Rift S VR quality improve with upgrade?

Associate
I have a Rift S and my PC is 4th gen i7, 5700XT and looks good in Elite and other software.

In the Oculus software I have chosen best quality settings and it runs without issue.

Like a lot of people I have some spare cash with this whole working from home thing over the pandemic and am wondering if there is any benefit to VR with upgrading the PC, can quality be improved?

Soldato
I have a Rift S and my PC is 4th gen i7, 5700XT and looks good in Elite and other software.

In the Oculus software I have chosen best quality settings and it runs without issue.

Like a lot of people I have some spare cash with this whole working from home thing over the pandemic and am wondering if there is any benefit to VR with upgrading the PC, can quality be improved?

If you can run everything maxed out on your rift s, then the next step would be to upgrade your headset to a point where your PC can't keep up. Or the other way round. (Or both if you have enough).

Soldato
If you can run everything maxed out on your rift s, then the next step would be to upgrade your headset to a point where your PC can't keep up. Or the other way round. (Or both if you have enough).

Yep, you'd be surprised how much more demanding on hardware the modern headsets are, but the increase in image quality is incredible compared to the older headsets.

Soldato
You can probably find some through the lense comparisons on youtube (they aren't perfect by a long shot, but they'll show the difference to a decent degree) comparing them. This one looks OK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II8GzFg_4Eg

Removal of the screen door effect is probably the largest thing you'd notice immediately.

EDIT - Higher refresh rates too, harder work for the computer, but definitely noticeable in some games. Quest 2 goes upto 120hz, as do I think, most the latest headsets.

Soldato
Is the quality that much better on the other headsets, I haven't looked at reviews recently but there didn't seem much real world difference. I would love to be able to read text easier for sure in VR

It depends on how much you want to spend? And there are other advantages to different headsets over the Rift S than just visual quality.

How happy are you with the Rift S?

Associate
OP
I like it, tough to find quality time on it so still amazed at the immersion quite frankly. My wife gets screen door effect, so that's not ideal, if a new headset could address that it would be ideal.

Ideally I would lighter, wireless, higher quality visuals and inside out tracking, but I know I cant have everything :)

I see reviews recommending the HP Reverb G2 as best, others that say the Pimax 8K and indeed the valve index too so hard to sort out a real winner.

Cost wise, I don't mind spending out for quality. A new PC is fine but then depends on the overall gain to work out if its of value overall upgrading.

Soldato
Currently there are really only three decent choices:

Quest 2 - Cheap, high resolution, and above all wireless. For a Rift S user it's a no-brainer as it's fully compatible in PC mode. (Though you need a facebook account to use it). Requires accessories to make it comfortable. Narrow FOV lets it down a bit.
HP Reverb G2 - Mid priced, very high resolution and excellent audio, but poor controller tracking. Best for simmers.
Index - Expensive, but probably the best all-round PC wired headset, with the most advanced controllers (though in practice these aren't much better than Oculus ones). The biggest issues are it's not as high resolution as more recent headsets, it has bad lens glare, and requires basestations for tracking. I love the Index mainly because it has a big FOV.

Soldato
I like it, tough to find quality time on it so still amazed at the immersion quite frankly. My wife gets screen door effect, so that's not ideal, if a new headset could address that it would be ideal.

Ideally I would lighter, wireless, higher quality visuals and inside out tracking, but I know I cant have everything :)

I see reviews recommending the HP Reverb G2 as best, others that say the Pimax 8K and indeed the valve index too so hard to sort out a real winner.

Cost wise, I don't mind spending out for quality. A new PC is fine but then depends on the overall gain to work out if its of value overall upgrading.

Quest 2 ticks almost every box there, except weight, where I think it's about a draw (though a new headstrap would probably be a good idea, but then a battery pack on the back can really even up the weight and feel good).

Obvious advantage with quest 2 is also the standalone feature, so far easier to just jump in and out of (and take to show off).

Associate
OP
Is the Quest 2 really an upgrade in visuals though, I didn't think there seemed much in it. I have to admit the Rift is the only headset I have tried, initially at a trade show and then when I bought mine.

I will likely use mostly in sims, I tried saints and sinners but I get motion sickness with controller based walking about. Sat in a cockpit is perfect.

Soldato
Is the Quest 2 really an upgrade in visuals though, I didn't think there seemed much in it. I have to admit the Rift is the only headset I have tried, initially at a trade show and then when I bought mine.

I will likely use mostly in sims, I tried saints and sinners but I get motion sickness with controller based walking about. Sat in a cockpit is perfect.

Quest 2 is a massive upgrade for visuals. Screen door effect is almost non-existent, and it's capable of up to 120hz refresh rate.
The only thing I would say is that due to the image being compressed that in some games with very busy images you can sometimes see compression artefacts and the image can look a bit soft.

Associate

Yes Quest 2 is MUCH better, as someone who did the upgrade from rift s to Quest 2 and still owns both! I would wholeheartedly recommend the upgrade unless you're someone who hates Facebook. It is a much higher resolution and going back and forth between them, you can really tell the difference. It will also definitely give your gpu a workout with the higher res and higher fps at 120 so ticks all your boxes I'd say

Associate
Thanks for all your comments.
I just bought a new i7 10700 / 3060ti system as a first step and have started hunting classified ads for a quest 2.
Looking forward to seeing the difference!
Sweet! That's not a huge GPU upgrade but definitely a solid cpu one which is nice for vr. Definitely worth it to find a Quest 2, good luck!

Soldato
Thanks for all your comments.
I just bought a new i7 10700 / 3060ti system as a first step and have started hunting classified ads for a quest 2.
Looking forward to seeing the difference!

Overclockers had a couplein clearance last time i checked. 90 day warranty is better than most 2nd hand options. Should have 14 day returns too.

Associate
i am in the same boat, how does the quest 2 visuals compare to the rift s when using it wirelessly? the wireless feature would be huge for me as the cables annoy the hell out of me but i have heard that the image quality is reduced, will i still get a significantly better image than the rift s in wireless mode?

Soldato
i am in the same boat, how does the quest 2 visuals compare to the rift s when using it wirelessly? the wireless feature would be huge for me as the cables annoy the hell out of me but i have heard that the image quality is reduced, will i still get a significantly better image than the rift s in wireless mode?

What gpu do you have?

Soldato

The biggest benefit is massively reduced SDE (Screen Door Effect) compared to the Rift S, no matter if you use wired or wireless mode.

Back
Top Bottom