RIP Windows Phone

Caporegime
Why do you keep talking about the Lumia line? They are already gone as the 950 phones are just got Microsoft on them, the name Lumia was always going to be dropped the 950s are the last models to have the name.

Argh! Do I now have to explain the use of Lumia as a term to describe all Windows Phone handsets produced by Microsoft!?

I thought it was obvious what I meant.

Then again, you could just be being deliberately obtuse, but your here for an objective discussion so you would never do something so deliberately antagonistic, would you...

"Microsoft" phones account for 95% of all Windows Phone handsets, and there's no confirmation they will be making any more than the current selection.

That better?

Soldato
Well not sure why you are getting on like a child, Lumia Was the brand the Nokia used, AS MS took over the took the name with them. I think it was stated they where only using the Lumia name for the 950s and that was it.

Soldato
If you are still interested in WP I'd pick up a quad core phone for WP10. They've abandoned the dual core phones and W8.1 about 6 months ago.

Soldato
Caporegime
For me the biggest confirmation that Microsoft had no idea what to do with a smartphone platform was when they put so much emphasis on Continuum and returned to their enterprise-at-the-cost-of-everything-else roots that saw Windows Mobile get eclipsed by iOS/Android and also the downfall of BlackBerry.

Soldato
WP is pretty much dead until MS release their new surface phones next year, which will probably leave all current phones unsupported and obsolete so i wont be buying one.

Associate
Lol, Surface Phone :rolleyes:

If they release a Surface phone running full Windows 10 64bit OS it would be aimed at business users and be at a premium price. It seems a nice idea, but the market for such a device is limited. Surface tablets are nice but they haven't exactly flown off the shelves due to the premium prices. Surface Book looks amazing, but I haven't ever seen anybody using one in a coffee shop yet.
I tend to see Apple, Dell and HP devices and my Linx 7 being used.

I do have a Lumia 435 which I use for fun and testing out, Windows phone isn't bad, Outlook and Office work well but app support is very poor.

Soldato
I do like WP, as I do my Lumia 930, but I can see myself dropping WP when my contract is up in December. Be a damn shame for it to fail, I just wish they had supported more app devs on it.

No Pokemon Go? No Snapchat?

I don't use either but it is foolhardy not to get them onboard.

Soldato
If they release a Surface phone running full Windows 10 64bit OS it would be aimed at business users and be at a premium price. It seems a nice idea, but the market for such a device is limited. Surface tablets are nice but they haven't exactly flown off the shelves due to the premium prices.

My brother has a Surface tablet and an iPad. The iPad is used for internet browsing, youtube, and the like - data consumption - whereas the Surface is used for real work - data creation.

Caporegime
If they release a Surface phone running full Windows 10 64bit OS it would be aimed at business users and be at a premium price. It seems a nice idea, but the market for such a device is limited. Surface tablets are nice but they haven't exactly flown off the shelves due to the premium prices. Surface Book looks amazing, but I haven't ever seen anybody using one in a coffee shop yet.
I tend to see Apple, Dell and HP devices and my Linx 7 being used.

I do have a Lumia 435 which I use for fun and testing out, Windows phone isn't bad, Outlook and Office work well but app support is very poor.

For what it's worth the Surface does seem quite popular - but it took 4 revisions to get to that point and for Microsoft to finally realise that you can't pitch a device like that at businesses and then only offer basic collect-and-return warranty service. They've finally started offering proper business support and distribution through Dell, just in time for HP to start competing with them.

I think you're right that the market is limited - but what are these business users that enjoy a status where they can be issued with a premium device but aren't high ranking enough to insist on an iPhone? Not a dig at you personally but I think a large amount of the people claiming what devices businesses want to see have little experience as to how this actually works now. The days of the company issuing you a work phone that is heavily locked down and only does some very specific tasks, while you carry around your personal device are behind us for the most part - outside of heavily regulated industries. People issued with a work phone now use it as their only phone, and they expect it to be able to do everything they are used to doing on a personal device they picked themselves - app and accessory support is a huge part of this.

The only indication you'll have from the majority of the people I've worked with to deploy these devices is that the MS Office apps they use to get their email will be locked down to keep them separate from the rest of the data on the phone - no copying data out of a work email into an iMessage, for example, and there will be a very light-touch MDM profile on the device for inventory purposes and remote wipe capability. Similarly with Google for Work, where there's a Work folder on the users device and other than that you'd have no idea it's not their own phone.

The idea of companies flocking to a Microsoft platform seeking a productive mobile workforce is a romanticised view of how these devices are used in the present day - they are personal devices first and foremost, and the successful vendors in this space both started off winning over consumers before adding the enterprise-friendly stuff. You can't issue a workforce phones that they wouldn't have picked themselves, it just doesn't work out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom