Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
[DOD]Asprilla;26661810 said:
Of course I'll be wearing a suit. And a tie.

Shirt, tie and jacket must be worn. Lycra will lead to disqualification. Shoes and pedal are unrestricted. Helmets must be worn.

How far is it? That's going to be pretty grim on a hot day...

Could you even put clipless pedals on brompton cranks? They have folding pedals, don't they?

Last edited:
Soldato
Arundel Mandible - Fantastic, grip on bottles is amazing, no movement or worrying about them at all.

Super tough handicap today, I was actually looking forward to the hills as the pace on the flat was so high. Came down to a sprint finish into a monster headwind, I was too near the front and had it in the small chainring as the wind was that strong so ended up giving everyone else a monster lead out. Good for building fitness though!

Associate
Gents, hoping you can offer a n00b a bit of advice; I bought a single speed a year ago with the intention of commuting but just couldn't get into it - a lack of fitness + hills + single speed is never going to quite add up! So am now looking to get into it again, but this time with added gears.
Now, the question, do I buy new (Felt F95 looks an obvious choice), or spend the same amount and buy second hand? At 6'3 my choice of 2nd hand bikes are somewhat limited, and also I fear they may not have all had the appropriate love they deserve. What are people's thoughts, new or second hand?
Thanks in advance

Caporegime
Felt f95 looks like your best bet, yeah. New 9 speed sora is great for the price. You might get better second hand, but with your size and the uncertainty over how well something had been looked after it could turn I to a wild goose chase.

Caporegime
I bought the elite cages which were supposed to be excellent and are a few quid.

They weren't, so rather than end up with $60 of **** cages I bought one to do the job properly ;)

What's wrong with elite bottle cages? had no problem with mine and SIS bottles that hold 800ml
No bottle movement at all even on trails with my cx bike

Caporegime
I think the Elite cages must struggle to hold in bottles upside down.

;)

On the first proper ride I went out on, when I was still borrowing my neighbour's old bike, before I bought it off him, I went over a bump and the bottom fell out of the cage on the seat tube and the bottle rolled off down the road. Rubbish. That was the same ride when I didn't know how to handle a bike at speed and took a bend too fast, hit the kerb and somersaulted into a thorny hedge. Rubbish, again.

Soldato
Another puncture on my back tyre today. I've ordered a new Pro4End to replace it and for now I'm going to stick one of my old *vomit smiley* Gatorskins back on there. Urgh :(

that's what happens when you ignore my advice ;) just took a massive piece of glass out of my rear tyre, left a nice cut.. no puncture tho :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom