Rift or Vive

Associate
Hi all,

Built a new rig with the help of people here, 8700 plus 1080ti.

Now fancy VR for SIM racing. I play PS4 GT sport and psvr but since getting Assetto and iracing on pc, I can't seem to enjoy PS4 in the same way.

Which vr would you get for sim racing? I notice the Vive pro but not sure it's worth the premium.

Cheers all

Associate
OP
I'd be inclined to say the Rift as it doesn't carry the cost of the Vive having the extra sensors for more movement in room-scale games etc.

Appreciate that.

I think rift maybe the way as it's cheaper to start with so when it's ultimately superseded, at least I minimised my losses ;)

Does the rift kit on here for 399 have evryeveryt I need to connect and use for sim racing or do I need sensors and things?

Associate
OP
@hyperseven, psvr only bloody does work. Some ******* about with drivers but it's all good. I expect it's ropier than rift but I'm used to psvr res.

Loving iracing even more. Fantastic. Cheers all, I'll wait until VR v2 appears and slum it with psvr in the meantime I think. Trinus is your fix for any people in my position. Cheers again.

Soldato
Rift is a no-brainer with the price difference. Get an extra sensor and it will room scale as good as the vive and still way cheaper.

Or WMR for the higher rez, but I don't think the tracking is as good on them. Or the controllers.

Soldato
Appreciate that.

I think rift maybe the way as it's cheaper to start with so when it's ultimately superseded, at least I minimised my losses ;)

Does the rift kit on here for 399 have evryeveryt I need to connect and use for sim racing or do I need sensors and things?

Yep, everything you need...saying that you'll need a controller of some description (I personally use a XBOX One controller for racing, but anything you can connect to the PC will work) I've got Project Racing 2 and it's excellent in VR)

Soldato
Is Rift better than PSVR?

Hi, sorry I'm not qualified to answer that as I've not tried PSVR...(saying that and particularly on this forum (PC enthusiasts) I'd guess the answer is the Rift is superior due to the powerful PC running it...I'm sure someone will be able to back that up with spec's but at the end of the day you're better trying them, comparing the costs and thinking about which is best for you...)

I can tell you I'm very happy with the Rift, it adds a whole new dimension to everything you view on it...Google Earth for example is amazing in VR...

Associate
OP
Thanks ssmacc. I fully understand. My situation is a little different as using guidance on here, I've been able to cobble my PSVR to the PC so I can play Assetto through the Sony PS HMD. I wondered if the Rift would look much different.

Soldato
Thanks ssmacc. I fully understand. My situation is a little different as using guidance on here, I've been able to cobble my PSVR to the PC so I can play Assetto through the Sony PS HMD. I wondered if the Rift would look much different.
Rift has the advantage of ATW and ASW rendering methods to help out frame smoothing on less powerful rigs. Steam VR has its own version of ATW but no space warp.

Soldato
I've used both and yea the Rift is quite a bit better. The picture is a lot clearer and the controllers are WAY better. E.g. you find you can read small text on the Rift which was just a blurry mess on the PSVR.

Though the PSVR does have a bit less distortion from the lenses (godrays etc).

Associate
OP
I've used both and yea the Rift is quite a bit better. The picture is a lot clearer and the controllers are WAY better. E.g. you find you can read small text on the Rift which was just a blurry mess on the PSVR.

Though the PSVR does have a bit less distortion from the lenses (godrays etc).

Sold! Cheers Nasher :)

Associate
Might be a bit late, but I have both a Vive and WMR (HP).

The WMR is superior for seated and standing VR. Really nice optics and high resolution. Further, WMR now has ASW and so can be run on lower spec machines without the occasional judder you get with the Vives repo.
The WMR headset tracking is flawless and is better than both Vive and Rift as it cannot be occluded. The WMR controller tracking is OK, but easily occluded.

To summarise between WMR and Vive, the Vive wins at roomscale. For anything else, get WMR for like 200 off ebay (new).

EDIT: made clear only comparing WMR and Vive

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom