Road Cycling

Soldato
Although surprisingly my VIRB is still going very strong. It's been a right little trooper! 5th winter completed...

The port cover on mine has become cut so I haven't used it in quite some time. Also, for some reason the gopro adapter doesn't fit into the k-edge gopro mount. Seems like it is slightly too wide.

Soldato
The port cover on mine has become cut so I haven't used it in quite some time. Also, for some reason the gopro adapter doesn't fit into the k-edge gopro mount. Seems like it is slightly too wide.
Riding K-Edge here too and don't recall any problems. Will it just not jam in? You do want it nice and tight... Mine has been pretty much fit & forget (from about 3 years ago)!

Will snap a pic of mine for you.

Soldato
Riding K-Edge here too and don't recall any problems. Will it just not jam in? You do want it nice and tight... Mine has been pretty much fit & forget (from about 3 years ago)!

Will snap a pic of mine for you.

Yeah it will not fit at all. I tried two garmin gopro adapters as well (had a second from an adapter kit). I considered filing the plastic but seemed like faff. It is odd as lots of people report them fitting and I can fit the Yi 4k (gopro style mount) in there fine. I do find I have to tighten the arm bolts on the k-edge occasionally as it comes loose.

Soldato
Can you tether over mobile 4G instead? I can't imagine it uses loads of data?!

My mobile is also Vodafone and although they ARE actually very good in terms of coverage of 4G in the Highlands compared others, I get barely any signal in my village.
My work phone is o2 which I believe shares masts with Vodafone so is in same boat.
Not sure either will allow me to tether my data in all honesty either. And may be suprising how much data Zwift actually uses!

Soldato
You don't have much luck with power meters doyou.

Nope seems like a dead pod so not the end of the world!!

Went to adjust my front derailleur on the pinnacle tonight and have completely mullered it! Gave up in the end, roll on the summer going to be riding the Ridley as it just works! Think the winters have started to take their toll on the pinnacles parts ! Might get a new one on bike 2 work in april

Soldato
Can you tether over mobile 4G instead? I can't imagine it uses loads of data?!
Zwift doesn't, but it does require a stable connection. You tend to see more problems when signal strength is dropping the speed (interference/extreme range of wifi etc). Know several who use it over 3G/4G in their garages as their home wifi doesn't reach.

Yeah it will not fit at all. I tried two garmin gopro adapters as well (had a second from an adapter kit). I considered filing the plastic but seemed like faff. It is odd as lots of people report them fitting and I can fit the Yi 4k (gopro style mount) in there fine. I do find I have to tighten the arm bolts on the k-edge occasionally as it comes loose.
Pic of mine:
qqlmboR.jpg

Went to adjust my front derailleur on the pinnacle tonight and have completely mullered it!
One of those days! Whats mullered? I've got a spare 5800 braze on that I threaded the cable screw on, you're welcome to it if you need any parts (just not the arm as that's obviously trashed).

EDIT: Got an amazing tow from a bus this morning from temporary lights. He nearly dropped me at the start & a slight 1% drag but I dug deep to sit in his slipstream. Good fun but my legs are feeling it now! Not bad from stationary. :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/2159530987

TLDR; PR bus slipstream @30mph is still slower than the guys doing 10TT & chaingang on the same route! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
One of those days! Whats mullered? I've got a spare 5800 braze on that I threaded the cable screw on, you're welcome to it if you need any parts (just not the arm as that's obviously trashed).
! :o

No Idea, need to properly look at it really, should have just left it alone. Thanks for the offer!

Soldato
I’m looking at the Rapha RCC Classic Bundle, not ever having anything Rapha I’m unsure of sizing. I’m basically a medium in everything but have to go up to a large in Castelli, is Rapha like Castelli or should I go medium?

Soldato
Had a weird one this morning. My Quarq DZero just gave up half way on the ride to work. It also seemed to be over reading quite a bit, as I don't think I was doing 260-300W or so on a gentle cruise in. The odd thing is it didn't die, it just got stuck on one value for the rest of the ride.

Anyone have similar issues with any PWM (especially a Quarq?)

Also, I seem to need to restart my Forerunner before I connect to the Quarq each ride. If I don't, it connect to it, but it just reads 0. Only after restarting my watch does it read the power correctly.

5f14fb76e0d3b71a3ffea8b319b1d421-full.jpg

Soldato
I’m looking at the Rapha RCC Classic Bundle, not ever having anything Rapha I’m unsure of sizing. I’m basically a medium in everything but have to go up to a large in Castelli, is Rapha like Castelli or should I go medium?
Depends what you mean by 'everything' as one of the problems with cycling brands is all their sizes being different! ;)

General Rapha jerseys are pretty much same sizing as Castelli, maybe marginally larger. Shorts are a little more relaxed (more like Sportful) so Berger is right about going medium (unless if a Castelli Large is still tight and you can't squeeze in a medium). You'll find them tighter than DHB/whatever medium. The Classic type cut/fit will also be slightly more relaxed than something more race orientated (like the Pro Team). The two types of Rapha shorts I own are slightly different - Core I can fit in a Medium or Large, prefer the medium but started in larges and they still fit well due to the fabric, cut and pad. The other Rapha shorts I have are Brevet and the Medium is a perfect fit, I could squeeze in a small as the Large is far too big. Much more of a relaxed fit short than the Core.

In Castelli I'm a Large (Evoluzione & Volo & Team), in Sportful I generally wear Large (Gruppetto, Total Comfort, R&D) but could go down to medium in some of the more relaxed fit (Giro & Giara). The winter shorts I wear (Fiandre) are a mixture of L & XL (commuting), the XL are not too big so probably wouldn't fit in a Medium.

In DHB I wore a medium but currently don't own any DHB kit to directly compare.

In real world clothing I'm increasingly finding myself in small tops (tshirts/jumper) and 16.5cm 'slim fit' in work shirts. I need to size my trousers (jeans) as 34" to get my thighs in, can easily fit a 32" waist (probably smaller). Can't wear slim/skinny jeans! :o

Have you actually joined the RCC?
Fairly sure you can buy it without being in the RCC. Normal pricing I know you get a discount, but during sales it's far cheaper than the 'club discount'. Isn't the club still obscenely expensive? They still opening Club houses? There was talk of them opening one in Hereford a couple of years back but the guys who where RCC mad seem to have calmed down. The main one I can think of now riding in Le Col much of the time.

Had a weird one this morning. My Quarq DZero just gave up half way on the ride to work. It also seemed to be over reading quite a bit, as I don't think I was doing 260-300W or so on a gentle cruise in. The odd thing is it didn't die, it just got stuck on one value for the rest of the ride.

Anyone have similar issues with any PWM (especially a Quarq?)

Also, I seem to need to restart my Forerunner before I connect to the Quarq each ride. If I don't, it connect to it, but it just reads 0. Only after restarting my watch does it read the power correctly.
5f14fb76e0d3b71a3ffea8b319b1d421-full.jpg
My Powertap does just die mid ride when the battery is flat (non-rechargeable). But not had it stick on 1 value. Weirdly mine was over-reading before the battery died and also after I'd changed it. Did a zero yesterday and then this morning it was reading low. It's been a long time since it read low. Was a headwind and my legs feel heavy, but not that heavy! Obviously needs another zero (even though it's meant to self-zero I've never found that fixes it when it's reading off, although explains why I hardly ever usually need to zero it). Maybe my C1 has started to die... I've always moaned/complained about it, but in reality it's been quite well behaved considering the weathers it's ridden in. But until I can get the price down on the Specialized Power Cranks I want I'm 'stuck' with it! ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've read it's advisable to connect the PWM by Ant+ and not BLE, as that should be a lot more stable.

I'll try that on the way home (if it isn't connected via ANT+ already, not sure how to check) and see if that solves the initial connection issue and the dropout.

Soldato
Fairly sure you can buy it without being in the RCC. Normal pricing I know you get a discount, but during sales it's far cheaper than the 'club discount'. Isn't the club still obscenely expensive? They still opening Club houses? There was talk of them opening one in Hereford a couple of years back but the guys who where RCC mad seem to have calmed down. The main one I can think of now riding in Le Col much of the time.
! ;)

Nope, RCC kit is only available for RCC members.

Soldato
RCC sometimes ride morning laps round Richmond Park. I think they should split up their groups... sometimes literally 15+ pairs doing 13mph in a line so quite difficult to find a gap long enough to overtake.

Soldato
Nope, RCC kit is only available for RCC members.
Certainly seems to be from their website. Am sure I'd seen it sold to all and sundry but might just have been in a sale or ebay. They're sticking stuff on their ebay page again now after at least a years absence.

RCC sometimes ride morning laps round Richmond Park. I think they should split up their groups... sometimes literally 15+ pairs doing 13mph in a line so quite difficult to find a gap long enough to overtake.
Slow/snow-flakes. ;)

Soldato
That's pretty cool but it's a shame you have to be a Summit member.

I'd find it pretty useful if I also had a bolt to sync the route straight away.

Back
Top Bottom