• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Replacing GPU in PC

Soldato
Hi all,

Quick one really. If my plan is take out my 3060 Ti and put a 3080 in, do I just power off the PC and swap them over?

No changes to drivers and what not?

Caporegime
Hi all,

Quick one really. If my plan is take out my 3060 Ti and put a 3080 in, do I just power off the PC and swap them over?

Enter device manager, find graphics card, right click, uninstall. Cancel the restart, shut down. Swap cards over, power on, new card identified, drivers already exist in windows, windows sees this, installs them. Robert’s your mother’s brother. That’s how I changed from 1080 to 2070 Super and windows didn’t even blink.

Now AMD to Nvidia or vice versa is more complicated!

Soldato
Enter device manager, find graphics card, right click, uninstall. Cancel the restart, shut down. Swap cards over, power on, new card identified, drivers already exist in windows, windows sees this, installs them. Robert’s your mother’s brother. That’s how I changed from 1080 to 2070 Super and windows didn’t even blink.

You really don't need to do that anymore. Not Nvidia to Nvidia anyway.

Soldato
OP

Interesting... Me being curious - what if it was exactly the same GPU type for type?

Soldato
Hi all,

Remember the PCI-E release latch when removing the card and remember to let it click back when you reinstall new card. Take care when removing it so you don't rip the latch off or the PCI-E slot. Of course also unscrew from the case and then screw new one back in too. Just a heads up, as I have seen people rip out their slot and not remembering the latch.

Soldato
OP
Well I can confirm first hand that switching off the PC, unplugging it, replacing the GPU and turning on again is the way to go.

The only thing I noticed differently is the BIOS splash screen appeared twice. I'm assuming it started and restarted as it knew something was different.

Soldato
Well I can confirm first hand that switching off the PC, unplugging it, replacing the GPU and turning on again is the way to go.

The only thing I noticed differently is the BIOS splash screen appeared twice. I'm assuming it started and restarted as it knew something was different.

Yes the extra restart is due to a new hardware detection and the BIOS will then also probably retrain the memory and update itself to know what the new hardare is. All normal.

Associate
Well... I had monitor connected to integrated gpu and plugged in my GTX 465... I heard the BEEP of new hardware found and got the bluescreen 5 seconds later... ;)

Soldato
OP
Well I just ran a userbenchmark and my RAM was set to 2400mhz which was bizarre. My XMP profile was reset to default.

It was definitely at 3600mhz beforehand. Switched it back to profile 1 and running the Benchmark again.

Permabanned
Hi all,

1. You need to power off your pc
2. Remove your old card
3. Fit the new card
4. Power on your pc
5. Install new Nvidia Drivers

You might need to replace your Power Supply Unit if it is below 750watts.

Back
Top Bottom