RMA Problems *NOT OCUK*

Associate
Good Evening All,

A certain Bolton competitor is giving me a serious headache with an RMA.

I purchased a Inno3D GTX480 in June 2010 for £375.99 which came with 2 year warranty. This February the card began to cycle once the nVidia driver is installed and I began the RMA process with the competitor company.

The manufacture is in Hong Kong and the cost of post would be silly amounts and rather it be sent so far away off my own back I thought it would be easier if this competitor honoured the warranty and dealt with issue themselves, which they did unfortunately.

Now the RMA process was started on 10/02/2012 which was 62 days ago today. I emailed them at least once a week for an update on the RMA and all I ever got was "We will contact you once we have an update for you" and within the past couple of weeks is were the trouble started.

I got advice on the situation and I was told that a company is within right to repair or replace in a reasonable time of 28 days after that a refund of some sort. I've mentioned this to them and at the time it had been 56 days and I have neither a confirmed replacement, repair or refund and I would like either of the three options as lets be honest they're 28 days beyond the reasonable turn around.

Present date, I received an email this morning and is as follows:

HI

Further to your mail, we have been unable to get a repair / replacement within this time. The card is currently with our suppliers and I do not yet have a an exact date that this will be resolved. As such we can offer a refund taking into account usage and depreciation, the refund works out at £53.33

Please reply directly to this mail.

Regards

############
##################

Soon as I received this email I rang up the RMA department and this is what I was told.

The value given £53.33 is what the competitor believes the GTX480 is currently worth in Market Value using this formula.

Product Value at Time of Purchase divide by Amount of Warranty Product Has then multiply the Amount of Warranty Left.

With this formula I am entitled to £62.66 but wait, they don't include VAT so the grand total is £53.33

Now something is seriously wrong here, if I could replace the GTX480 with £53.33 I would buy two of them and SLI them but that's not the case. The case is that market value of a GTX480 is roughly around £140? So that means I need to fork out another £100 to replace the card now that's warranty and service at its best right?

I smelt a rat somewhere so my friend rang up trading standards whilst I was on the phone to monkeys on my behalf.

The trading standards women said and I quote;

"The partial refund can not be calculated on the manufacture warranty period and must be calculated on the deemed reasonable time period in England which is 6 years use, age and condition much be taken into account when calculating a refund."

The phone's close at 6PM so I couldn't get back to them in time as I busy today but I did send them another email with these facts and I await a reply.

Where am I to stand with this? Frankly I feel out of my depth as I've never had to deal with this situation before but I am in no mood for being fobbed off and if this company is breaking the law or particular legislation how can I go about solving this? All I want is another GTX480 or the equivalent next generation card, nothing more. I don't want thousands out of them just a simple resolution.

Thank you for reading this and I appreciate every comment and help towards solving this petty situation.

Sincerely,
Psyoletic

Soldato
I do not know the answer, but are we covered by our own laws when buying from overseas and out of the EU? Maybe you should say you want a replacement and not the offered refund?

Edit: while stating that you simply cannot buy a second hand replacement for that low ammount in this country?

Last edited:
Associate
This is what you do. Go to Bolton and T Bag all the staff at this competitor, then help yourself to a brand new gtx680 on their behalf.

In all seriousness that sounds very wrong on their part. I RMA'd a board to ASUS through a local shop and after 3 months of emailing them I managed to get a vastly superior board as compensation for the delay. You've been waiting a ridiculously long time so it makes it even more cheeky of them to offer such a low amount of money.

Soldato
I have nothing constructive to add other than the fact that sounds like awful service, and I hope you manage to get it sorted.

Soldato
Firstly, the RMA has not taken place within a reasonable amount of time, breaking the 1979 sale of goods act.

Secondly, no way is a 480 worth so little! Maybe I could understand £150ish

Finally, if it's within warranty, surely you should get a like for like replacement? In this case it's not possible so I'd presume you'd get a 580/570.

Gigabyte replaced my 480 with a 580, maybe you could try for the same?

Soldato
Firstly, the RMA has not taken place within a reasonable amount of time, breaking the 1979 sale of goods act.

Secondly, no way is a 480 worth so little! Maybe I could understand £150ish

Finally, if it's within warranty, surely you should get a like for like replacement? In this case it's not possible so I'd presume you'd get a 580/570.

Gigabyte replaced my 480 with a 580, maybe you could try for the same?

They can't offer a replacement or repair, even though they have 480's in stock, they won't give him one and are sticking by the 53 pound valuation.

this has already been reported to trading standards, and they agree with the OP that they are in the wrong.

