Road Cycling

Soldato
Soldato
Ha sorry, yeah that would help!

It will be used for training rides, sportives and little trips away like the one in a couple of weeks to the Peaks. I originally bought the Triban 540 as a entry bike not thinking I'd get in to it as much as I have, but I've fallen in love with the sport and have some pretty big plans in terms of a few cycling holidays in Europe next year, and I might even join a few of the guys from work who go and do a couple of the Tour stages (albeit shortened down :p) next year.

So I want a bike that I'm not going to outgrow in terms of ability, if that makes sense.

I mean, for what you describe I'd still probably favour more of an endurance geometry. If you're not specifically looking to race on it, will the advantages you get from being more aero outweigh the comfort you'd feel on a well fitting, more relaxed bike on longer rides? Probably not. You might even consider disc brakes, as they could well be allowed in BC races by the time you start to consider that.

Caporegime
Swisstop vs koolstop

my vague memories are of swissstops (green/blue) lasting longer than kool stop (pink), but since i'm obviously not doing parallel comparison it's a little fuzzy

any thoughts from folk who've used both?
I've used kool stop black and swissstop blue. I don't recall there being that much to pick between them, though the swissstop were way more spendy. Kool stop pink do have a reputation for wearing very quickly, to the point that I've never tried them.

Soldato
I've used kool stop black and swissstop blue. I don't recall there being that much to pick between them, though the swissstop were way more spendy. Kool stop pink do have a reputation for wearing very quickly, to the point that I've never tried them.

Koolstop pink and swisstop green both significantly better in the wet. Pinks wear fast, I'm sure greens are slower

Permabanned
So my rear wheel has a thumb sized dent in the rim on one side. Doesn't seem to be causing any major issues but when braking I can feel the pad coming off the rim occasionally. Worth replacing the wheel or just keep going and it'll be fine?

Permabanned
Pretty sure I already know the answer is no, but is there a way to set a monthly goal on Strava?

When I login using a web browser it says on the right hand side of the dashboard "Go Premium to create a milestone for 2017 and keep on target throughout the year".

I'd have thought it would also allow a weekly and monthly goal to help you see progress along the way.

If it's just one month you want to set the goal for then you could always trial premium free for one month and then cancel. Be sure to cancel it though!!

Soldato
Thanks, I already have premium Strava & you can only set weekly or yearly goals unless I'm missing something obvious. Just wondered if someone had found a way round it.

Odd as garmin connect you can set specific dates.

Permabanned
It is odd not being able to set a monthly one. Surely it's easy enough to program in and having done a quick Google it seems a fair few users would like the feature.

I guess it's not quite the same but Strava does show an average of your last 4 weeks activity. Not what you want obviously but at least it's better than nothing. I also like using the Training Calender for a very quick overview.

Soldato
Broke another spoke(nipple) on my rear wheel last night. That's 3 in the last 4-5 months. Seriously looking forward to rebuilding this rear now!

@Saytan @Jonny ///M anyone else here who'd rebuilt a wheel? Would you reuse nipples & spokes? I've not had a spoke snap, but 3 nipples have broken so I'm going to reuse spokes and just replace all nipples with a new hub (have damaged endcaps & ideal opportunity to move away from SCS).

So my rear wheel has a thumb sized dent in the rim on one side. Doesn't seem to be causing any major issues but when braking I can feel the pad coming off the rim occasionally. Worth replacing the wheel or just keep going and it'll be fine?
Quite a big ding if it's thumb sized, dual walled rim? You might be able to bend it outwards if the walls are thick enough. If they're thin then best left alone - the metal is already fatigued by the ding and bending it back may crack it.

Pretty sure I already know the answer is no, but is there a way to set a monthly goal on Strava?
I can on Garmin connect, but I prefer using Strava.
Nope, weekly & yearly only. Mildly annoying!

edit: When are you changing your sig? :p
Lol, I thought the same when reading about the serious riding Steedie's now clocking up! Good man, just don't start getting into that running lark as you'll only end up injured, hey FT? :)
What's with all these body builders turning into cyclists?:o
They're all after your KOM's. Do you even cadence bro?

now just lifting things and putting them down.
Alcoholic.

Soldato
@Saytan @Jonny ///M anyone else here who'd rebuilt a wheel? Would you reuse nipples & spokes? I've not had a spoke snap, but 3 nipples have broken so I'm going to reuse spokes and just replace all nipples with a new hub (have damaged endcaps & ideal opportunity to move away from SCS).

If you're changing hubs, you will probably need different spoke lengths anyway

Nipples are cheap enough to not worry about reusing them. If you buy spokes from the cycle clinic, who're about the cheapest anyway, nipples are included. if by chance you get away with reusing the spokes you have, I like Sapim polyax nipples best.

you haven't broken a spoke yet, but I follow the rule of one spoke breakage, replace the spoke, two spoke breakages, replace them all.

I'd happily reuse spokes from a known wheel with good history and no breakages (Just as Roger Musson says), but others disagree on this point.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're changing hubs, you will probably need different spoke lengths anyway
I'm semi hoping as my existing hub being DT internals yet an 'unbranded' shell (sold as 'Axis' by Specialized) will mean replacing it with a DT 350 will have the same/similar dimensions.

I'd happily reuse spokes from a known wheel with good history and no breakages (Just as Roger Musson says), but others disagree on this point.
The only reason I'm looking to reuse spokes is I know the mileage they've done is low and to keep my costs down. I want to change to a hub which is going to be pretty bombproof moving forwards as part of a 'do it all'/everyday wheelset which will probably eventually end up being for winter/off-road. The DT 350 is a fantastic hub for the money (<£150) but as soon as things like £40 for more spokes/nipples start adding up then I'm pretty silly to rebuild it rather than just replace the whole thing (£230 rear). I want to keep my costs as low as possible until after September (Junior arrival) as I've been quite good about curbing my spending the last 6-7 months. After baby arrival (at some point) I'm intending on buying a set of Zipp 30 Course as my 'summer' wheelset (£320 rear). I'll find it pretty hard to justify £600 on a summer wheelset soon after spending £400 on a winter replacement set... A £150 hub before then I can live with! ;)

TLDR; Roady saving money shocker

Back
Top Bottom