• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RIP <=8 GB Vram

Soldato
Finally a game has proper high res textures and doesn't completely butcher the LOD distances. Needless to say this will only continue as we get closer to next-gen consoles where they will have a lot more vram available as well, and with a focus on image streaming/textures it means even 8 GB isn't enough except with gimped textures. And think! This is not even an open world game where this would be even more demanding.

Thankfully, I got the last great AMD card and have no issues thanks to HBCC.

ZdfbRFG.jpg.png

Soldato
damn, must kill performance having to pull from system ram.

then again, does this take into effect of Texture Compression that AMD and Nvidia both use to squeeze vram usage down ( doens't list on overhead displays )

Man of Honour
With modern resource streaming techniques and tiling, etc. it shouldn't really be needed to exceed 8GB.

Caporegime
Ah the banter years, when they always hit the wall sooner or later on the 1Gb v 2Gb, 4Gb v 3Gb, 'plenty' was ran ragged with Nv users.:D
Ah, i remmeber it well. Had that argument with Rusty and Greg many times in the past. :D

Speaking of Rusty, whatever happened to him? Don't recall seeing him since the hairy buttcheeks of tommy graced this forum. :eek:

Soldato

then again, does this take into effect of Texture Compression that AMD and Nvidia both use to squeeze vram usage down ( doens't list on overhead displays )

Dunno, but in some games you can see slight quality loss when using Nvidia cards vs AMD and Intel. If Nvidia is compressing things more that is probably why.

Last edited:
Soldato

Not for Vega ;) High bandwidth cache controller let's you use system ram for vram and it actually boosts the speed/latency by using the cache controller chip on the GPU.

Think of it like a hybrid Hard drive/SSD

I have Vega 64 8Gb and 32GB DDR4 3200 I can give my Vega 64 28GB vram if I wanted to but you still need to take into account the game will still need ram and also Windows needs ram.

Soldato
Was the HBCC on Vega a gimmick or will it actually have legs?

It definitely has its use for professional use and to some extent gaming I have had one experience where HBCC did improve my gaming performance that was black ops 4.

Whree HBCC would be most useful is on lower end GPUs but then it all comes down to the cost of adding on the cache controller to the GPu vs just adding the vram.

My opinion I don't think we see HBCC again on a amd GPU mostly aimed at gaming.

A later GPu aimed at professional and gaming definitely.

Soldato
HBCC can help slightly with games, but I don't think it was really meant for that. Though if a game eats more than 8gb it might help stop performance from tanking. Like it would if it started dumping it in to general or virtual memory.

Soldato
Finally a game has proper high res textures and doesn't completely butcher the LOD distances. Needless to say this will only continue as we get closer to next-gen consoles where they will have a lot more vram available as well, and with a focus on image streaming/textures it means even 8 GB isn't enough except with gimped textures. And think! This is not even an open world game where this would be even more demanding.

Thankfully, I got the last great AMD card and have no issues thanks to HBCC.

Bit of tosh really 1080p is still mainstream and this is just one badly optimised game. Its the same as when people said you need PCIE3.0 when it came out to get the best out of the GPU when we still didnt fully utilise PCIE1.0!

Soldato
Not really badly optimised, just lacks the LOD scaling which most games have. Everything no matter the distance will be a 100% detail which is a real performance hog.

Nice to look at for the views, but probably not all that practical.

Back
Top Bottom