Retro console and games thread

Soldato
Even if it's a region locked game, you can start it in PAL mode and switch to 60Hz once it's loaded past the region check.
That's what I thought, though seems with TF4 things are a bit hot or miss? I read last night that it checks for region at random points during gameplay and if it detects the wrong one it just freezes which would explain what I was seeing, either that or something's burned :3

Man of Honour
That's what I thought, though seems with TF4 things are a bit hot or miss? I read last night that it checks for region at random points during gameplay and if it detects the wrong one it just freezes which would explain what I was seeing, either that or something's burned :3

Didn't know that. Now I've learned something.

Even when I had the game on the shelf I'd still use my EverDrive so I'd always be using the North American version of most games anyway.

Soldato
Didn't know that. Now I've learned something.

Even when I had the game on the shelf I'd still use my EverDrive so I'd always be using the North American version of most games anyway.

Don't take my word for it mind, could be wrong g but from what I gather after 1993 or in that year they started adding in this protection which is interesting.

I found sonic 3 to have issues too but it works perfectly when used through the knuckles cart due to some region related shenanigans too

The guy was selling it with an everdrive, i probably should have took that too but wasn't really sure if it's something I wanted but now I'm starting to see the advantages, even to save changing carts etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wanted to play some Wind Waker at the weekend, but my GameCube has stopped displaying a signal on the TV. It seems to boot up fully the disc is spinning in the drive, but no output :(

I've got a new AV cable on the way to try, hopefully its just the cable that's having issues.

Soldato
Any one here play or collect for original xbox? Just wondering if it's worth grabbing one cheap for some must play games? I only ever played the obvious hits like halo etc so surely I missed a fair few

Soldato
Have ordered an Analogue Super NT, can't wait for it to come. Have a framemeister so can easily upscale my SNES, but this will make it a lot easier for me. Wish they'd re-release the NT Mini in a cheaper HDMI only version.

emu

emu

Associate
Any one here play or collect for original xbox? Just wondering if it's worth grabbing one cheap for some must play games? I only ever played the obvious hits like halo etc so surely I missed a fair few

Ive got a huge original xbox collection and loads of games including special edition green console which is quite rare in the uk .Massive back catalogue of games available at dirt cheap prices.i modified mine so it outputs 480 and 720 via component .Once modded you can also use it as a retro maching .Check out coinops on youtube its superb .

Soldato
Ive got a huge original xbox collection and loads of games including special edition green console which is quite rare in the uk .Massive back catalogue of games available at dirt cheap prices.i modified mine so it outputs 480 and 720 via component .Once modded you can also use it as a retro maching .Check out coinops on youtube its superb .

Thanks for the reply, I would probably be using it on my CRT I guess via RGB Scart?

Any game recommendations? Sound like you have plenty of experiance! I played the halos, fable, pgr2 and a few of the big 3rd party games but I bet there's loads I've missed

Associate
I am in need of a cheap method to backup my original game boy game saves. I don't really want to go down the route of expensive cart readers particularly as I use a Mac and software seems hit and miss for the OS. I only own the original DMG and don't really want to buy a colour or pocket console just for save backing up. I do own a super game boy 2 for my SNES and got a Mega Memory Card for cheap but this won't fit the DMG due to the cart lock on the power switch (I don't want to cut it) and won't work on the Super Game Boy.

Does anyone know if the Pelican Monster Brain cart works on a Super Game Boy? I was thinking to buy one if it works so I could cheaply backup saves without buying another console or cart reader/writer.

Cheers all!

Associate
I am in need of a cheap method to backup my original game boy game saves. I don't really want to go down the route of expensive cart readers particularly as I use a Mac and software seems hit and miss for the OS. I only own the original DMG and don't really want to buy a colour or pocket console just for save backing up. I do own a super game boy 2 for my SNES and got a Mega Memory Card for cheap but this won't fit the DMG due to the cart lock on the power switch (I don't want to cut it) and won't work on the Super Game Boy.

Does anyone know if the Pelican Monster Brain cart works on a Super Game Boy? I was thinking to buy one if it works so I could cheaply backup saves without buying another console or cart reader/writer.

Cheers all!
May sound stupid but could you not try and get a set of knock off replacement buttons with a power switch and cut the knock off one to keep the original intact?

Associate
May sound stupid but could you not try and get a set of knock off replacement buttons with a power switch and cut the knock off one to keep the original intact?

Yes also an option :) Just a preference to use another cart, my Mega Memory was sold as faulty but it does load the main menu (when passed through my game genie). What I might do is open up my game boy and get a cheap button as you suggest and test the mega memory card first before deciding on what to buy.

I have finally found some CR1616 battery holders that are slim enough to fit an original game boy cart so I can swap out all the batteries. I have installed holders in all my SNES games, which means I can use quality batteries rather than the cheap china brand tabbed ones.

Soldato
Does anyone know if the HDMI port on a first gen Playstation 3 can be replaced easily or not? I have just bought one and it's arrived and it looks like some pins are bent on the HDMI, it will output to AV so I've checked it and it's playing PS2 games fine, but won't work in HDMI, just want to know wether I should push for a refund or a partial one and get it repaired myself.

Man of Honour
Not having much luck with Commodore at the moment.

My C64's disk drive has stopped reading disks. Could be just dirty as it does try so it's still got power.

Just repaired my A1200 Tower's PSU and reinstalled. All working well on the TV. Plug it into the monitor, nothing.
Huh....
Back into TV. Yup. Still works.
Damn, looks like my Commodore 1960 monitor is on the blink. Hopefully just a capacitor or transistor change needed. Not been done ever. I've owned this screen from new.

Oh, and I pulled my A4000t from storage and it needs recapping. Some bulging caps. No leakage though which is good. I daren't turn it on before I've done that.

All I wanted to do was play Speedball 2 and Cannon Fodder for a couple of hours. :(

Soldato
I would love an A4000, pricey though! IF you can find one..

There's tuts online for cleaning the heads on floppies for the Amiga so should be the same for the C64, just be careful.

Soldato
Not much news in the way of retro from me, but I do have a big IKEA delivery coming tomorrow. Lots of KALLAX units to replace my cheapo B&M units. My OG Xbox can finally sit in a cube with the rest of the consoles now.

2x 8 cubed and 4x 4 cubed units on the way. Some of those are going in my server room so I can finally clear up boxes of cables and old crap :)

I plan on installing some LED strips on the console units to light the insides of the cubes. Should be a fun little project for the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom