Riding in France/Spain

Soldato
Wow, really? Is this a small fine too though? We're all going to be using Sena 20S and I use in ear phones with mine. I could use just the helmet speakers, but tbh, I prefer some protection from the engine noise and of course it sounds a lot better.

If it's a small fine, like the helmet stickers, I'd probably just take my chances.

Thanks for the help guys.

Earplugs and the helmet speakers. Job done.

Man of Honour
Say's every driver ever in the history of ever since speed cameras appeared on the roads :p

If you never speed then you have no need for the precise locations anyway.

Man of Honour
Says who?

So judging by your response you stick to the limits everywhere, and therefore don't need to know any speed camera locations and this issue doesn't concern you.

Their measures aren't pathetic, they are to stop people speeding. You're free not to ride in their country if you don't like their laws.

Soldato
So judging by your response you stick to the limits everywhere, and therefore don't need to know any speed camera locations and this issue doesn't concern you.

Definitely not but I don't use the location of cameras to determine where I can speed, it's a stupid law to enforce.

Man of Honour
Definitely not but I don't use the location of cameras to determine where I can speed, it's a stupid law to enforce.

It prevents people from circumventing the anti-speeding measures so seems quite sensible to me.

Can you give a valid reason why it should be legal?

Associate
My SatNav has speed warnings. How will they know? Do I really need to turn these off? (Mind you, someone said they can take your bike! If this is true, I wont risk it)

The French Police tend to have a purge during high profile events like the Le Man 24 hour race or the French MotoGP. They're out in force, covering the main toll routes back to Calais. The only other place I've seen them is in small villages, zapping you with a radar gun and pulling you over 1/2 mile down the road.

They do have the power to seize your vehicle, but this is usually an exception of very high speed. Normally they'll ream you for a 100+ Euros. Stopped at a toll booth, whilst in a hire car, with a stroppy armed Gendarme waving you across.. :o

Soldato

You might not but most drivers do!! :D

They brake sharply for the speed camera them accelerate after it, having a general area of a mile or 3 which might have a speed camera somewhere means speed in that whole area has to be kept legal.

One

One

Soldato
What are the cameras for? In the UK they are supposed to deter speeding. If you don't know they exist then they don't deter you, they simply catch you. If they worked then they wouldn't keep raking in the cash.

Man of Honour
But surely the effect of not knowing where they are means you're more likely to keep your speed sensible at all times unlike here where everyone knows where they are so just slow down and speed up once past them.

Soldato
Yep, although I don't think there's a points system in Switzerland, just massive fines.

Consequently, we'll be doing the speed limit and no more on the motorways there!!

So, looks like they work very well!!! :D

Soldato
I use earplugs all the time, have a noisy helmet and and a cheap £35 bluetooth headset, and can still (just) hear music at 65mph, so a Sena should be a bit better.

Soldato
To be fair I've seen the good and bad side of the Police in France. At the end of the day though that's their laws, if a Gendarme is having a bad day and you're unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...

As the thread has been bumped I'll reply to this.

I got stopped in 2015 (no further issue) and then got stopped again last year for filtering - end up with a fine. Can't remember how much it was - €90 or something. Local gendarme was not at all happy, very disappointed that I had all my paperwork, still didn't give a **** that I didn't have reflective stickers.

Associate
My TomTom Rider has the speed camera locations for France shown as "zones" rather than specific locations. Is this still considered illegal by French law?
I had this turned on last year on our tour to the Alps and it came in handy a couple of times...

Back
Top Bottom