Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Woo, got my CRC order.

Castelli Gillet fits nicely, wouldn't want to be anything but slim though, it is a fitted garment, I can see why a lot of people say they are undersized.

Have had the chain slip once every 20km or so, not sure if its just being lazy and I'm perhaps not shifting until it positively clicks or if the chains worn. On my chain checker it shows as 0.50 so a way off 0.75 yet. Done about 2500km on it, up to 1000k for the year now.

Time to overhaul my MTB now, I was waiting on some cone spanners to tighten the rear hub and fix the rear caliper.

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;23978648 said:
Which Gillet did you get? I've got the Rossa Corsa and the Gabba F-Awesome. Both are great. Only downside of the RC is no rear pockets.

The Compatto Gilet, I wouldn't have wanted to pay RRP for it, but it was about £35. Good fit for me, and used it already, wind and nicely waterproof.

Soldato
I've ordered a Marmot gilet made from Gore Windstopper softshell for use when rock climbing. I'm hoping it will double up as a cycling gilet but if not I might have to get a cycling specific one. I'm concerned the fit won't be slim/tight, the back isn't meshed so I'll get sweaty and also it doesn't have rear pockets.

So are the Castelli gilets good? I'd want it to be race cut, windproof but softshell rather than any of the boil in the bag type of materials. Rear pockets are a must too.

Associate
Agh! My lift for the Cheshire Cat's been struck down with man flu. I've got an alternative one but even that one's dubious with how cold it's looking likely to be.

[/darthvadernoooooo.jpg]

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
A car driver took the time to congratulate me on my excellent cycling. At least, I think that's what they said, though it did sound a lot like they said "idiot". That can't be right, though, because I was covered in reflective bits and bobs, wearing a helmet, my bike had lights on it, I was riding sensibly, the whole lot. I must have misheard them..
Sadly, it probably was some twunk sending abuse in your direction. You've done nothing wrong, but some people just seem to have a bee in their bonnet :(

Caporegime
[Damien];23980095 said:
Agh! My lift for the Cheshire Cat's been struck down with man flu. I've got an alternative one but even that one's dubious with how cold it's looking likely to be.

[/darthvadernoooooo.jpg]

Yeah, I spoke to Walt yesterday and it sounded a bit touch and go. He sounded like absolute death. His voice is ruined. He said he was going to get in touch with PC to sort you out, but as you say that too was a bit unsure. Apparently PC thinks he's got a bit of frostbite from going out on Saturday morning, even though he had 3 pairs of gloves on...

Walt was showing me his new bike, which he's nearly finished. He needs to pick up a right 105 shifter and then cable it up and get the bar tape on, and then he's done. His winter bike will be done just in time for summer ;)

Caporegime
Sadly, it probably was some twunk sending abuse in your direction. You've done nothing wrong, but some people just seem to have a bee in their bonnet :(

Aye. My dad made a similar point, that some drivers will get cross with any other road user they regard as impeding their progress. He's coming at it from the angle of someone who regularly walks to places on country lanes without pavements and catches flak from passing drivers.

At the end of the day, at absolute worst a good cyclist is slower than a car, nothing else. And if you're such an impatient driver that you can't stand those 5-10 seconds before you can safely overtake, then you really need to look at yourself...

Associate
Yeah, I spoke to Walt yesterday and it sounded a bit touch and go. He sounded like absolute death. His voice is ruined. He said he was going to get in touch with PC to sort you out, but as you say that too was a bit unsure. Apparently PC thinks he's got a bit of frostbite from going out on Saturday morning, even though he had 3 pairs of gloves on...

Walt was showing me his new bike, which he's nearly finished. He needs to pick up a right 105 shifter and then cable it up and get the bar tape on, and then he's done. His winter bike will be done just in time for summer ;)

Yeah it's not looking good. He sounded well ill on the phone. He's going to text me PC's number. The Mrs has offered to take me if everything falls through but I'd rather sack it off than have her sat around for the best part of 3 hours, plus driving. I might be out of action myself with this sore throat and chest infection if i gets any worse but as it stands I should be ok.

Edit: It's been postponed due to the weather!!
Edit2: The new date for the Cat is the 7th July. I'm sure I'll be loads lighter by then and the warmer weather will be better for my ashtma so I'm happy with that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just ordered some Castelli Sorpasso bib tights and a Castelli Gabba long sleeve jersey. Pretty gutted my Rapha rain jacket is in for repair and have got caught out twice in the rain over the last week unprepared. The Gabba looks like just what i need for Sunday's Audax with this weather.

Soldato
[Damien];23980295 said:
Yeah it's not looking good. He sounded well ill on the phone. He's going to text me PC's number. The Mrs has offered to take me if everything falls through but I'd rather sack it off than have her sat around for the best part of 3 hours, plus driving. I might be out of action myself with this sore throat and chest infection if i gets any worse but as it stands I should be ok.

Edit: It's been postponed due to the weather!!
Edit2: The new date for the Cat is the 7th July. I'm sure I'll be loads lighter by then and the warmer weather will be better for my ashtma so I'm happy with that.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I'm in France then.

Associate
That sucks :(

Personally I'm going to celebrate not having to climb Mow Cop by eating 8.2 metric tons of chocolate. When I signed up I was hoping to get down to 190lb by this Sun (only got down to 195ish so far) so now I've got plenty of time to lose that and more.

From the sounds of it there's a few that can't make the new date, because of france and a chester sportive on the same date. I reckon it'll get revised at some point.

Caporegime
[DOD]Asprilla;23978648 said:
Which Gillet did you get? I've got the Rossa Corsa and the Gabba F-Awesome. Both are great. Only downside of the RC is no rear pockets.

Any suggestions to similar items to the Fawesome? I don't really want to spend £100 on a gillet, but am wanting a spare/new one as the weather gets warmer but still has that wind chill. I'd rather something a bit beefier than the wrap up into a pocket over shells.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any suggestions to similar items to the Fawesome? I don't really want to spend £100 on a gillet, but am wanting a spare/new one as the weather gets warmer but still has that wind chill.

I couldn't justify the cost of the Fawesome or Gore Xenon 2.0. I've instead gone for this one in XS, hopefully it won't be too tight!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-elite-bike-vest/

Seems to be what I'm looking for although it doesn't have pockets. I'll just use the pockets of my jersey underneath.

The other one I was eyeing up was this...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-ultra-light-windstopper-vest/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom