Road Cycling

Soldato
I had heard the aero link brakes weren’t too bad?

I recently changed from the previous gen Red to the aerolinks to DA9000 and nothing bad to say about them.

My Red callipers never needed much adjustment, but you had to make sure they were done up pretty tight with the serrated washer on there or they would move.

As for shifting, my Rival 22 is as good as the Force or Red, it is obviously heavier. VFM not that great as the shifters are expensive compared to Shimano.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting info there, cheers

Need to look at tightening them up, but I'm always worried the inset female thread in the Cervelo frame will shear off an just spin. Then much faffing around to remove and set another one (think Hambini did a good video on this).

Also researching rear cameras as I had a silly old Doris nearly run me down the other day pulling off a silly slow overtake right before a traffic island. I was already up to 38mph in the 40 limit, then after cutting me up (pulling in to not hit the island) she put on the brakes so I just ended up flying back down her inside before being able to react. Then once infront I peeled out into the centre of the lane for a proper defence to stop her attempting it again. Muppets everywhere post-lockdown.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've went to SRAM. Had 105 5800 and Ulteg 6800 prior and the SRAM Force rim brakes are better than both those whilst being lighter than current DA brakes.

Force chainset and etap shifters/etap mechs and it shifts nicer than Ulteg 6800.

I deliberately avoided the Red brakes for that floating aero nonsense. They are silly light and this stuff was all originally for the HC bike so I was going to go Red but avoided for all the annoyances you boys mention :)

Still running Shimano cassettes (105 5800 11-28) and KMC X11 EL chains. Happy.

Soldato
More 5800/6800 gear cable woes :( Seriously must be the 15th I've had snap or nearly snap.

Replaced it today but noticed tension is very high so I guess outer needs replacing prematurely too. I've noticed the derailleur body has some play with the cage. Not sure if normal? Video below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DgfP5Sa5YPKx2ebr9

Also, check my chain/hanger clearance... that's always felt silly close but the hanger is straight as per Park DAG tool. Checked it again this morning.

Soldato
More 5800/6800 gear cable woes :( Seriously must be the 15th I've had snap or nearly snap.

Replaced it today but noticed tension is very high so I guess outer needs replacing prematurely too. I've noticed the derailleur body has some play with the cage. Not sure if normal? Video below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DgfP5Sa5YPKx2ebr9

Also, check my chain/hanger clearance... that's always felt silly close but the hanger is straight as per Park DAG tool. Checked it again this morning.

How many miles are you doing before changing, guessing it's always the rear?

Soldato
So I think my Cycle2Work drama/dilema will finally be coming to an end. You may remember I ordered and received an Orbea Gain F20 and with the remaining voucher I ordered a 2019 Boardman HYB 8.8 (worth £700). They've run out of those, so have upgraded me for free to a 2020 Boardman HYB 8.9, worth £1,025! Can't say fairer than that!

Soldato
Rubbish ride tonight, took out the cx bike and got to the first trail and put a tear in the sidewall, sealant did nothing, put the tube I had with me in and it wouldn't go up... 3 mile walk home, changed wheel after finding one (out of the 4 that would fit) that had a tyre and cassette on, got to bottom of road and thru axle had worked its way loose somehow... Tightened up and put in 2 banging sweetspot/threshold efforts for all of 20 mins of work. Luckily I smashed out the quickest 5k I've done in about a year first thing this morning otherwise it'd be a wasted day... Then I buggered up my pizza for dinner :(

Bad things come in threes right.

Soldato
So I think my Cycle2Work drama/dilema will finally be coming to an end. You may remember I ordered and received an Orbea Gain F20 and with the remaining voucher I ordered a 2019 Boardman HYB 8.8 (worth £700). They've run out of those, so have upgraded me for free to a 2020 Boardman HYB 8.9, worth £1,025! Can't say fairer than that!
How many bikes do you have now? :D

Soldato
Yeah always the rear. Anywhere between 1500 and 4500.

I've probably only changed the front about 3-4 times total. Once a year or so.

I believe it's under the hoods they start to fray first on the bend that leads to tension issues first before snapping normally. Turning the rear derailleur adjuster counter clockwise won't get you into the biggest ring, then you know it's about to snap. I've had this happen as early as 2200 miles and so now try and change at 2000. A complete pain and why I'll go di2 next (ultegra 6800).

Soldato
I believe it's under the hoods they start to fray first on the bend that leads to tension issues first before snapping normally. Turning the rear derailleur adjuster counter clockwise won't get you into the biggest ring, then you know it's about to snap. I've had this happen as early as 2200 miles and so now try and change at 2000. A complete pain and why I'll go di2 next (ultegra 6800).

Yep. This is exactly what I had about 3 weeks ago and why I stopped using that bike. Though on replacing the cable it's very high tension and pretty useless still. I think outers must need changing too. Weekend job.

I was using di2 bike for last 3 weeks. Still not convinced by it really. While the cable doesn't snap I do seem to only get about 1000 miles out of a charge.

Soldato
Yep. This is exactly what I had about 3 weeks ago and why I stopped using that bike. Though on replacing the cable it's very high tension and pretty useless still. I think outers must need changing too. Weekend job.

I was using di2 bike for last 3 weeks. Still not convinced by it really. While the cable doesn't snap I do seem to only get about 1000 miles out of a charge.
I had it snap once on my old 105 grouppo in the same spot the fix was to get one of the "low friction" coated cables with internally greased sleves that was the last cable I replaced.

Back
Top Bottom