Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you do when the bottom bracket gets full of crap and you need to change it? :p

Hehe :D

To be honest one of the thoughts that crossed my mind was selling my CX, buying something cheap (Triban 3 territory) to abuse on my commute and putting the cash towards my new bike. Up until now I've been obsessively cleaning and maintaining my CX because it's also doubled as my weekend bike.

In the end I decided to just keep it because being able to run 32mm winter tyres plus mudguards when the weather gets dodgy is awesome.

send it to a LBS! thats my top tip.. when bb needs replacing dont do it your self.. :o

That's what I like about BB30. Your BB consists of two cartridge bearings and two clips stuck straight into the BB shell. That's it. It's going to be weird going back to external cups with this Canyon. I've not used those since my old MTB.

[Damien];24209051 said:
That's what I like about BB30. Your BB consists of two cartridge bearings and two clips stuck straight into the BB shell. That's it. It's going to be weird going back to external cups with this Canyon. I've not used those since my old MTB.

external cups are ok.. the internal ones and plastic is just a hell! id slap the person that thought it was a good idea.. when i finally got them out i saw rust between the thread of plastic and alu and thats what probably caused it to lock up so bad

[Damien];24209003 said:
Hehe :D

To be honest one of the thoughts that crossed my mind was selling my CX, buying something cheap (Triban 3 territory) to abuse on my commute and putting the cash towards my new bike. Up until now I've been obsessively cleaning and maintaining my CX because it's also doubled as my weekend bike.

In the end I decided to just keep it because being able to run 32mm winter tyres plus mudguards when the weather gets dodgy is awesome.

Good call. Besides, when something does break it's good to have a spare steed lying around.

That extra gear isn't at the top or bottom so it actually means you can have a wider range with smaller gaps = smoother shifting.

Quite a few other improvements too like breaking etc and the ergonomics of DA 9000 shifters which compared to 7900 is much nicer.

Also means reasonably priced cassettes for my R5 rather than the ludicrously expensive 11 Speed DA cassettes.

I can see myself getting it and putting it on the Ti so both bikes use the same tools, then getting a cheapish alloy frame to build up w/ SRAM Rival from the Ti to use for racing.

[DOD]Asprilla;24209117 said:
It's the brake callipers that I like the look of.

I also like the idea of a single crankset that has the BCD/PCD for double, compact and CX chainrings. That will simplify things a lot.
Yeah defeinitely looks like the best update to me.

That extra gear isn't at the top or bottom so it actually means you can have a wider range with smaller gaps = smoother shifting.

Quite a few other improvements too like breaking etc and the ergonomics of DA 9000 shifters which compared to 7900 is much nicer.

Also means reasonably priced cassettes for my R5 rather than the ludicrously expensive 11 Speed DA cassettes.

I can see myself getting it and putting it on the Ti so both bikes use the same tools, then getting a cheapish alloy frame to build up w/ SRAM Rival from the Ti to use for racing.
Yeah I was mostly being faceitous :p.

Better option though would be for you to give me your R5.

I know this is verging on blasphemy for this forum, but is there likely to be a triple chainset for the new Ultegra 6800 kit? Looking at the new 11-32t cassette, I'm guessing that Shimano are replicating SRAM's WiFLi idea and dispensing with the triple option.

I know this is verging on blasphemy for this forum, but is there likely to be a triple chainset for the new Ultegra 6800 kit? Looking at the new 11-32t cassette, I'm guessing that Shimano are replicating SRAM's WiFLi idea and dispensing with the triple option.

why would you want a triple? biggest waste of time imo..

my new chainset is 50/34 and i quite like it.. not sure when ill sure the smaller ring tho :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom