Replace PSU fan?

Associate
Doesn't the fan use one of those silly little GPU fan connector's?

Is it under warranty? You could complain to XFX customer service but good luck with it I have found with GPU's XFX are a joke. They sent me back my card unchanged and warranty expired on it's way back to me. GG XFX.

Could see if there is anything touching the fan? Opening it will void warranty though.

135mm fans are not very common...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story8&reid=216

Apparently they have 5 year warranty?

"2 year standard warranty with all PSUs - simply register your PSU when purchased at http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/Help/Support.aspx to obtain a 5 year warranty.
Register within 30 days of purchase, and provide proof of purchase for any warranty actions."

Associate
I have tried to find the same. The only ones I have seen are on the selling site for £14. It actually looks the same as mine, but I dont want to pay that. The Zalman 135mm fans fit 120mm mounts so you would have to mod your psu casing for one of them to fit.

Associate
Intake Fan: Diameter (mm):135 x 135 x 25 mm

I would get on XFX and make them fix it. I will never buy XFX again after my experience with my 4890. My XFX 8800GTX is still going though I had to bake it in the oven to fix it.

You could probably ghetto mount most 120-140mm fans if you have already voided your warranty. Aslong as they are 25mm and no more than 135mm wide.

Caporegime
OP
I'm not sure what the cable plug is, i will have a look when i get home on Monday.

it's a year old, i have already voided the warranty from opening it to clean it out, it's collects a lot of dust, i don't know how they expect you to look after it without cleaning it out. You have to open it to do that properly.

I don't want to drill any holes in it, really what i want is a fan that will drop right into it, and i don't want the same fan, it's sounded like this from new, the fan just isn't much good, it has a very mechanical Bering design.

The PSU it's self is top notch, made by SeaSonic. it's why i bought it, had i known about the noise i would have bought a TX-750 for a tenner more given it's the same sort of PSU only with a better fan.

I have my PC running very quiet, turned all the fans right down and temps are still good most of the time, but when bitmining or long gaming i do turn the fans back up, and i can still hear the PSU fan over everything, with the rest turned down it totally dominates what would otherwise be near silence.

i might measure up the holes, with a bit of luck they are the same as standard 140mm fans.

Thank's guy's

Associate
I didnt want to send the PSU back to xfx when the fan in my 850W Core went mad, because that meant i'd have to live without a PC for however long their RMA department took to deal with it. So i opened up the casing in the knowledge that i was voiding the warranty.

DO NOT ATTEMT TO OPEN A PSU IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE ANY ELECTRONICS BEFORE 240V CAN KILL YOU !!!

The fan inside is a sleeve bearing and the reason it is noisy is because the lubricant has run out, sleeve bearing fans are not designed to be mounted horizontaly so this is really a design flaw from xfx/seasonic. You can alleviate the problem by relubricating the fan (example of process in the link)

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/quiet-noisy-computer-fans-with-a-drop-of-oil/5034842

This is a very quick solution and for me it returned the fan to silent operation for 4-5 months.

Unfortunately the fan they have used is fundamentally poor quality so as the problem resurfaced recently for me i have decided to go for a replacement fan in the form of the Zalman ZM-F4 (it uses a sealed sleeve bearing which is more resilient to horisontal mounting) as it's one of the few 135mm Fans available in the UK at a sensible price.

The Zalman has a 3 pin connector while the PSU original is 2 pin so I needed to cut off the yellow tach wire and switch the plug from the old fan on to the leads from the zalman. You can use a needle to push down the metal tabs and pull the leads out of the plugs. For me they went nicely into the PSU plug though it did require holding the leads in place and a bit of additional force to seat the plug in the socket because the guage of the tabs is thicker on the zalman

The zalman has 120mm mountings while the PSU has 140mm mountings, i personally couldn't be bothered to make some adapters up so i used superglue to fix the fan in place.

Good luck, have fun :)

Last edited:
Associate
I have the same power supply but the 850W version. The fan is like a jet engine when you get into any form of game. On the plus side, I replaced this with a 140mm fan. The blades aren't covered up at all and if anything, it looks better. I bought a Fractal Design Silent Series R2 Case Fan (140mm). Thanks to the rubber mounts that came with it, I didn't have to drill any holes in my PSU. I just distorted them slightly and it's mounted fine. I didn't mind voiding the warranty that much because these power supplies are pretty solid, just a shame the fan it comes with is awful.

Soldato
Doesn't the fan use one of those silly little GPU fan connector's?

Is it under warranty? You could complain to XFX customer service but good luck with it I have found with GPU's XFX are a joke. They sent me back my card unchanged and warranty expired on it's way back to me. GG XFX.

Could see if there is anything touching the fan? Opening it will void warranty though.

135mm fans are not very common...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story8&reid=216

Apparently they have 5 year warranty?

"2 year standard warranty with all PSUs - simply register your PSU when purchased at http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/Help/Support.aspx to obtain a 5 year warranty.
Register within 30 days of purchase, and provide proof of purchase for any warranty actions."

It's a standard fan, so any standard 135mm with 120mm holes will work, here is a picture of the fan that should be inside yours (Adda ADN512UB-A90). Just check the holes if they are 120mm fitting holes.

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTI5NjE3MzYwOEd3TUZmdjRGNjBfM18yNl9sLmpwZw==

Spec sheet of the fan (actually updated version of the same fan, but same size and specs apart from yours is a 0.44Amp).

http://www.adda.com.tw/data/file/AD13525.pdf

Just pull yours out and make sure the specs look the same and I can tell you where to get a fan that will fit and work and be a lot quiter than the stock fan but push the same air, can you also take a picture of the power cable end they have on it, because you may need to do some soldering if the ends are not the same by removing the old end and adding to the new fan.

If you google for this code "ADDA ADN512UB-A91" and click shopping you will see the fan you need and it's priced at £19.21 from another company that sells such parts. This is just the updated version of the same fan, so should be easy just to replace it with a new fan of the same make and model. If you google the same code and click other companies that sell it too but will be priced in $ and come from outside of the uk. Up to you really.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom