Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Ah I see.

In the video you posted, the "wrong-way *****s" are doing what I was describing. I would scream at anyone cycling towards me going the wrong way down the cycle lane!

I was cycling down a bike lane near Waterloo once with about 7 others going the same way as me, and there was a guy on a Boris bike going the opposite way and everybody else was moving out into the road for him. I said to him "You can't just cycle the wrong way down a road", and he shouted abuse at me! Unbelievable.

Caporegime
they are £2 on ebay.. :o

cheapest I saw on ebay were 6.99 for a set but with BS shipping and an estimated delivery date of the end of the month lol..

rather pay extra and get them fast, gutted this is the best weather we have had up north in weeks and I snapped a bolt :(

almost tempted to go out with just the granny gear LOL

Soldato
Soldato
So I've ordered the Planet X 105 Shimano and gone for the carbon frame option :eek: I just don't think I can justify paying quite a lot more for quite a bit worse a bike from my LBS sadly.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLS105/planet_x_xls_shimano_105_cyclocross_bike

Pretty excited about it :D

that's the one I'm looking at getting at the end of year.. not a massive fan of carbon frame and this -; http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/road-bikes/beone-bikes/beone-mistral-race-road-bike.html

looks VERY meaty for the price.. hopefully its still in stock when I'm ready to order it.

Caporegime
Soldato
no lol.
9.99 + £5 delivery :D
I guess a courier is going to come with a tiny little package :D

even if I cancelled my order and went with the one you linked on ebay theres no guarantee the guy would get to the post office in time or that RM would deliver the next day with a first class stamp anyway

meh you'll have to wait anyway :o 1st class is normally next day for me.. after the seller takes 3 days to dispatch lol.

Man of Honour
that's the one I'm looking at getting at the end of year.. not a massive fan of carbon frame and this -; http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/road-bikes/beone-bikes/beone-mistral-race-road-bike.html

looks VERY meaty for the price.. hopefully its still in stock when I'm ready to order it.

I was originally thinking of switching it to a steel frame but the reviews I could find of this frame were fairly promising and I already have a reasonable steel frame cotic x so...y'know :)

The bike you've linked to looks very shiny indeed. No disc brakes though :(

Soldato
I was originally thinking of switching it to a steel frame but the reviews I could find of this frame were fairly promising and I already have a reasonable steel frame cotic x so...y'know :)

The bike you've linked to looks very shiny indeed. No disc brakes though :(

meh disc brakes while nice to have is not a priority in my case.. getting the best bang for buck is what I want and alu frame is perfect.. shame that most ~1k bikes come with carbon and tiagra groupo... id love to see more 1k with alu/steel and better groupo/wheelset and brakes.

Man of Honour
meh disc brakes while nice to have is not a priority in my case.. getting the best bang for buck is what I want and alu frame is perfect.. shame that most ~1k bikes come with carbon and tiagra groupo... id love to see more 1k with alu/steel and better groupo/wheelset and brakes.

Personally I don't like alu so I guess we're kind of polar opposites on that :p Steel is generally my first choice but decent carbon can win me over. Disc brakes are always extremely high priority for me though.

To be honest this is the first year I've noticed 1k bikes coming with much better than sora :/ (though I mostly look at CX bikes rather than road due to my love of discs).

Soldato
Have you ridden a carbon bike? It can make aluminium feel positively agricultural but as with anything there are good and bad of each.

I did and genuinely I didn't notice any difference ?! just felt like a different bike and that was it.. as expected really :)

What I'm worried about is cracking/breaking of the frame.. my roadie had a few falls, hits etc and its still going.. my carbon fork has a few chips etc and its ok tho, I guess I just need to bite the bullet and own one for a while.

Soldato
You have to ride a few, I used to feel the same and the first few I rode all felt a bit 'dead'. I'm a complete convert now

Carbon > *

olv

olv

Soldato
I was sceptical with alu vs. carbon and only ended up with a carbon frame due to supply issues and sigma graciously upgrading me. The way my Z6 absorbs road buzz compared with my old Allez is amazing, but then the Cervelo S1 feels pretty great and the Focus Cayo Evo I had a quick blast on was rock solid by comparison to mine.

I'm not sure where the whole carbon being fragile thing comes from. If you smash into something hard enough to crack/snap a carbon frame, then an alu frame would almost certainly be wrecked too.

Soldato
I was sceptical with alu vs. carbon and only ended up with a carbon frame due to supply issues and sigma graciously upgrading me. The way my Z6 absorbs road buzz compared with my old Allez is amazing, but then the Cervelo S1 feels pretty great and the Focus Cayo Evo I had a quick blast on was rock solid by comparison to mine.

I'm not sure where the whole carbon being fragile thing comes from. If you smash into something hard enough to crack/snap a carbon frame, then an alu frame would almost certainly be wrecked too.

The main difference is carbon is generally only strong in one direction. Aluminium is generally stronger. Steel is the most crashable

Caporegime

I guess it's more about the cracks you can't see.

what's the lifetime on a carbon frame supposed to be?

I'd be a bit paranoid about owning one although you're probably right and there's no good reason to be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom