Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Just heard back from my LBS that my backup wheels can't be repaired. Thought I only had a broken spoke but turns out the spokes have seized in the rim (or something) and it can't be sorted. The front wheel needed trued, and he said he did the best he could with that one.

Gutted. Were only Pro-Lite Braccianos, but made good spares.

Need to source done decent wheels for commuting...

Soldato
I think it's worth wearing a helmet, if you fall off at speed, your side, legs arms etc, will most likely take most of the impact but the helmet may save you from a smaller knock you get as well.

Saying that I rode to school without one, and used to ride a few miles to work without one when I lived in the uk. For longer rides where I was only riding the bike I would wear one. Just get used to it, feels strange without one now.

Soldato
Looking for a bit of advice. In the process of building up my singlespeed, and encountered another problem. I'm replacing the old weimann 500 calipers with newer sora calipers. Replaced the back fine, but the bolt that goes through the front fork seems to be stuck fast. I can't even see how I'm supposed to remove it? There is a teeny weeny (4mm?) hex head at the front end of the bolt that I could get a socket for, but I'm not convinced it'll budge. Am I missing something here?

Caporegime
I think it's worth wearing a helmet, if you fall off at speed, your side, legs arms etc, will most likely take most of the impact but the helmet may save you from a smaller knock you get as well.

Saying that I rode to school without one, and used to ride a few miles to work without one when I lived in the uk. For longer rides where I was only riding the bike I would wear one. Just get used to it, feels strange without one now.

I don't wear a helmet and fell of twice so far (both times last year not long after buying the bike)

once at 16mph ish trying to turn a corner at to shallow an angle and the back wheel skidded along a raised curb whilst the front end was going a different way.

Didn't come close to hitting my head but scraped my palm pretty bad.

second time at the park when it was raining going about 12mph breaking for a bend and the back wheel must have slipped on wet moss or leaves as the bike ended up underneath me and pretty much the same damage done.

I can see how a helmet can help you if it's your own fault like the above but if it's an accident with a motor vehicle then I don't see it making much difference.

If I went speeding down descents at 30+ mph then I would likely wear one or if I was an actual commuter

Proper kevlar motorcycle armour might make a huge different but I don't see the helmet brigade wearing them instead they neglect the other 90% of their body that will likely need skin grafts in any accident where a helmet saved their life.

Usually the biggest voice about helmet safety isn't actual cyclists anyway it's other people who perceive a danger that is wildly exaggerated by the media and government.

Last edited:
Soldato
Should just be a 5mm allen key through the back of the fork.

Most are full of dirt and crap so make it hard. Try and excavate the head of the bolt using a wee sharp thing.

Failing that you could spin the caliper anti clockwise which will remove it and then you can set about hammering the stuck part out of the back of the fork.

Soldato
I'm being a bit dumb I think. Is this what you expected to see?

You have taken all the bolts off it so it should be free to move now. Tap the back end of the bolt with a hammer and the whole thing should slide out the front.

Also, once you get it out you'll probably need to drill the hole on the rear side of the fork a little bigger to get modern calipers in there. Check that you have the correct 'drop' before you drill anything (make sure the pads can line up with the braking surfaces with the brake in place)

Last edited:
Soldato
No riding today, replaced my chain, not sure if it was suitable to use my chain breaker but it worked OK.

You are also supposed to need a power link tool for 10 speed SRAM but a pair of pliers works fine (YouTube)!

Did 4000km on the old one and it was showing between 0.5 and 0.75 on my chain tool, rather replace chains than a red cassette. Seems a little smoother it's a 1091R replacing a 1091 regular chain.

Associate
New bike on the way, need a new set of peddles compatible with Shimano cleats. Thinking of picking up the R550. Does anyone here ride these, or should I treat myself to a new set of shoes and a different system?

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;26302689 said:
E&C is the worst junction. Worse than Bow.

it is quite bad.. I've cycled over it a few times and it is a hell!

sucks that my little bother has to do it everyday :o with loads of other cyclists because it is the easiest way to get to london bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom