Road Cycling

Soldato
On the way to a full tourer conversion (lolz) and looking at pannier racks and sets.

I currently have a mudguard mounted which impinges on the space for the second set of mounting points, so:

- Anybody used axle mounting brackets for pannier racks before (looking at the Tubus set)
- Which rack and pannier set is the least wobbly, most waterproof, etc?

Thanks for all your help!

I've got a Axiom Journey Uni-fit rack and that has a range of options for upper mounting and inter-changeable arms for the lower points - any use?

https://www.axiomgear.com/products/racks/journey-uni-fit-racks/journey-unifit-mk3-alu/

Man of Honour
Soldato
That looks great - I have ordered one (it is cheaper than the fitting kit from Tubus without the rack)!

Do you use panniers with it, please? If so, which ones?

Yes, I've got Axiom Monsoon Hydracore 32+. Mine came from Rutland Cycling via the Amazon marketplace for £49. Rutland show no stock at that price but there's a pair on eBay for £50 + P&P at the moment.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/acce...xiom-monsoon-hydracore-32-pannier-pair_463151

Not used them fully loaded yet but have taken them out for a test ride and they were fine. Proper use will be commuting into work come spring...

Soldato
Does anyone know what Chinese frameset the Holdsworth Mystique uses? I'm thinking of moving the components on my Boardman ADV on to a new frame it ticks the boxes:

-Carbon
-Discs
-Mudguard/pannier mounts

Alternatively, if anyone can point me in the direction of a Dengfu or similar with those specs I'm all ears please. :)

Also interested in this. Got my Pinnacle I don't really ride any more as riding my Cannondale but doesn't have mudguard mounts.

Soldato
It’s a little disappointing that it’s only a two stage rage for the ladies and the stages are short (I know this one was shortened due to weather). A 90 minute stage (uphill time trial) is a bit well meh.

I realise it’s early season, but the ladies season isn’t quite as full on as the men’s, so I’d expect adequate recovery time.

They need to pick their game up and offer the ladies more racing, try and retain more of the teams from the TDU etc.

Anyone heard of someone using a Sigeyi power meter? They seem to review favourable on WW but a little bit of a shot in the dark.

P2M have cheap rotor ones at the moment with rings too.

Last edited:
Soldato
They need to pick their game up and offer the ladies more racing, try and retain more of the teams from the TDU etc.

Anyone heard of someone using a Sigeyi power meter? They seem to review favourable on WW but a little bit of a shot in the dark.

P2M have cheap rotor ones at the moment with rings too.
Totally agree, but it is a prime example how things have come on in leaps and bounds the last few years which is fantastic (getting media coverage and people actually watching it). But it'll never be as polished a Pro sport as mens Pro cycling. Then again womens cycling seems to me very similar to regional/continental teams in a way - lots of changes all the time, lots of sponsors swapping and changing around causing teams to change/split/fold every season. Very fickle & hard for casual viewers to follow things and just makes it seem a bit amateur-ish at times.

Hadn't heard of them until you posted, nothing on DCR's site about them but found GPLama reponding to a post about them on TR - https://forum.trainerroad.com/t/sigeyi-power-meter/26370/16

Sounds like he may have a unit on the way to test. There's several in that post who seem to have them (and that WW post). So they're not as 'bad' as a Quickstarter or such. In fact the hardware sounds pretty good/polished, just the software/firmware updates let it down. But really not many comparisons or data in any posts I've spotted so far...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes, I've got Axiom Monsoon Hydracore 32+. Mine came from Rutland Cycling via the Amazon marketplace for £49. Rutland show no stock at that price but there's a pair on eBay for £50 + P&P at the moment.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/acce...xiom-monsoon-hydracore-32-pannier-pair_463151

Not used them fully loaded yet but have taken them out for a test ride and they were fine. Proper use will be commuting into work come spring...

Gah. Missed the Axioms...

However, the rack arrived today and it is probably one of the nicest looking racks I have seen (based on my trips to Decathlon and Evans)...

And it cost £20. :cool:

Soldato
Another random Q - sorry - but does anyone know how cheap the 4iii 105 power meters have been? Tempted to pick one up but I’ve lost track of prices.
Anywhere below £250 is a deal for it. Really like mine (but only have chainring/crank based to compare it to!). Solid reliable unit.

Still haven't bothered doing an FTP test!
Don't worry your numbers will be far larger than your writing! :D

Gah. Missed the Axioms...
They and that rack do look really smart... Half considering going the pannier route myself in future. But can't with the current frame, if I do end up switching to an alloy/steel/ti commuter style frame then it'll certainly have rack mounts. I really do fancy doing some multi-day rides/audax's in future.

Soldato
Yeah I looked earlier in this thread and could have had the 104 for £185.

Regretting not doing it now as it was a bargain.

Got my Felt built up.

Freehub body already, chain, cassette and bb.

I should go better now :D. Also been riding the winter bike saddle too low for a while which has been burning my quads a bit, Felt is where I've been at racing so should be fine now.

Will be a back up bike for when I get the top dog bike. Could be one of four different models at the moment.

Soldato
Anyone get out today? :o

I went out yday and it was a lovely day, nice to be not raining. I was fine for 3 hours then the last 45 mins was pretty :(

Need a bit more food for a solo ride compared to a bunch obviously.... I hadn’t really planned any set distance so just took a couple of small bottles and a banana, then when the going was good I kept going a bit more.

Still, one of the most enjoyable rides of the year, I didn’t have a jacket on spring is just round the corner!

Back
Top Bottom