Road Cycling

Soldato
I'm not a huge fan of the size of the activity cards. It makes it quite difficult to quickly scan a bunch of rides and without commute filtering the interesting stuff will get missed even more. I can see where they're going though - making it more Facebook like for a more social experience. This layout certainly supports the 'posts' better.
Agreed, the cards really support the activity, it's much less of a 'list' now than before. Equally I quite liked the older layout as it was easier to scroll through, those with pictures and comments where larger than those without. Now they seem to be sorted similarly to Facebook - it can seem a jumble at times and you miss things that your closest friends have shared just because nobody 'liked it'.

At the moment my feed has several of a friends commutes towards the top in no particular order (I see yesterday afternoon, then this mornings), none of them have kudos/comments/pictures. Mixed in with them are my two commutes (understandable) and my Zwift ride from last night, scrolling past around 5 other commutes & 3-4 pro riders I then see some local group rides from last night & the weekend with comments and pictures. The random commutes shouldn't be that prominent, as they're not mine, have little/no kudos, no pictures & no comments! FFS! :mad:

Hummmmm. Not too convinced at the moment. I agree, it is harder to scan across a bunch of recent activities. But then, are you actually scanning across the activities you want? After a ride at the weekend for example, ill scan backwards to see what others have been up to that weekend, in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Not possible anymore. The activities initially showing in my feed are from 2/3 days ago. Maybe add an "order by" option.

I guess they're trying to show you more interesting rides, I get that, probably, overall a good move. But It doesn't guarantee you see everything you want unless you spend ages scrolling through.

I agree that commutes should be filtered out by default; and probably an optional filter for stationary rides.

I'll get used to it. :)
Same, I'll scroll back to see what all the local guys and groups/clubs did over the weekend, the way it is now I'll only really see the group rides. The commutes and virtual rides having filters would be ideal, the filters are already there to some degree (Commute & Stationary trainer 'tags' on rides, Training log having 'include commutes' tickbox) so it shouldn't be hard to add them to the activity feed. Then again this is Strava we're talking about, it took them 14 months to add ANT+ support.

I mean, that would work, but before they upgraded to their shiny new look Facebook sharing wasn't on by default.
Mine isn't on/hasn't required unchecking. I don't use my Facebook login to login to Strava, if you're doing that it may explain things? Anyone else doing that and noticed similar?

Interesting you say that. I've always thought my 28mm Pro4 Endurance had quite a wooden ride but I put that down to being the trade off for extra puncture protection. That was coming from 25mm Lithion II's so not exactly a premium tyre :o I too will be going Schwalbe One next on my dry weather bike, probably give 28's another punt though.
I didn't say they where a great ride! But they're the only 'slicks' I've tried that large so far so I'm considering them a 'standard'. My Specialized Roubaix Pro are heavier and a firmer ride, but also roll better at a lower pressure than the Pro4 so more comfortable. 55/60PSI worked well for me in the winter last year, the Pro4 at the same pressures seem to easily lose more air and the tyre collapses at the sidewalls, mine have needed 60/70PSI to retain their air & shape over a week/10 days of commuting making them less comfortable and they feel no 'faster'.

Last edited:
Soldato
I want a new bike... would a disk endurace fit a "winter bike" criteria?
Of course! Discs ftw! Although what tire clearance does it have? I can't recall how much ice you saw last winter but I think your winters might be slightly longer than in the UK? Bigger grippy tires! :D

Would you then sell your rim Endurace & Ultimate? ;)

I've been given ground clearance to get some new shoes, so I'm between the Fizik R1B climb edition and Northwave extreme camo - pics here (https://twitter.com/randomshenans/status/920586117459726337)

What say the people of OC?
Heard Northwaves not that great quality, tending to wear/break easily. Fizik obviously good quality but why the climb edition? You don't climb... :p

NW Camo for SPD/off-road use on the other hand... ;)

Caporegime
I have a pair of Northwave Sonic SRS road shoes and they've worn quite badly around the heel.

The Shimano RT82 shoes I commute in are lasting much better, but they're SPD. If there were something comparable for the road (there probably is, but I've not looked) I'd be all over them.

Soldato
Dammit, just ordered the Northwave... I get impatient ffs :p

Heard Northwaves not that great quality, tending to wear/break easily. Fizik obviously good quality but why the climb edition? You don't climb... :p

I like pink... what can I say?! I might get both pairs, I'll try these and see how they fit.

Would you then sell your rim Endurace & Ultimate?

Sold my Endurace ages ago. I got a bollocking for having too many bikes. I stripped it right back to only 3 now. My Grand Canyon, Ultimate and Aeroad, so think I might make another fit. An eTap 1/11 endurace disk build might be nice :D

mudguard mounts.

What now? I haven't heard of these before.

Soldato
I want a new bike... would a disk endurace fit a "winter bike" criteria?

A Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc could fit the bill for ~£1150 with Rutland's current discount code, but Cube might not be re-releasing their propriety guards until after Xmas.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike...tc-pro-disc-2017-carbon-road-bike-grey_373882

Really high front end, my 2016 58cm version has 610mm stack and 389mm reach IIRC, the bar tops are higher than on my fatbike! I have a long torso and stubby legs for someone ~178cm tall, fits me fine with negative default stem angle.

Soldato
A Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc could fit the bill for ~£1150 with Rutland's current discount code, but Cube might not be re-releasing their propriety guards until after Xmas.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike...tc-pro-disc-2017-carbon-road-bike-grey_373882

Really high front end, my 2016 58cm version has 610mm stack and 389mm reach IIRC, the bar tops are higher than on my fatbike! I have a long torso and stubby legs for someone ~178cm tall, fits me fine with negative default stem angle.
That actually looks really nice. Shame it's 105 (105 is more than acceptable, but it's no eTap :p )

Anyway, how could I buy a bike that wasn't canyon!?

Soldato
I'm starting to think I could do with having power out on the bike, I never knew I needed it till I rode on the smart trainer - it's a revelation having a power readout.

Alas though, I don't have a big budget.

Are 2nd hand power pedals a recipe for disaster? Do any of the manufacturers do refurb stuff?

Soldato
Not many refirbs but plenty of deals on ebay... Most PWM companies will offer service & recalibration of PWM's so you could always get that done for piece of mind.

If budget is your concern then look at 1 sided pedals and things like Stages & 4iiii. The other budget alternative would be a powertap hub built into some wheels, but only really suitable with 1 bike and expensive wheels...

Soldato
I'm tempted by a Power2Max NG Eco. More for the curiosity factor of seeing the data than anything else as I don't really train for anything. Still haven't seen any UK pricing though!

Back
Top Bottom