Revitalise this grass (have dog)

Man of Honour
doesn't grass need a couple of weeks and 10c temperatures?
we haven't been getting that kind of weather for the last week or so

Man of Honour
yeah i took the opportunity (well, it worked out pretty well but not through planning...pure luck lol) in the last few weeks to apply ferrous to kill the moss
then wednesday just gone managed to scarify both the front and rear lawns which was the only day not forecast to have any rain at all
seeded/overseeded the lawn in the last couple of days to take advantage of natural watering lol
all in time for the weather to warm up and hopefully the grass seeds will germinate

Soldato
OP
Germination!

PXL-20240430-090040971.jpg

Soldato
OP
The seed that's come through is across the whole lawn now, bit it's a lot thinner (i.e not dense) than I expected. I applied at the recommended 50g per square meter but I've noticed when they distribute seed on YouTube videos they seem to put a lot more down than this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its only thin as they haven't formed their leaves yet... Dont worry, they will thickn up as the leaf bladed start to come out and, once you start cutting it, this encourages more growth as well

Soldato
OP
Its only thin as they haven't formed their leaves yet... Dont worry, they will thickn up as the leaf bladed start to come out and, once you start cutting it, this encourages more growth as well

Since I've started this thread I've seen a lot more of the lawn association videos. I wish I'd not picked a ryegrass mix now as the other grass types have a spreading habit and ryegrass doesn't.

If in a couple months time it still looks patchy I will buy some bent grass seed and sow that.

Soldato
Since I've started this thread I've seen a lot more of the lawn association videos. I wish I'd not picked a ryegrass mix now as the other grass types have a spreading habit and ryegrass doesn't.

If in a couple months time it still looks patchy I will buy some bent grass seed and sow that.

Told you it was a rabbit hole... The LA doesn't hide its distaste for Ryegrass yet you'll find others (like Dan Hibbert) who rave about it and don't like other mixes.... Then again, could some of that be income protection - if it didnt thin every Winter, they may not have as much work coming in ;)

I have used Rye/Fescue mix (mostly Rye) for the last couple of years and it just doesnt work for me. Front garden is North facing so gets very little light (some areas are almost zero). This year, I will go with a Bent/Fescue mix (40%/60%) and see how it goes.... I will supplement it with liquid feeds and the like to give it a good start but I am hoping this will be the last full renovation I need to do and just revert to a scarify/verticut and feeding going forward.

Bent and Fescue produce more thatch than Rye as they grow more horizontal so require a bit more in the way of Scarifying or Verticutting however, the upside is it may need cut less often as there is less vertical growth than Rye

Soldato
I can see loads of ungerminated seed still sitting on the surface, no wonder it looks thin.

I take it you are still watering it? The heat over the next few days should push the other seeds to germinate but they need water to make them swell which is what causes it to germinate (it swells with moisture and heat eventually breaking the outer shell and allowing the root and shoot to come out)

Soldato
OP
I've used my remaining seed on the section of grass nearest the house, it was just dirt patches. Not sure what went wrong there.

PXL-20240510-181125861.jpg

I have no seed left now so I need to order some more for the section at the back where it's barely come through. It's more shady down here as there's some trees but I don't think it's so dark that the seed shouldn't germinate, so again not really sure what's gone wrong here.

PXL-20240510-181144468.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
It can happen sometimes. Nothing to worry about unless it keeps happening.

My own seed arrived today. Its got some Bent in it so will be renovating at the end of May/start of June to get the temps up (needs 12°C min for Bent to germinate).

Soldato
OP
My own seed arrived today. Its got some Bent in it so will be renovating at the end of May/start of June to get the temps up (needs 12°C min for Bent to germinate).

Where did you get it from?

I'm unsure whether to get the same seed from The Grass People as I got before (the clay mix) or go for a different mix for that back section that hasn't come through very well.

Soldato
Where did you get it from?

I'm unsure whether to get the same seed from The Grass People as I got before (the clay mix) or go for a different mix for that back section that hasn't come through very well.

The Lawn Association - 60/40 Fescue/Bent mix.

I won't know how good or bad it is until mid-end of June though as not seeding until start of June for the right ground temps for the Bent.

Soldato
I've used my remaining seed on the section of grass nearest the house, it was just dirt patches. Not sure what went wrong there.

PXL-20240510-181125861.jpg

I have no seed left now so I need to order some more for the section at the back where it's barely come through. It's more shady down here as there's some trees but I don't think it's so dark that the seed shouldn't germinate, so again not really sure what's gone wrong here.

PXL-20240510-181144468.jpg
Thats not too bad I would just oversow the worst/baldest bits it'll thicken up when the weather gets warmer/start mowing regularly and fill in the gaps so long as they aren't too big, even those will fill in but will obviously take longer

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom