RIP Windows Phone

Soldato
Whilst this is true, they would have to drastically improve the stability of the OS before I'd go back to recommending it (and I used to, heavily).

The problem is that the more people who get driven away, the less likely it is for people to even notice that it gets fixed (if it ever does). Now I'm no longer using it day to day, I'll likely never know if they fix the bluetooth problems and make the platform more stable.

I know you keep saying this, but I have not had a single Bluetooth problem, my Wireless headphone ( used daily, my Bluetooth working in my Car ( everyday use nearly) and numerous wireless speakers and dongles have all worked perfectly for me.

Caporegime
Our business has just dumped several hundred maybe even thousands of windows phones because they're just not in the same league as Android and iOS for business integration. They can do emails and calendars and not much else, the others can access live hr systems, document management databases etc etc.

Windows Phone probably has an even bleaker outlook in the corporate world than it does in the consumer one.

Soldato
A past/present WP user will correct that person by saying that it's technically not dead due to X, Y and Z and that they find it perfectly usable for their needs which is then met with continuous replies of - "Yeah....but it's dead".

I like this bit. I think we've already agreed that technically it isn't dead. No-one here is trying to say you can't buy a WP or there wont be a new WP again... I think we've already agreed we have different interpretations of what a 'dead' OS is. To many of us, it's WP...

Caporegime
I can't see it lasting another year tbh. I think Microsoft will quietly just disregard it.

They may have already done so. There's been no confirmation that there will be any more Lumia phones, and Lumia account for 95% of WP sales. So no Lumias basically means no Windows Phones.

Soldato
Can you expand on why you think this is?
Predominantly UI and workflow; every time i've used it, i've found it to be easier and quicker to complete tasks over iOS/Android.
That's not to say WP is perfect, not at all; personally i believe Blackberry hit the nail on the head with OS10.

I'd be interested to hear why you think they are?
Can't say i've had any issues integrating WP into a MS environment.

For example, we have on site Microsoft AD, Azure AD, and a corporate Office 365 subscription. I cannot use any of those 3 accounts as the primary account to log into a Windows Phone. I must instead create a Personal Microsoft Account, sign in with that, and then add the rest as secondary accounts. That isn't seemless business integration.
Granted it's a slight oversight and hopefully they'll look into being able to add support for those accounts or merge/link accounts but from what i understand, Microsoft accounts are a completely different platform to O365/Azure.
But arguably it's no different to other mobile OS's were you're required to use manufacture specific mobile accounts to use the device.

I think we've already agreed we have different interpretations of what a 'dead' OS is.
But there's only one definition for the word dead :confused:

Caporegime
Its not the same as other providers. A Google Apps account is the equivalent of an Office 365 account. As far as Google/Android are concerned there is zero difference between that and a personal Google Account. You can use it as the primary and only account on Android phones.

You can only use one of the array of different MS accounts as the primary account on Windows Phone, and its none of the Business ones.

Caporegime
However Skeeter, you can sign your o365/work account up as Microsoft account.

My active directory account which is synced to o365 using dirsync, is also a Microsoft Account. Therefore I use(d) a single account with my Lumia.

The fact that your internal AD account is not the same as your Azure AD account just means that your IT department haven't bothered to configure either ADFS or Dirsync/Azure AD Connect :p

Caporegime
Not quite. You can create a Microsoft Account using your O365 email address, but its still a separate account to your O365 account.

I have a Microsoft Account that is my O365 email, and my O365 account is in our Azure AD, but they aren't the same thing. Using TFS is a pain because of this.

Soldato
They may have already done so. There's been no confirmation that there will be any more Lumia phones, and Lumia account for 95% of WP sales. So no Lumias basically means no Windows Phones.

Why do you keep talking about the Lumia line? They are already gone as the 950 phones are just got Microsoft on them, the name Lumia was always going to be dropped the 950s are the last models to have the name.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom