Road Cycling

Caporegime
:D :p

My girlfriend wants to start doing some more exercise (although, she does more during the day than me given she works in a shop, and I sit at a PC all day). She's not really keen on cycling though, so it might have to be a bit of running :o

You could try riding *nudge nudge wink wink*

Tough on the hips, though. Mine anyway.

Yes, yes, I know, TMI.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Turned my first pedal post-op this afternoon, just round the garden. Bit naughty, bit stiff, but it happened. Not bad progress for just under two weeks :)

I think I'll be ok to cycle to the docs to get my stitches out on Thursday. 1.5 miles each way on the flat seems do-able if I swap the pedals back to flats.

Soldato
Ok guys as promised here is a more detailed report on http://www.maratona.it/it/. Thanks to those of you that offered Kudos for the ride.
As a reminder here it is with corrected elevation data https://www.strava.com/activities/628759803. So 87 miles and near 18,000ft of elevation.

I am writing this up as I really want to recommend the event to all of you that love your riding and fancy a challenge. This is the best event I have done by far and for many different reasons.

This was the 30th edition and much of it featured in this years Giro which meant a bit of resurfacing on some roads and a higher profile. It also served a warning to entrants as to how tough an event it can be as the Giro stage really was quite attritional. The pro's stage was a bit longer at 200km but I'm not sure it had much more elevation. Here it is. http://www.steephill.tv/players/profile/?race=giro-d-italia&stage=14&year=2016&src=http://www.steephill.tv/2016/giro-d-italia/profile-14.jpg. Esteban Chaves won the day.

We arrived in San Cassiano on Thursday evening after flying to Venice. Its about a 2.5 hour drive from the airport. San Cassiano is a little ski resort like many in the area. Its not massive but handy for the start of the race and has reasonable amenities including quite a nice bike shop. The place was full of cyclists. We planned a recce ride on Friday to check out a couple of the climbs and get a warm up. It was quite a warm day and I probably went a little strong but then again I don't cope in the heat so well. It always seems to send my HR up by up to 10 bpm.
https://www.strava.com/activities/626505459
32 miles and 5,500ft of elevation. It was a lovely little loop and a good sighter. There were a lot of riders out on the road and a very friendly bunch. I chatted to a few Italians on the Falzarego climb and got in the way of a few on the descents. I descend like a pussy that day. Purely lacking confidence at speed and technique, something I am pleased to say I largely remedied on race day. In the UK you just dont get a chance to try this sort of descend and it was obvious who the brits were. Quite a few were riding their brakes all the way down and picking poor lines. The Italians in general are crazy, but crazy good descenders. They rocketed past me on the Friday. My riding buddy was also much more confident and left me behind with his superior skills allegedly gained from downhill MTB.

On reflection the ride was a good warm up because it showed me that I would not be able to sustain that pace in heat or over a longer course. 49% was at threshold which wasnt going to be sustainable.
Saturday we went down to register and pick up our numbers. A lot of riders rode to this location but we drove which was a nightmare as there were so many bikes! The registration area in Badia was split between a sort of Bike Expo with a lot of quite interesting exhibitors including a stand full of Campag loveliness. Selle Italia were there also measuring peoples arses for saddles. There was a fair bit to see. Registration was slick. Queue, hand in your form and medical cert and then pick up your numbers and goodie bag.
This is where it gets good. The goodie bag is amazing. You get amongst the sponsor leaflets
1 * Maratona branded Castelli Jersey
1 * Maratona branded Castelli Windproof Gilet
A x-bionic skull cap
A buff
Castelli chamois sample
A bottle of prosecco
Enervit Drink Bottle
Sportwear shampoo
Enervit one handed gel
Enervit energy powder

I reckon the jersey and Gilet were worth £70 easy and bear in mind entry was 116 euros. Plus you got a Maratona cap at the finish when you handed your timing chip back. Is that not value! Remember this is also closed roads.

Rested up Saturday, ate up pasta and pizza and then got all our kit ready.

Dressing for this event needs to be planned. I ended up taking my castelli Muur rain jacket but I only wore it on the first climb and then on the descents. I'd recommend you anyone takes at least a gilet for the descents.

Ready for a 445am rise and breakfast! I didnt sleep that well. It rained heavily at one point and I was a bit nervous. 430am came fast and I forced down some cereal and a banana. The weather forecast was for overcast conditions with a chance of rain. The roads were a bit damp as we coasted down to La Villa where our group would start. Bear in mind there are 9000 entrants so start logistics are complex. We were funneled into a side road and gathered at around 545am. We then had a fair wait but passed the time eyeing up the other bikes. there was a lot of expensive kit. Next to me was an older guy on a Venge Vias with Dura Ace electronic. I saw him on the first climb and he was labouring!

Helicopters sweep overhead as the race is televised live, We waved but then also jeered as they froze us with the rotor wash! Getting moving out of our pen towards the start was a slow process but eventually we made it across the start line and began the climb through Corvara and onto the Passo Campalongo. It's not a hard climb but it was busy and you had to go at the pace of the group. Getting to the top was quite easy and I found I gained a lot of confidence descending, able to judge my braking and lines much better.

I wont describe all the climbs but Pordoi, Sella and Gardena are next up. Pordoi probably the longest and hardest but with a great descent and the run down from Gardena to Corvara (back to the start) was amazing. A lot had been resurfaced and it was spectacular. Even I flew down. Riders then have a choice to continue on or finish the 55km loop. We were signed for the full 140km so I headed up the Campalongo again. This was my fastest ascent of the three I did and the descent was rapid too. By this time the roads were dry and the run down to the next course split was exhilarating. Its a c8 mile run to Andraz when you either head up the Falzarego or to the legendary Passo Giau.

There is a cut off time applied and we met some guys on the plane back who had fallen foul. One of them hadnt made the cut off on the short route and the other was forced up the medium. He probably wouldn't regret that if he had actually ridden the Giau.

http://veloviewer.com/segments/618935/athlete/375717

This climb is a basta**. It almost broke me. Especially when I got passed by a female dwarf on what looked like a kids bike. I stopped and rested at one point becuase I was running short on water so had to fill up at a mountain stream. It was also hot by then so I really suffered. It's seldom less than 10% and goes on for about 10km. I needed 34*29 and even thenI was crawling up. SO was everyone else! It also doent relent until you are over the top. I stopped again at the top for a natural break and some fuel to get me home. The food stops are great. YOu can get, water, salt drink, coke, orange, cake, cheese and ham rolls, biscuits, bananas, oranges. Really it was fabulous and plentiful.

After you've conquered the Giau you plummet down again toward the last long climb. Its another fabulous descent but soon its over and you are on your way up again. This side of the Falzarego was easier as it had a flat section and only the Valparolo Battlefield is a grind of 0.5 miles at 12%. By this time they had started to let some cars back on the roads which was a shame as it slowed me on the last descent. Nikes can get down faster than cars and by this time I was confident enough to pass the cars and get down the road. Coming back to Corvara for the finish has a nasty kick up the Mur dl Giat. Short but c20%. I powered up reasonably well and rode the final 2.5km to the finish. I did see a few guys walking up that one and one guy fell off.

I finished and with hindsight I could have gone faster. I paced it well as I got round without cracking but I am slightly disappointed with my time. A power meter might have helped me pace better but thats next years indulgence. However I can't complain as it was a great day and one that I really recommend.

https://goo.gl/photos/noHvNfYqFZY5nadK7
https://goo.gl/photos/pW2cWeeH8Y5Qpw6o7

Last edited:
Soldato
Another bitch is that my son's grand canyon was stolen last night outside his friend's house. I went off on one as he didn't say he was off to a mates, as he knows if he'd said that, I'd have said don't take your bike, for this precise reason. Ugh. :mad:
Argh, gutted! Hope he enjoyed riding it, that way the mistake will hit home very quickly and he'll learn from it (don't replace it too soon for this very reason!).
arm warmers -

Castelli Thermoflex Arm Warmers - seems to be the go to ones? Anyone got them, sizing etc??
Thermoflex are quite thick and wouldn't recommend them for summer. Nanoflex are water resistant and probably more the thickness you're expecting. Sportful NoRain are good also, not as fleecy backed as the Nanoflex and more stretchy.

Castelli Large are tight on me, Sportful Large are even tighter - almost too tight but I tried them in XL first and they were too loose. I also have a pair of DHB Regulate Light - Medium which I wear this time of year (cool mornings etc) they feel the the same material as a light jersey. They're not as stretchy as the others, but I use them quite a bit more! Actually more impressed by them than my Castelli Nanoflex's Knee warmers I got the same time...
Buying an 810 with the 820 looming does seem a bit like old tech. Though I've been looking forward to a colour screen but can't actually justify any real need for it, except the price point.
Buy an ELEMNT and then swap it with my 810? :p
With the constant problems I'm having with my Edge, I'm seriously contemplating moving my 1000 on.
Very tempted to move my 810 on and buy the ELEMNT. Don't think there's any other realistic options and I've been happy with anything else Wahoo & would rate them highly. My HRM (TICKR) is over 3 years old and have not skipped a beat (literally). It's only had 2 batteries in that time too!
Just call my Roady Jnr...
Que?

Soldato
That sounds amazing, thanks for sharing. I've been talking about doing the Maratona/Marmotte/Etape for years now, need to get my ass in gear and do it!

I'm just going to sign up for next years etape! Always worried about others to do it with, but figured enough people sign up someone will definitely be doing it that I know.

Soldato
Very tempted to move my 810 on and buy the ELEMNT. Don't think there's any other realistic options and I've been happy with anything else Wahoo & would rate them highly. My HRM (TICKR) is over 3 years old and have not skipped a beat (literally). It's only had 2 batteries in that time too!
Que?

Since posting this my Garmin is working fine.... :p Leaving it a bit longer at start up before recording activities seems to help.

Caporegime
Riding to work this morning and there's a van behind me. I follow the road round a sharp turn to the right and the van follows me and then I hear a whole load of banging and clattering. I look behind me and I can see all these lengths of pvc pipe, like 2 metres long, maybe more, falling off his roof, which must have decided to make a bid for freedom on the sharp turn. Top marks for a well secured load. Fortunately there were no other cars or pedestrians next to him at that point.

These are the idiots we're sharing the road with...

Last edited:
Soldato
So I tried sitting at 100 RPM on the turbo this morning: quite an interesting experience. Seemed to feel pretty good though. BennyC, that ride from the weekend, are you doing all your climbing seated?

Soldato
Riding to work this morning and there's a van behind me. I follow the road round a sharp turn to the right and the van follows me and then I hear a whole load of banging and clattering. I look behind me and I can see all these lengths of pvc pipe, like 2 metres long, maybe more, falling off his roof, which must have decided to make a bid for freedom on the sharp turn. Top marks for a well secured load. Fortunately there were no other dads or pedestrians next to him at that point.

These are the idiots we're sharing the road with...

What an absolute idiot :mad: Shame there weren't any police nearby :(

Soldato
Surprising how many insecure loads there are out there. Even kids in backseats, no seatbelts standing up holding over the front seats.

Saw a tipper van the other week with timber stacked from trailer to roof and one piece of timber was trying to make a leap for freedom sticking 3m off the back of the van. Didn't manage to catch him up and let him know though... doubt the timber made it to destination.

Was up early this morning so did about 40 laps of the same 0.94 mile circuit to total at 47.5 miles before work. Not sure how I didn't go insane but the weather was really nice besides a chilly start!

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like I'm off to some terrifying singletrack in Wales soon.. friends are worried about the distance and I'm worried about technicality of the terrain... my MTB skill is lacking :D
Oooh let me know where, I've got a friend who wants to hit some trails and another who regularly rides DH (doing a local road sportive with him on sunday). Really want to get them riding and don't think I can convert them to road, so that's me starting doing some trails with them... :eek:
Tough on the hips, though. Mine anyway.
Especially yours, old man! :p

Mine feel like I've aged 20 years after a day of carrying furniture on monday. Certainly not young anymore! To be honest the 5 hours sleep monday night (after 14 hours of 'manual labour' moving house), then the 6 hours of sleep last night have totally ruined me. My sore muscles from sleeping funny on holiday (saturday night) feel no better and the additional aches from moving I have barely felt any recovery from. Shoulders are actually painful to the touch! :eek::confused:

Cycling 'home' from work today and going to bed no later than 9pm! :rolleyes:
I think I'll be ok to cycle to the docs to get my stitches out on Thursday. 1.5 miles each way on the flat seems do-able if I swap the pedals back to flats.
Take it easy mate, no point rushing it! I'm sure if you pop some stitches on the way to the docs, you'll get told off and banned from cycling! Glad you're feeling mobile enough to even give it a try though! :D
Ok guys as promised here is a more detailed report on http://www.maratona.it/it/. Thanks to those of you that offered Kudos for the ride.
As a reminder here it is with corrected elevation data https://www.strava.com/activities/628759803. So 87 miles and near 18,000ft of elevation.
Absolutely incredible ride mate, very impressive stats considering the elevation & heat! Totally jealous, did you get many more pictures?! Scenery and area look fantastic! Even better than footage of the Giro! :cool::eek::D
So I tried sitting at 100 RPM on the turbo this morning: quite an interesting experience. Seemed to feel pretty good though. BennyC, that ride from the weekend, are you doing all your climbing seated?
Will take some getting used to, 100 RPM for me is even a little high. I can spin at it but spinning at 95 is much more bearable and sustainable. My natural cadence is at around 88 (when tired) and 92 (when fresh) so I'm usually spinning at around 90ish anyway. When I'm conscious of being tired but wanting to maintain speed I'll actually drop a gear and concentrate on keeping a higher cadence. My muscles fatigue less and I recover better! Less chance of cramping and aches afterwards too! :)

Soldato
Oooh let me know where, I've got a friend who wants to hit some trails and another who regularly rides DH (doing a local road sportive with him on sunday). Really want to get them riding and don't think I can convert them to road, so that's me starting doing some trails with them... :eek:

Afan Forest. Looks pretty nice but at the same time quite tricky - just hoping I don't break anything! They're far better than me :D

Back
Top Bottom