RIP PS3, I hardly knew thee

I've done this with a TV. The CRT died every year for two years. I believe it must last for up to six years according to Trading Standards.

"Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.
• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).
• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.
• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.
• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.
• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)
• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).
• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.
• If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit
• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).
• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)
• After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity. in this instance"

Last edited:
I don't have proof of original purchase anymore though. Originally, traded my Wii in to get it.

And refurbs from Sony come with no paperwork.

So would I use it against Sony, or the original retailer?

Did you pay with cash or card? If card then you could get it from bank statement?

Dont think you can use against original retailer because youve gave Sony the ps3 you bought from that retailer.

Should be fine to use against Sony though as you bought the refurb from them. As long as you know the date you got it from Sony (any kind of reference number?)

You need an engineers report on PS3 (what caused it to fail) - if you are getting it repaired its likely that they will do this included as part of the repair if you ask.

Did you pay with cash or card? If card then you could get it from bank statement?

Dont think you can use against original retailer because youve gave Sony the ps3 you bought from that retailer.

Should be fine to use against Sony though as you bought the refurb from them. As long as you know the date you got it from Sony (any kind of reference number?)

You need an engineers report on PS3 (what caused it to fail) - if you are getting it repaired its likely that they will do this included as part of the repair if you ask.

The guy told me on the phone that they sent out this refurb last April so I guess they must have records of them there under my name.

Mr. Bap has said it needs re-flowed so that's what I'm gonna do then get Sony to sort it out.

If you go for another replacement with Sony are they going to give you a model which has the PS2 backwards compatibility and extra USB ports which your 60gb has?

Skip my 40gb YLOD a few weeks ago - i reflowed by taking it apart and giving it the heatgun treatment. if you are not upto doing it (its a pain in the ass - so much harder than taking apart a 360), then there may be an easier route.

Get a hairdryer and blow it into the back vents for 2-5 minutes and allow it to cool down. then connect up and start the ps3 using the eject button - if all has worked your disc should pop out.

This isnt guaranteed to work but should at least get you the game. some people say it can damage the console too.

to be honest i dont think my reflow was all that good - after reflowing, it YLOD again. i then immediately did the hairdryer trick and it worked fine after that, did not crash once. i backed up and traded it in - maybe not the most honest thing to do but i got £120 for it and used it to get a slim. the console was tested in the shop with SF4, and it was silent, much quieter before it died.

try the hairdryer - you have nothing to lose

Nope.

IMAG0059.jpg

Back
Top Bottom