Restocking Fees

Associate
Good morning,
Not sure if anyone can help but I thought I'd give it a whirl. Bought a kitchen appliance on Friday from an online store. Arrived yesterday and it's way too big. My mistsake - I misread their measurements. I contacted them immediately and asked to return it and swap it for their smaller version. I was told that I'd be charged a 30% restocking fee.
Is this allowed for online sales that a consumer hasn't seen in person?

Soldato

Online returns timelines​

You have the right to cancel at any time from the moment you place your online order, and up to 14 days from the day you receive your goods. This is sometimes referred to as a ‘cooling-off period’.

You need to notify the retailer of your wish to cancel your order within this time period – by email, for example.

You then have a further 14 days from the date you notify the retailer of your cancellation to return the goods.

You should receive your refund within 14 days of the date you have returned the goods to the retailer or cancelled the service.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's detailed in their T&C's then I believe they can.

I'll take that back as it does seem wrong

Check the bit on there titled : Effects of Withdrawal or cancellation

(It wont let me copy paste the section to quote it)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I'm curious which company. £600 on an oven would mean paying £180! Why on earth would it cost them that much to restock it.

Caporegime
14 days no bs return for distance shopping no?

Just say you don't want it next time. No need to grovel or give any reason.

You stand for return shipping though, but that's your fault :p do better research/measure better.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I remember back in the day when OCUK had restocking fees and "you must check your parcel for damage before you sign"
as if any delivery men were waiting around whilst you checked...

30% is unreasonable take them to court, it's supposed to be a tiny fee to cover the costs or reshipping the item etc....

do display models even get 30% these days?

Last edited:
Soldato
Consumer law trumps any T&C.
Once saw someone call police inside of argos as they where refusing a refund when the customer was well within their right. They got the refund haha

Had a similar situation with my dad and a TV inside of a sainsbury's argos. Had to threaten them for them to process a refund in front of other customers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whats the crack with a restocking fee for in store purchases? I returned a bunch of plumbing parts from a wholesaler (damaged o rings etc so returned the whole lot) they ended up taking off a 25% restocking fee from the return price. Bearing in mind these were 10-12 small plastic elbows etc and cost in the region of £180 total order value.

Back
Top Bottom