RIP Windows Phone

Man of Honour
Groove Music have since been updated to work properly too, that was one of my concerns, as I have a pass till mid 2017. Cortana will probably be missed but I'll see what Android's version have vs OK Google.

Cortana is baked into cyanogen OS so can actually be properly utilised, so if it's that important, have a look at the few phones that run it.

Caporegime
Groove Music have since been updated to work properly too, that was one of my concerns, as I have a pass till mid 2017. Cortana will probably be missed but I'll see what Android's version have vs OK Google.

Ok Google (Google Now) is utterly amazing.

1 feature on the WP is able to resize titles individually, where on android it can't resize icons individually, going by Kenai

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29133488&postcount=454

Tiles on WP fill the same role as Widgets on Android, which can be individually re-sized.

Soldato
Tiles on WP fill the same role as Widgets on Android, which can be individually re-sized.

Tiles fill the same role as both Icons and Widgets. And I don't think Icons are individually re-sizeable on Android as they are on WP out of the box. All the stuff I've done to customise my Windows 8.1 and now 10 have been using built-in functionality.

Soldato

icons are which open apps, games, they can't be individually re-sized, Widgets give information and open a app to that information, they can be individually re-sized

on WP the titles are like both icons and widgets and can be individually re-sized..

Tiles fill the same role as both Icons and Widgets. And I don't think Icons are individually re-sizeable on Android as they are on WP out of the box. All the stuff I've done to customise my Windows 8.1 and now 10 have been using built-in functionality.

+1

that's my point

Last edited:
Soldato
And there is a rather large amount of customisation. If you want.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/attachments/windows-10-mobile/121036d1453555791t-wp_ss_20160123_0020.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://forums.windowscentral.com/attachments/windows-10-mobile/121052d1453573943t-wp_ss_20160123_0001.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://forums.windowscentral.com/attachments/windows-10-mobile/121084d1453592441t-startscreentoday.png[/IMG

[IMG]http://forums.windowscentral.com/attachments/windows-10-mobile/121796d1454599948t-wp_ss_20160203_0003%5B1%5D.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://forums.windowscentral.com/attachments/windows-10-mobile/121476d1454091008t-new-image.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://forums.windowscentral.com/attachments/windows-10-mobile/120305d1452455399t-deviceshot130969279831041127.jpg[/IMG

[B][COLOR="SandyBrown"]** No Hotlinking **[/COLOR][/B]

Last edited:
Soldato
icons are which open apps, games, they can't be individually re-sized, Widgets give information and open a app to that information, they can be individually re-sized

on WP the titles are like both icons and widgets and can be individually re-sized..

As has been said, it can all be done quite easily. I like for this you bring in 'it can't be done out of the box', as has been said, very weak if that's how you want to find a 'win'.

Soldato
As has been said, it can all be done quite easily. I like for this you bring in 'it can't be done out of the box', as has been said, very weak if that's how you want to find a 'win'.

how is it very weak. you shouldn't to install something to get a simple feature like that.

it's just like when windows 8 on desktop was released and people was moaning about having no start menu and saying we shouldn't have to install a 3rd program to add the start menu even tho it was quite easy to do.. i bet you was one of them people?

i know what you will say. well that's different..... but it's not if you think about it

and also i never said once that i hate/don't like android. i have 3 android phones, 1 android tv. all i said is the WP UI is much better for me out of the box. you use your phone totally different from me and you interact with your phone using your hands, i don't. i have to find the best one that makes it easiest for me

you need to understand and accept everybody is different, think different, have different needs, use things differently

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm, I didn't use Win 8 for long, so couldn't really tell you. Had it on a laptop, fairly sure I didn't change anything and just installed Linux over it instead.

Also, no it's not really a basic requirement. Live Tiles are more like widgets than icons, which can be resized. Swipe to you list of apps to the right, can you re-size those? Shame if you can't, such a basic requirement and all.

I have no problem you preferring the UI of WP. I still say it's a weak argument. But if it makes you feel like you have a 'win', personally I really don't care.

Soldato
I very rarely swipe to the right to All Apps. Everything I use most often is on the front screen - where I can resize individual tiles.... The dial icon for example is a standard square, big and easy to find and hit. As is the People tile. A tile for settings on the other hand is a small square. Even on a small square the "cog" is easy to spot, no need to waste screen space on anything bigger. Etc etc. You customise it how you like for needs, without having to research and try and find 3rd party apps.

Soldato
Hmm, I didn't use Win 8 for long, so couldn't really tell you. Had it on a laptop, fairly sure I didn't change anything and just installed Linux over it instead.

Also, no it's not really a basic requirement. Live Tiles are more like widgets than icons, which can be resized. Swipe to you list of apps to the right, can you re-size those? Shame if you can't, such a basic requirement and all.

I have no problem you preferring the UI of WP. I still say it's a weak argument. But if it makes you feel like you have a 'win', personally I really don't care.

Can you change the icons when you access the apps tray?
Cause that's the equivalent.

Soldato
Also, no it's not really a basic requirement. Live Tiles are more like widgets than icons, which can be resized. Swipe to you list of apps to the right, can you re-size those? Shame if you can't, such a basic requirement and all..

:confused:

why are you keep saying about live titles? on WP all titles can be re-sized live and non live. you just pin the app to start then that title is resizeable. you can even pin to start anything from settings e.g display or whatever and resize that title. i can't do that on my s5

Last edited:
Soldato
We've told you that you can, but you're claiming it doesn't count as you need to install a different app to do it. Which is what I've said is a weak argument.

I wont lie, a lot of the stuff I like to do an Android requires me to install an App to do it. I have no problem with this. That's what I like about Android, you get to make it how you like it, but how others like things isn't impressed upon me.

I understand and agree we all have different preferences and tastes, but to say these things can't be done on Android is not true.

Soldato
We've told you that you can, but you're claiming it doesn't count as you need to install a different app to do it. Which is what I've said is a weak argument.

I wont lie, a lot of the stuff I like to do an Android requires me to install an App to do it. I have no problem with this. That's what I like about Android, you get to make it how you like it, but how others like things isn't impressed upon me.

I understand and agree we all have different preferences and tastes, but to say these things can't be done on Android is not true.

i keep saying OUT OF THE BOX, WP vs android. for me WP is better as i don't need to install a app change the UI..

not everybody wants to install mods etc just to get a simple feature.

just because you don't mind spending time installing mods etc don't mean its a weak argument.

Last edited:
Soldato
i keep saying OUT OF THE BOX, WP vs android

not everybody wants to install mods etc just to get a simple feature.

just because you don't mind spending time installing mods etc don't mean its a weak argument.

Yes. Weak.

Maybe it's a WP thing, not wanting to install apps, because you don't really have any.

(Mods?!? It's an 'App'. Weak.)

i keep saying OUT OF THE BOX, WP vs android. for me WP is better as i don't need to mod / change the UI..

Just to be clear, you said it couldn't be done on the S5 is actually what you said. It can.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom