replacement for 840 Evo

Associate
Iv had my 840 Evo for about 5-6 years, Crystal Disk and Samsung Magic say its a healthy SSD. I'm not so convinced as it seems to hang a lot and performance has dropped off over the years.

I havnt shopped for an SSD for many years, so with that being said what is the go to SSD nowadays?

My motherboard is a MSI Z370A-Pro.

Associate
Depends on your requirements - I switched to M2 drives and have no sata ones now but there was no noticeable difference in performance for games/loading times etc.

It is often better to grab a sata one that is larger than an M2 of lower capacity.

if you can afford the M2 of the size you want then there's no reason not to :)

Soldato
Iv had my 840 Evo for about 5-6 years, Crystal Disk and Samsung Magic say its a healthy SSD. I'm not so convinced as it seems to hang a lot and performance has dropped off over the years.

That will be the board/drivers or something, the Evo 840 were/are nice and quick.
Nothing nice in those Samsung's planar TLC drives, which were one of the first drives needing to distinguish 8 charge levels.
They were semi volatile memory, because leakage/interference in small transistors caused data to start fast evaporating causing heavy reliance on error correction.
Samsung had to duct tape "fix" that with firmware which rewrites data regularly.
Kinda like how DRAM has to constantly refresh data.

While 3D NAND with bigger transistors made TLC workable QLC pushes amount of charge levels to pretty much analog 16.
So wouldn't touch QLC drives in some years.

Crucial MX500 and WD Blue 3D are the best priced TLC drives.

Soldato
Depends on your requirements - I switched to M2 drives and have no sata ones now but there was no noticeable difference in performance for games/loading times etc.
That's because SATA SSDs really aren't much of bottleneck in game loading times and such:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nvme+ssd+hdd

Hence there's zero sense to pay more for NVMe drive than Corsair MP510, unless just wanting to burn money for nothing.

Associate
OP
Nothing nice in those Samsung's planar TLC drives, which were one of the first drives needing to distinguish 8 charge levels.
They were semi volatile memory, because leakage/interference in small transistors caused data to start fast evaporating causing heavy reliance on error correction.
Samsung had to duct tape "fix" that with firmware which rewrites data regularly.
Kinda like how DRAM has to constantly refresh data.

While 3D NAND with bigger transistors made TLC workable QLC pushes amount of charge levels to pretty much analog 16.
So wouldn't touch QLC drives in some years.

Crucial MX500 and WD Blue 3D are the best priced TLC drives.

So you don't recommend the Samsung 860?

Am I best running with the default Windows drivers or download the Mobo drivers for the hard drive controller

Man of Honour

I havnt shopped for an SSD for many years, so with that being said what is the go to SSD nowadays?

My motherboard is a MSI Z370A-Pro.
Have you installed the latest firmware for the 840 Evo?

Soldato
So you don't recommend the Samsung 860?

Am I best running with the default Windows drivers or download the Mobo drivers for the hard drive controller
860 EVO tends to be priced notably higher than Crucial's and WD's 3D TLC drives.
(860 QVO is QLC)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...olid-state-drive-mz-76e1t0b-eu-hd-234-sa.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/crucial-mx500-1.0tb-2.5-6gbps-7mm-solid-state-drive-hd-06g-cr.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0a-hd-54j-wd.html

Heck, Corsair's (TLC) NVMe drive is cheaper per GB:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...d-state-drive-cssd-f960gbmp510-hd-065-cs.html
I mean why would you pay more for slower drive, even if that extra speed isn't utilized most of the time, but only occasionally?

Wintoys10 actually can install bad or totally bugged drivers' so would be best to disable automatic driver updates and download those from motherboard's support page.
Also Intel has chipset drivers on their pages.

Don
Yeah according to Samsung magician it's the latest
Which version of magician do you have?

I believe the latest is 5.3.1 or similar. The application itself can be poor at auto updating.

There was a firmware fix for performance a couple of years ago.

As for a replacement, can't really go wrong with an 860 Evo.

Edit, just seen your motherboard, might as well go all out and get an Evo 970 plus

Associate
OP
Which version of magician do you have?

I believe the latest is 5.3.1 or similar. The application itself can be poor at auto updating.

There was a firmware fix for performance a couple of years ago.

As for a replacement, can't really go wrong with an 860 Evo.

Edit, just seen your motherboard, might as well go all out and get an Evo 970 plus

Yea it's all up to date.

Iv purchase the 970 evo 500gb version.

Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom