Rice Cookers

Permabanned
Absolutely the one kitchen gadget I couldn't go without. Yeah rice in a pan isn't the hardest thing in the world, but it is an extra thing to have to worry about when your putting a meal together.

Had a few of them over the years ranging from cheap to reasonably expensive and they all do the same thing pretty much. Never had a bad portion of rice from a cooker.

Just get one if you have the space.

Soldato
Hi-YAH, Uncle Woger nearly have heart attack when he read dis. Why you no' use fingg-gah? Fingg-gah da best meffod. Why you fink aw Asian peopw use dis to cook wice?
Even Gordon Wamsay use fingg-gah, an' he no' even Asian!
:D

I had him brought to my attention the other day and he is bloody hilarious!

I've never had a rice cooker but a few of my family members swear by them. I do like how easy they appear to be but not sure it's worth losing the worktop space for.

@robj20 - Never seen that method before. May have to try it one day when I feel like trying something new. I just tend to wash the rice until the water is clear, fill pan with cold water so it just covers the rice and let that simmer for about 12 minutes. Always done me just fine but I'm intruged to see if this tastes any better/different.

I only tend to use Basmati rice if that makes a difference though. Can't stand easy cook rice and have never really liked long grain rice either.

Soldato
I always thought there was no point to one as its easy to just cook rice in a pan on the hob, however, since getting one i would never go back

I use mine every day and its one of the best things in the kitchen.

Soldato
What's the appeal using normal rice / hassle over basmati for 14 minutes in the pan?
I do like how easy they appear to be but not sure it's worth losing the worktop space for.
I've generally thought the same thing, but this thread got me wondering if they had other uses, so I just Googled it... steamed stuff, risotto, soups, stews, sauces, porridge, pancakes.
It sounds like a cheaper version of a Thermomix, albeit with higher capacity, and at £200-odd for a fuzzy logic one, versus £700 for a TM31, I'm now somewhat more interested in a rice cooker...

Soldato
I've generally thought the same thing, but this thread got me wondering if they had other uses, so I just Googled it... steamed stuff, risotto, soups, stews, sauces, porridge, pancakes.
It sounds like a cheaper version of a Thermomix, albeit with higher capacity, and at £200-odd for a fuzzy logic one, versus £700 for a TM31, I'm now somewhat more interested in a rice cooker...

I have a feeling our pressure cooker has a rice cooking function but I've never actually used it. Don't think it would be quite as good as an actual rice cooker though

Soldato
also, tho ive not really done it, you can use the keep warm function if it has one and the rice will be ok to eat for hours apparently. I think asians do this a lot by cooking a big batch and leaving it on warm for breakfast the next day.

Soldato
panda-mini was the OC best buy from last thread - How's it going @Kemik ?
Went for a Panda Mini Fuzzy Logic Ceramic Rice Cooker for £80 and use it every other day. One of the best kitchen purchases I've made. Wash the rice, throw it in the cooker and walk away. Keeps warm for 12 hours so don't needto worry about when I need to start cooking.

That and brown rice I can never get right.
boil and turn off works less well for brown ?
pretty much use brown exclusively (waitrose/asda basics) which is usually circa 25minutes rolling boil vicinity, even with the par-boiled variant;
I think some rices are par-boiled, even though it's not on the label, because it kills any yeasts etc. but have never looked up eu regulations

Soldato
panda-mini was the OC best buy from last thread - How's it going @Kemik ?

boil and turn off works less well for brown ?
pretty much use brown exclusively (waitrose/asda basics) which is usually circa 25minutes rolling boil vicinity, even with the par-boiled variant;
I think some rices are par-boiled, even though it's not on the label, because it kills any yeasts etc. but have never looked up eu regulations

I love it! I actually find brown rice comes out better than white rice does with it too. Highly recommend. Some of it does come down to the amount of water and quality of rice though too.

Havent used it for anything except rice. Tried to steam but the tray was too small. Tried porridge and the portion size was tiny... oh and it overflowed and filled all of the holes . Took forever to clean!

Associate
OP
Feel like i've learnt a fair bit about rice cookers already... Had seen that the Panda Mini gets good reviews , thanks guys, a bit more research i think and will see if there's anything going in the post-xmas sales.

Soldato
also, tho ive not really done it, you can use the keep warm function if it has one and the rice will be ok to eat for hours apparently. I think asians do this a lot by cooking a big batch and leaving it on warm for breakfast the next day.

Best fried rice is when it's been cooked the day before and left a while.

Congee is pretty popular too, basically rice porridge, cook it for hours, then some dried shrimp or something sprinkled on and mixed in. Had it a few times but can't say I'm a big fan!

Back
Top Bottom