Road Cycling

Soldato
Nice. Love the sound of the F Type! Which engine is it?

JLR brought some to my work for test drives last year (small discount available). Mid way through arranging test drive and a colleague leans over and tells the girl booking my test drive that I have to be over 28 to drive over 2.0L Petrol :(

Odd the dealer down here gave me one for 4 days when they first came out!

Soldato
Decided to buy my bike some new transport equipment, excuse the dirt.

View attachment sbwlLXA.jpg
Scweeeeeeeet! Someones doing well! New Propel, new wheels. Good on ya! :)

Not driven the F-Type yet, what where you driving before?

Will have to give my mate and his R8 and an old Felt some stick. He did get his car on the Seasucker website I think, you could probably do the same! Didn't you too @SoliD? I remember a 911 with the IA4 on the roof? :D

<snip>Mid way through arranging test drive and a colleague leans over and tells the girl booking my test drive that I have to be over 28 to drive over 2.0L Petrol :(
So mean! Hope that got them removed from your christmas card list (at least!)... Ha!

It's the R, so 5l supercharged :)
Nice, thats the 500bhp one? Did you test drive the V8 too? Would be interested what made you choose the super over it (other than cost!).

Soldato
Yeah the V8, 550bhp I believe. I sold my E46 M3 last year, probably one of the worst decisions I've made, I miss that car so much. I just got engaged last year too, so this seemed like the last chance to get in something un-practical before an SUV looms with having kids etc. Either that or I manage to convince the better half to keep a sports car and get hatchback for town and practical use....

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't feel too bad. The E46 M3 was one of my childhood 'will own one day' cars, but now I think they seem quite chavvy, probably because most have been ragged to death and poorly maintained.

Having driven an F-Type all through California (only the V6) as a hire car, I can safely say you've made the better decision!

Soldato
Yeah they're completely different cars. As a pure drivers car the M3 was unparalleled imo, but you're right they do look fairly dated now and the new ones don't really do it for me like the E46 did. The F type seems to be a fantastic cruiser when you just want to mooch along, but then can turn into an absolute animal with a few buttons.

Soldato
Yeah the V8, 550bhp I believe. I sold my E46 M3 last year, probably one of the worst decisions I've made, I miss that car so much. I just got engaged last year too, so this seemed like the last chance to get in something un-practical before an SUV looms with having kids etc. Either that or I manage to convince the better half to keep a sports car and get hatchback for town and practical use....
Good call and wise choice.

I've always regretted chopping in my hatchback (A3) for a smaller car (Fiesta), but it wasn't a decision I had much choice over at the time (had to trade it in as turbo was going, Fiesta was the only trade option the guy had!). Every time I drive it with any kind of purpose I get the 'small car' feeling. It's not as bad as some others (it is a 1.6 zetec-s), but still. Annoys me even more the last 3 years since we went down to 1 car, as it's the 'only' choice! Her indoors/voice of reason, keeps saying no. But I'm 40 soon, surely I'm due a mid life crisis GT-R/Gallardo?! :cool: ;)

I'm more likely to get the Volvo XC60 past her, aren't I?!? :)

I wouldn't feel too bad. The E46 M3 was one of my childhood 'will own one day' cars, but now I think they seem quite chavvy, probably because most have been ragged to death and poorly maintained.
Totally agree and one of the main points why I've never owned a beemer - the image & nearly every one I've encountered on twisty roads cannot drive. Although I came close to getting an E82 once...

Maybe that's a german car thing - amazing torque but rubbish around corners?! My A3 was similar, but the heavy 2.0L Diesel lump at the front kept it honest and was partly what I blamed it on (Quattro was fun but could never get it to step in when oversteering). My friend likes his german cars (previous golf gti nut) but hated his S3 as it got through tyres like hot meals. He's got an X5 M-sport now and says it's a faster drive around here & far more economical (on tyres!) :o

But the Venge is faster right?
It's now becoming more obvious why he went the aero bike route! ;)

Soldato
Lovely car that! I've always wanted an E46 M3 or even a 330ci Clubsport but they are almost all a mess these days.

Got my start time through for the two up on Sunday, 9:06am. So early :(

Soldato
Awesome car. :)

Entered Birmingham Velo for May. So that's a sportive in Feb, one in March and one in May all sorted, plus track (fixed wheel) racing starting end of April.

2019 sorted. Just gotta get some fitness :p

Soldato
It’ll annoy you soon enough Thomas! Having a 5k bike on the roof with no security is one of the main reasons I got rid of the 911 and with cx became completely useless as I couldn’t take 2 bikes! As boring as it is the mondeo is perfect for my cycling needs and is still a bloody comfy car for normal miles, adaptive cruise is a god send on a winters Sunday evening coming back tired from cx!

Soldato
Hoping it shouldn't be much of an issue. Only places I really drive my bike is to races, where I'm parked up and taking the bike off the other end. We'll see though. Can always borrow a family car if it's really annoying.

Or you could also get a Merc G63 6x6. Obviously. :D

Around 0 degrees here this morning with a ground frost. Spotted 4 riders on my way to work, all of them with bare legs. #hardmen

...Meanwhile I was wearing 2 thermal layers!

Soldato
Even I'm still in normal winter gear at the moment, but the forecast is looking good later in the week, might even get to have a blast on the TT bike! Not sure if it's too early to get the summer bike out yet, if it gets warmer, but more importantly, stays dry.

Soldato
Even I'm still in normal winter gear at the moment, but the forecast is looking good later in the week, might even get to have a blast on the TT bike! Not sure if it's too early to get the summer bike out yet, if it gets warmer, but more importantly, stays dry.

My summer bike is staying indoors until the council stops pouring grit and salt on the roads!

Back
Top Bottom