RIP PS3, I hardly knew thee

Yes, I suppose you could fetch maybe £50 - £60 for spares and repairs. Aren't the game saves kept on the hard drive?

My ps3 dies and everyone rips the **** out of me, am I not loved on this side of the forum :mad:.

I love you! But only because you're much bigger than me, don't snap me like a twig. :(

Annoyed that I've lost my game saves.

Same happened to me last month. PS3 died, got replaced by retailer, but lost every single game save. Ended up selling most of my games as I was not keen on replaying them all from scratch.

Can't you put it in a caddy and transfer the data to a PC? There should be some way of getting the data off it, or is it impossible?
All encrypted and locked to a unique ID that each PS3 unit has. If the ID placed on the disk does not match the hardware, it formats the disk. Only thing you can do is make regular backups to a USB drive, manually.

rp2000

All encrypted and locked to a unique ID that each PS3 unit has. If the ID placed on the disk does not match the hardware, it formats the disk. Only thing you can do is make regular backups to a USB drive, manually.

rp2000

I see, probably a measure taken to protect against piracy?

I wondered where you'd been. Seems odd that all these PS3 Slims are going t!ts up after less than a year.

Yep, mine died about 1 week before the warranty expired!!! Tragically I swapped good games I did not want to play again for Mafia 2!!! Bad move.

Thankfully the place I bought it from gave a swap for a new boxed unit, but now I have very few games to play :(

I see, probably a measure taken to protect against piracy?
Maybe, I suspect they did not think it through more than anything. Locking game saves to Player IDs should stop cheating and piracy. 360 lets you swap HDDs so I don't know why PS3 doesn't.

rp2000

Last edited:
Looking on the 'bay and the cheapest are around the £130 mark anyway, and they are probably consoles that are on their last legs.

Might be better off just trying to get Sony down to under £100.

That's a shame - you could always try doing it yourself - if you have ever put a pc together it's more or less the same - there are great videos on YouTube that show you how to do it. All you need is time and patience - but it's not for everyone I guess

Back
Top Bottom