• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RIP <=8 GB Vram

Soldato
Absolutely. When I saw screenshots/videos of the game, I felt the same way as people ragging on it, but when you play it it's much different. I posted that SS for vram usage, not how the game looks but eh I shoulda figured people would go that way with it. Game looks really good, especially in the outdoor areas like where you have the small geysers. It has achieved that painterly look perfectly and imo it's artistically incredible, that's why I think it looks so damn good even though it's not using the latest lighting tech and the like. Can only imagine what they'd achieve with a bigger budget.

i6PeAQ.png

i6PzuM.png

i6obpK.png

I've been looking at the vram more and it seems like as you move through zones the memory doesn't get flushed and that's why it keeps growing bigger, even seen it hit past 11 GB. I imagine that's probably not intended and will be fixed in a patch. It will still require >8GB for maxing it out at 4K though, unless they nerf LODs.

they should really think about patching it as the 5700xt/2070S/2080/2080S all look like cards which should be able to deal with this game.

Soldato
OP
they should really think about patching it as the 5700xt/2070S/2080/2080S all look like cards which should be able to deal with this game.

Can they not? I use a Vega 64 and it has no issues staying above 30 fps @ 4K with everything maxed. Which I think is more or less expected performance.

Caporegime
Absolutely. When I saw screenshots/videos of the game, I felt the same way as people ragging on it, but when you play it it's much different. I posted that SS for vram usage, not how the game looks but eh I shoulda figured people would go that way with it. Game looks really good, especially in the outdoor areas like where you have the small geysers. It has achieved that painterly look perfectly and imo it's artistically incredible, that's why I think it looks so damn good even though it's not using the latest lighting tech and the like. Can only imagine what they'd achieve with a bigger budget.

i6PeAQ.png

i6PzuM.png

i6obpK.png

I've been looking at the vram more and it seems like as you move through zones the memory doesn't get flushed and that's why it keeps growing bigger, even seen it hit past 11 GB. I imagine that's probably not intended and will be fixed in a patch. It will still require >8GB for maxing it out at 4K though, unless they nerf LODs.
I think you need to see what is what with VRAM usage before making such threads. Many games only need 4 GB as an example but will fill the buffer up to say 8 GB but it isn't actually required. I remember running 3 screens on SLI 680s back in the day and the 2GB coped just finne back then, even though I was told it wasn't enough. I see things haven't moved on lol

Ohhh and game looks decent enough in truth and gets a good review overall, so enjoy it Bud :)

Soldato
OP
I think you need to see what is what with VRAM usage before making such threads. Many games only need 4 GB as an example but will fill the buffer up to say 8 GB but it isn't actually required. I remember running 3 screens on SLI 680s back in the day and the 2GB coped just finne back then, even though I was told it wasn't enough. I see things haven't moved on lol

Ohhh and game looks decent enough in truth and gets a good review overall, so enjoy it Bud :)

I know what's with vram usage. High rest textures + very detailed LOD + best draw distances ever. 8GB will still not be enough, that hasn't changed. The leak is more for continued play between regions.

Crap RU sites notwithstanding, as they don't even test in cities. eg the screen in the OP is from a fresh load in one of the big cities, so no leak between region travel.

Caporegime
I know what's with vram usage. High rest textures + very detailed LOD + best draw distances ever. 8GB will still not be enough, that hasn't changed. The leak is more for continued play between regions.

Crap RU sites notwithstanding, as they don't even test in cities. eg the screen in the OP is from a fresh load in one of the big cities, so no leak between region travel.
See my post above.

Soldato
OP
Using or buffering?

I've addressed this on the first page. If you don't have enough vram the frametimes plummet. So clearly using. Hence why I got a stable line with HBCC but not without.

Without HBCC, it looks like this (at best) whenever you move camera, and gets worse with time (also note the extra 3GB RAM usage vs the OP!):

dUAd02f.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Need to compare the texturing quality on AMD vs Nvidia, because on geforce cards they often look less sharp and a bit washed out. Which could be related to performance and vram requirements.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Good thing it's a good game regardless. :)

Well yes if its got what it takes to make it enjoyable, then that is all that matters. their is more to a good game than fancy graphics.

It is easy to get caught up in whether a game looks good or not, just as I did when I saw that video.

Soldato
Looked at a couple of sites and none of them have mentioned the need for VRAM.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/greedfall-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/4.html

Using 6625MB on a 2080Ti isn't excessive in my books.

Yeah take a look at charts, GTX 1060 3GB can handle Ultra texture pack just fine with 5GB less which matched RX 580 8GB performance at 1080p and 1440p, at 4K it able to matched RX 590 8GB performance. GTX 1060 6GB, GTX 1660 6GB, GTX 1660 Ti 6GB and RTX 2060 6GB can handle it just fine with 2GB less than 8GB cards.

VRAM did not mattered.

Back
Top Bottom