Review of my old RX8 (long, with pics)

Man of Honour
Any chance you can get on MSN Rilot?

Got a few questions and the other half is trying to persuade me to put my visa card back in my pocket after driving both a 190 and a 230 over the past week...

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
Flibster said:
Any chance you can get on MSN Rilot?

Got a few questions and the other half is trying to persuade me to put my visa card back in my pocket after driving both a 190 and a 230 over the past week...

Simon/~Flibster

If it's about the RX8 ask em here! Lots of us after an RX and are looking for any comments.........

Associate
My mam and dad just bought an RX8 it's lurvly has a full mazda bodykit and all the options ticked.
rx8.JPG

Rilot, I've heard the RX8 is prone to flooding and seeing you've had issues with this do you have any advice to prevent this? My mother is a car noob and is a bit worried now I've told her about the flooding problems.
It seems we also have the illuminating gear knob problem too :(

Don
great review matey

I still dislike this car, it let me down after I expected an awful lot. and the handbrake is a utterly revolting.

still cant deny it looks lovely though

Don
OP
ramirez said:
re: flooding, i think it happens if you turn the engine off quite soon after starting it. At least thats how the older rx7s flooded.

Correct.
You MUST let the engine get to working teperature before switching off. You must also, NEVER press the clutch or throttle while cranking the engine.
However, following my advice to the letter won't remove the possibility of flooding entirely.

Flibster:
I can't use MSN at work and I won't have time to get on it tonight (for obvious reasons ;) ) so post any Qs here and I'll do my best to answer.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
nice review

i looked at these and then dropped the idea. They didnt really offer any worthwhile benefits over what i ended up buying: Toyota Celica T-Sport.

In case people arent aware, its the 190BHP - VTEC equivalent - VVTL-i Toyota engine and offers similar (slightly better?) performance, more boot space, similar rear seat space (albeit only 3 door). Looks are a subjective thing (think the celica is horrid from the rear, but lovely from the front), but and a good but, the running costs are low really.

35mpg if driven frugally, god knows if not (its not briliiant, but i'd still put it in the 20-25 range), typical Toyota reliability and servicing, with no costly rotary servicing, and it LOVES a twisty B road even in greasy conditions.

Just mention it as people often overlook the celicas - like i nearly did :)

Soldato
Pug said:
In case people arent aware, its the 190BHP - VTEC equivalent - VVTL-i Toyota engine and offers similar (slightly better?) performance, more boot space, similar rear seat space (albeit only 3 door).

Slightly better, compared to what - the Rotary or the VTEC?

Pug

Pug

Soldato
merlin said:
Slightly better, compared to what - the Rotary or the VTEC?

in real world terms (from what Rilot has said) the rotary. I doubt its as peppy as the VTEC as its slightly underpowered to a Type-R, and Honda got the VTEC just so right...

Pug

Pug

Soldato
Rilot said:
The main problem with the Celica is it's FWD so really doesn't appeal to driving purists. For that reason alone it would never be on my shopping list.

aye, granted :)

tho having driven a fair few performance FWDs i'm still mightily impresed. Understeer is almost non existant (as it can be), and it manages to apply its power in most conditions very well. Lift-off oversteer is relatively controlled, but obviously the amount of control you can have over your vehicle through it is pretty limited...

Pug

Pug

Soldato
well, i've heard horror stories of rotary seals needing replacing routinely, and ridiculously low mileage engine rebuilds, but i guess Rilots more in the know?

mine is only from hearsay :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Pug said:
well, i've heard horror stories of rotary seals needing replacing routinely, and ridiculously low mileage engine rebuilds, but i guess Rilots more in the know?

mine is only from hearsay :)

Kind of true for the Turbo varients of the RX7, but not so for the N/A Rotary engines like the RX8's Renesis unit. They go well beyond 100k when looked after. Servicing a rotary is actually quite reasonable, and remember there is no expensive cam-belt change.

Soldato
rotaries require you to be a lot more religious about servicing. As drexel says, the N/As will do 100k + quite easily, but a lot LOT less than that if they aren't looked after. When I was doing research into my old rx7 you'd hear lots of tales of the seals going on cars with less than 40k.

Soldato
Rilot said:
Performance and economy
Mazda state to be 230bhp at the flywheel. Many people have tested their RX8s on rolling road dynos and very few of them have produced outputs in excess of 200bhp at the flywheel, with some way down in the 180s.

From what I've read this is because the ECU cuts the power due to insufficient cooling. The car needs airflow over it/through it in order to cool the negine properly. If it does not have this, then the ECU will not allow the engine to develop its full power.

Don
OP
DreXeL said:
and remember there is no expensive cam-belt change.

This is key. Even if your rotory needs new rotor tips at 100,000 miles a normal piston engine will have had 2 cam belt changes by that milage so the overall cost will be similar. It just comes in one big lump with a rotory.

Servicing is cheap as there is nothing much to do apart from changing the oil and plugs.

Suspended
Good review, just to clear up a few points tho a lot of the problems you have seen Rilot were from the first models that have since been resolved. They know about the alloys/strakes and have taken steps to rectify as well as many of your other points.

I have only had a cold start problem once and that was after the missus decided to take it to Tesco (2min down the road) she simply will not believe me when I say it has to be warmed up on a proper drive first :( (most infuriating!).

I dont do the milage you do Rilot as I commute by train to work everyday (its more of a fun weekend car ;)) But I have done a good amount of motorway driving in it and have to say I havn't needed to drop a cog (let alone 2!) in order to over take (but I guess I am probably doing a little more than 70 not driving at rush hour ;)).

Also i'd say the torque hits at lower RPM than 5500 (but I do so enjoy hitting 60+mph in 2nd gear).

I haven't as much experiance as yourself driving cars only having my sisters S2000 to compare it to but taking off from the lights isnt as bad as you appear to make out - but as you rightly point out this isnt where the car shines (thats in the handeling).

As for the external styling this is all down personal opinion (other than the fact your review echoed almost exactly what Jeremy Clarkson said in Top Gear ;)) I love the external look and the flowing nature - much nicer than a RX7 imo and 99% of the other cars on the road.

All in all a pretty good fair review, i'd say only tainted slightly by having one of the early RX8's off the production line.

Don
OP
Thanks Noxis
I did think that a lot of the problems were due to me having an early car but I couldn't state that as I've only had experience with this example.
I do miss it sometimes. Especially the heel and toe action flying in to a bend at far too many MPH.

I think it was the wrong choice of car for me. I would probably have been better off with a 350Z due to the power delivery. Saying that, I hated the interior in those.

I've put it all right now as I believe that the A8 4.2 Quattro I currently have, is the best car I've ever owned.

Back
Top Bottom