• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RIP 5820k?

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I gave the same board to my brother and warned him not to install the optional Asmedia driver in Windows update. It would always BSOD for me and then required a system restore.

Always had problems with the USB on this board. It won't boot half the time with certain USB peripherals connected...known issue they never fixed.

Permabanned
I am just glad I built my father his computer with a Ryzen 1600 AF rather than the AE, it is supported under Windows 11 and he has been very happy with it.

Meanwhile my brother has a i7 2600k with 16GB 1866 memory and my 2060 I gave him...

Associate
This time last year I was planning to update my whole system to X570, 5900X etc. but the poor availability of CPUs and high prices put me off. Thought I'd try a 6900k as a stop gap upgrade for a year or so, and am now waiting to see what RL and Ryzen 6000 offer later this year.

I updated my 5820k to a 6900k for £80 via Ebay. Despite a slightly lower base clock speed, overall system performance is noticably faster and smoother. The extra 2 cores come in handy on multi core tasks such as Adobe Lightroom imports and exports. An auto overclock on the Gigabyte X99 motherboard sees a stable 4.2/4.3. I also looked at 6950x processors, but they were typically selling for twice the price of the 6900k so used the money to upgrade to 64Gb Ram instead :D

Associate
windows 11 works fine with that cpu i have that and an asus x99 motherboard bought one of the tpm1.2 modules when they were cheap and also used the ms regedit bypass for the cpu and tpm check.

a new ryzen or a alder lake cpu would be a good upgrade though if you want a bit of a change and a boost.

Soldato
OP
Well, I think it's finally time to upgrade the trusty 5820k. It's just a bit embarrassing now that my work laptop is twice the speed of my desktop (and some), and it really doesn't have the grunt to power my 5120x1440 display anymore.

I have two shopping carts

1x Intel 13500, Z790 board, 32Gb DDR5, 2 TB NVMe

1x AMD 7900 (non-X), B650 board, 32gb DDR5, 2TB NVMe

Can't decide which route to go. Bearing in mind I have never upgraded the CPU in my board, don't care about platform life. I've kept this X99 system for 8 odd years, and will keep this one a similar time.

I don't need bleeding edge performance and value efficiency, easier cooling. I spend as much time coding as gaming, so productivity is important.

AMD platform is more spendy by £100+ and a mid range board, whereas Intel gets me top of the line board and 4x m.2.....

Help me ocuk

Soldato
OP
Gone for the 7900, I think it'll be the best option for the long run, 12 beefy cores, nice and cool and efficient.

Says something about how good the 5820k was that it's lasted this long. I'm sure someone will get some good use out of it still when I put on MM.

Man of Honour
Gone for the 7900, I think it'll be the best option for the long run, 12 beefy cores, nice and cool and efficient.

Says something about how good the 5820k was that it's lasted this long. I'm sure someone will get some good use out of it still when I put on MM.

Based on the review on HUB, I think you made the right decision. The i5-13500 is a great productivity CPU, but it is still an i5 with 12th gen cores and falls behind the 7900 in games and productivity.

The 13600K would have been a closer fight, since it has raptor cores, but the 7900 non-X is a power efficiency king, so I'd still take it.

Associate
Well, I think it's finally time to upgrade the trusty 5820k. It's just a bit embarrassing now that my work laptop is twice the speed of my desktop (and some), and it really doesn't have the grunt to power my 5120x1440 display anymore.

I have two shopping carts

1x Intel 13500, Z790 board, 32Gb DDR5, 2 TB NVMe

1x AMD 7900 (non-X), B650 board, 32gb DDR5, 2TB NVMe

Can't decide which route to go. Bearing in mind I have never upgraded the CPU in my board, don't care about platform life. I've kept this X99 system for 8 odd years, and will keep this one a similar time.

I don't need bleeding edge performance and value efficiency, easier cooling. I spend as much time coding as gaming, so productivity is important.

AMD platform is more spendy by £100+ and a mid range board, whereas Intel gets me top of the line board and 4x m.2.....

Help me ocuk
Which 650 board did you go for?

Soldato
OP
Which 650 board did you go for?
MSI B650-P. Not much to say really. First time I think in my 30-odd years of building PCs that everything just powered up and worked perfectly first time! I need to tweak the fan settings a bit as it's a bit more aggressive that my old board, but no complaints.

Night and day difference doing unreal engine compiles, combined with a new 2tb SSD, fairly chews through it.

Reactions: J.D
Back
Top Bottom