Friends don't let friends buy from **** a Bolton Retailer.

Soldato
They can't offer a replacement or repair, even though they have 480's in stock, they won't give him one and are sticking by the 53 pound valuation.

this has already been reported to trading standards, and they agree with the OP that they are in the wrong.

Friends don't let friends buy from **** a Bolton Retailer.

They don't have 480s in stock :confused: (I'm guessing we're thinking f different places)

I'm suggesting that they offer him a 570/80 as a fair replacement as am in no way disagreeing with you, I'm not 100% sure what your point is.

Associate
All the bull about the manufacturer is irrelevant. Your contract is with the retailer. You've spoken to cab, go back if they don't budge and they'll probably advise you to get a solicitor involved.

Soldato
Said competitor have a 480 (EVGA) in stock at the £180 mark. That's what it would cost for you to replace your product with a like for like replacement, so that's what I'd want off of them.

Alternatively I'd happily take a 'like for like' replacement if they would allow it. Now technically I think you can get away with things like a 580, however realistically as performance is so close I'd happily take a 570. If I was at a relatively short period of time into the RMA, I'd probably push it based on VRAM limitation, but considering your point I might take a 570....

Go speak to trading standards again, get them involved, make the company aware that you're getting the, involved, and I believe they'll advise you to write some kind of letter.

kd

Soldato
"The partial refund can not be calculated on the manufacture warranty period and must be calculated on the deemed reasonable time period in England which is 6 years use, age and condition much be taken into account when calculating a refund."

Frankly I don't think that's true. Some things cannot reasonably be expected to last for 6 years.

Soldato
If its the company near the rebok stadium then they are well known for dodgy dealing and behaviour like this. Its no surprise thier name rhymes with the sort of behaviour they are famous for.

Get onto trading standards and send a formal letter stating your intention to persue a case.

Soldato
Said competitor have a 480 (EVGA) in stock at the £180 mark. That's what it would cost for you to replace your product with a like for like replacement, so that's what I'd want off of them.

Alternatively I'd happily take a 'like for like' replacement if they would allow it. Now technically I think you can get away with things like a 580, however realistically as performance is so close I'd happily take a 570. If I was at a relatively short period of time into the RMA, I'd probably push it based on VRAM limitation, but considering your point I might take a 570....

Go speak to trading standards again, get them involved, make the company aware that you're getting the, involved, and I believe they'll advise you to write some kind of letter.

kd

Ah I know the competitor now.

Ridiculous service. Absolutely ****! They took 15 minutes to pick the phone up. 15 MINUTES!!

5UB has managed to track an order down for me within 15 seconds! :p

I'm surprised they has so many awards considering so many people seem to be getting shody service from them.

Back on topic; an EVGA 480, it can be argued that it is not a like for like replacement for an inno3d 480 as EVGA cards do carry a huge premium, but I think any respectable retailer would immediately offer it as a solution to appease the customer.

Frankly I don't think that's true. Some things cannot reasonably be expected to last for 6 years.

A graphics card can. Perishables are the only things that won't last for 6 years, atleast that's all I can think off from the top of my head.

~Clee

Caporegime
ive had gfx cards , motherboards , cpus and soundcards last over 6 years with almost 24/7 use

i bet they had the card RMA back and stuck it in there stock to sell it

you should demand proof the card was even sent back to the manufacturer and the current status of the request

Soldato
ive had gfx cards , motherboards , cpus and soundcards last over 6 years with almost 24/7 use

i bet they had the card RMA back and stuck it in there stock to sell it

you should demand proof the card was even sent back to the manufacturer and the current status of the request

When asked where there card is now they couldn't even give a straight answer, and just said the card is with suppliers where it's been for the past 2 month, IMO they have lost it.

Soldato
When asked where there card is now they couldn't even give a straight answer, and just said the card is with suppliers where it's been for the past 2 month, IMO they have lost it.

Don't give up on this, I had a similar sort of problem with a Gigabyte card that had to be sent to Taiwan years ago. I didn't keep up the pressure and the company lost my card. It was only £80 lost but still, never buying there again.

Associate
OP

kd

As if I browsed the internet for similar situations it seems a GTX580 is the replacement of choice from many manufactures and Inno3D themselves have replaced GTX480's with GTX580's.

Tomorrow I will give them options and lets see which one they take!

In the PC consumer market I do believe it is 6 years which was introduced couple years ago.

Looking at the RMA Returns tracker the card has been at the suppliers a week after I sent them the card. I was told in many emails that they're waiting for the manufacture when all this time it was sitting somewhere in England.

Back
Top Bottom