Retro console and games thread

Underboss
unfortunately i dont have a lot of room

but this is mine, mot sure what else i can do

my desk is where the drawers are

IMG_20170514_154210249_zps8uwjlvae.jpg

Man of Honour
Had a big move around in my game room in an attempt to create a bit more space. I'm running my PC and all my HDMI consoles through my amp, which meant I could remove an LCD TV and a Logitech Z506 5.1 surround from the room as well.

I've sold quite a few things but I decided to keep my high end sim racing gear.

Associate
I also have another one sat in the corner too, like you do! Full of CD's at the moment, but the gf knows it will be taken over with games one day!

Do you play much of the PS1 or PS2 collection?

Not as much as I would like with a 1 and half year old, but I love collecting for the ps1 as I have good memories with it when I got one at launch, and when I first started collecting you could find them all over for next to nothing, I've picked up gems like klonoa and ghost in the shell for like a £1 each, now you hardly ever see them.

I am thinking of playing through some and streaming them on my twitch channel which could be fun.

Caporegime
T
^^

Very nice.

Run the games on the Wii.

That would mean she would have to play them in the kitchen. The Wii is mounted to the back of the TV which in itself is mounted to the wall so would rather leave it there. It does have component though and RE4 looks great on it. She has the gamecube in her bedroom. Can you get cheap component cables for the Wii as my official one was something silly like £50 iirc and gamecube RGB cables are going for silly money.

Man of Honour
If you are looking to play on a modern LCD TV then picking up a used Wii and third party component cable. You'd only need the unit and power brick as you'll a be using GameCube controller.

Or buy an upscaler and connect the GameCube to your LCD TV with an RGB SCART cable.

Personally I think RGB SCART looks it's best on old CRT's.

I posted a comparison picture a while back of GameCube game on a Wii via component on an LCD and an actual GameCube via RGB SCART on a CRT.

I'll see if I can find it on my Flickr account and repost it. It might be a link to it rather than posting here as I'm posting on my phone.

Soldato
I was having a sort out of some games today and found lots of gamecube games that I'd never played so I decided to dig out the console.

Problem is I can find the power lead or the RGB scart lead that I had and it's a US console.

Anyone know of a store or someone who may have these, I did the obvious search on the Bay but nothing.

Soldato
I was having a sort out of some games today and found lots of gamecube games that I'd never played so I decided to dig out the console.

Problem is I can find the power lead or the RGB scart lead that I had and it's a US console.

Anyone know of a store or someone who may have these, I did the obvious search on the Bay but nothing.

You can use a UK Gamecube powersupply on a US console and there are plenty of those on Ebay.

RGB for a US cube is a custom cable made from a component cable or d-terminal cable + standard A/V cables. You won't find anywhere that stocks a pre-made one. There are guides online to make one, but d-terminal and component cables are both expensive and rare (£50+ last I checked).

Soldato
You can use a UK Gamecube powersupply on a US console and there are plenty of those on Ebay.

RGB for a US cube is a custom cable made from a component cable or d-terminal cable + standard A/V cables. You won't find anywhere that stocks a pre-made one. There are guides online to make one, but d-terminal and component cables are both expensive and rare (£50+ last I checked).

Oki Doki I'll get a UK power supply then.

The RGB cable was a custom cable made for me by Raven Games back in the day... I'm sure I'll find just a case of when :(

Soldato
Oki Doki I'll get a UK power supply then.

The RGB cable was a custom cable made for me by Raven Games back in the day... I'm sure I'll find just a case of when :(

Well I somehow remembered where I put the PSU and and RGB Scart and set it up!

Bad news it it doesn't read the discs :( gutted as I was looking forward to wave race.

Is there any quick repair that can be done to get it working?

Caporegime
This also relates to retro computers as well such as the Amiga, Atari, Amstrad and C64. Has anyone used a Scart/HDMI to HDMI 720P 1080P HD Video Converter for upscaling Composite/Component/Scart to HD on modern TV's? What was your experiences?

My HD TV doesn't have a Component connection, just standard Scart/HDMI. (Composite Scart sucks)

41QM%2BkOes0L._SX355_.jpg

Man of Honour
This also relates to retro computers as well such as the Amiga, Atari, Amstrad and C64. Has anyone used a Scart/HDMI to HDMI 720P 1080P HD Video Converter for upscaling Composite/Component/Scart to HD on modern TV's? What was your experiences?

My HD TV doesn't have a Component connection, just standard Scart/HDMI. (Composite Scart sucks)

41QM%2BkOes0L._SX355_.jpg

Unless you are prepared to pay out silly money for a Framemeister then I believe those upscalers do a pretty good job. I did have one briefly that was in a large bundle I bought a while back. I remember testing it out but not to any great extent. I certainly didn't have any trouble selling it on for over £20.

It's the £10 ones that are best avoided.

Back
Top Bottom