellent, from from an ease of use and experience standpoint, I'm really happy with my Google WiFi kit.

The app interface is excellent, it allows me to prioritise devices on the fly (EG of downloading a new game on the Xbox), great port forwarding control etc

I also came from a Virgin Media Superhub 3, and have seen speeds in the bedroom go from 10 Mb to 150. In all, I paid 150 odd for my 2 kit.

I'm sure there are other great options, but as I said, ease of use and the app has really sold me on the Google WiFi kit.

Associate
OP
With the google kit wouldn’t I lose Ethernet ports as the images show two in the base of the google WiFi unit?

Or do I put Virgin into modem mode but still use the Ethernet ports in the back of that?

Or I wouldn’t be able to connect skyQ, pc and PS4 pro via Ethernet?

Also been told to look at the asus RT-AC3200?

Associate
OP
I’ve looked at, and considered, the asus RP-ac68u also as it’s £100 and is classed as a range extender.... or the TPLink VR900 v2 is £95 at other retailers also

I’ll be ordering mine tommorow whatever I end up going with. I’m not the best to advise as I’m clueless still at all this

Last edited:
Associate
OP
To update I’ve just got the TPLink VR900 v2.

I’m only in a 3 bedroom semi so a mesh or expensive router would probably be overkill and I didn’t really want or need fancy features and more of a plug and play job.

It’s bloody brilliant for them needs and £95 (£85 with the shops vouchers)

I get the full 380mb wireless on my iPad/laptop/iPhone in the same room and in the corner of the bedroom the thurthest away from the new hub I get 300mb.

So easy to set up, just set Virgin into modem mode, set this into router only mode and plug it all in.

Thanks for all the help guys but hopefully this thread helps others trying to up the WiFi of the superhub and so glad I didn’t end up spending the earth!

Back
Top Bottom