Road Cycling

Soldato
Yeah, I just don't fancy going on to facebook aha. I may ask my partner if she can look on there for me.

At the moment I'm a big fish in a small pond as I'm comfortably the strongest cyclist out of the friends I go with but I know I'm nothing but bellow average so I'm not sure how much shame I want to endure holding groups up! But I know it would force me to go on longer rides - whilst I still have the chance

Soldato
bigger the club the more likely you are to find groups to fit into. I just got taken along by a mate to my closest club and have been with them for 8 years now.

Soldato
I searched Strava groups for 'Barnet' and found a group I now ride with on Sundays. It was one of the better moves I made as they took me on longer rides than I'd ever done before and opened my eyes to really exploring the local area.

Soldato
Exciting stuff tomorrow. My wife started a new job back in February and the head office is based in Surrey. We're heading down tonight so she can meet colleagues tomorrow. I said i'd come and make a weekend of it. Intending to have a crack at Box Hill.

Having not ridden over 15 miles for around 3 months and my planned route being over 30 this should be interesting. Fortunately the forecast seems decent enough and i'll have all day so can just take it easy.

Soldato
As an aside. If anyone knows the area, this is my route, is there anything i should change to avoid missing anything out?

https://www.strava.com/routes/2896365288243716258

I am half debating a detour to Denbies Wine Estate which seems to be fairly local.

EDIT - Yep, changed it to add the wine place. Hopefully cycling with some wine won't be too uncomfortable!

EDIT2 - Should probably attempt Box Hill before i've drank wine....

EDIT3 - Updated the route. Now up to 38 miles. I assume there shouldn't be any major issues doing such a long ride providing i don't overdo it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Plenty better climbs that way. Only any good because you can say you rode on an Olympic course, it's not tough or steep and is usually busy, but if you're that way it's nice to tick off.

Soldato
@Lethal` is your man for that area I believe.
Not rode there so much in recent years but certainly know the area well! :)

@Martynt74 Might be a bit late seeing this but quick glance at your route and some thoughts:
  • Are you road cycling or off-roading? On the return I'm fairly sure you've turned off on Copsem Lane before the A3 onto some vague gravel. Most of the stuff round that area is doable on a road bike but really not ideal especially if it's been wet. If you intended to be just on road, I'd carry on under the A3 and take the Sandy Lane to Fairmile/Cobham area and head in via Fetcham. I really don't know the suburban area you've headed into via the off-road stuff around Ashtead.
  • Even on the route out you're heading through Epsom Common - more off-road. Your route to the back of Box Hill at Headley is rather uninspiring. It's typically used as a quick return to London, it's not particularly fun to ascend. Though the section from Headley to Mickleham is fine. That's a nice road.
  • Regardless, heading to the Thames only to go through the Urban sprawls of Surbiton, Hook and Chessington are less than ideal. I'd start and end in Esher without a Thames detour (unless you go properly to Hampton Court and visit Bushy Park).
  • Your descent after Box Hill Village down Pebblehill Rd is not particularly nice. It's busy and a very rough surface, then you just end up on a main road back into Dorking.
  • Did you know you can actually climb up through Denbies Vineyard (all paved too!)? I'd really recommend it, it's a bridleway so it will have the occasional walker and likelihood is they will have the gates closed so you will have to dismount twice but the views are good.
I think it's tough to suggest reasonable adjustments to the route so I've redesigned it for you. Of course take my advice with pinch of salt - the existing route may be exactly what you fancy but hopefully the above provides some quick insight.

It's only 32 miles but much much better.
https://www.strava.com/routes/2896541891303537376

This will take you out to Surrey via Sandy Lane into the Fairmile area of Cobham (think celebrity houses... some huge places!) and then past Chelsea football training ground on the way to Fetcham. Then you'll dip skirt along to Great Bookham before heading into the proper hills. First up - descent of Chapel Lane, it's steep - be glad you're going down it but do cover the brakes. You'll be deposited out around Westhumble just before the dual carriageway below Box Hill, cross this and you begin the Box Hill climb from the roundabout. You'll turn right a few hundred metres further up onto Box Hill. Enjoy the climb, go round to the viewpoint and take a few photos before descending the same road again. The descent is nice. Much better than the Pebblehill Lane. Head back onto the dual carriageway or if your rather take the rather nice cycle path to the west until you get to Denbies. Pop into Denbies as planned. I've never actually stopped there myself but ridden through it many a time. As you exit Denbie's car park immediately turn right for the bridleway behind Denbie's building. You'll see it ahead heading up through the vineyard. Keep going up, you'll pass through two gates. Just before the end there is a right turn onto a little rocky/gravel path. This is the sacrifice for the nice climb. Be sure to look back as you climb up Denbies as the fews are kinda behind you!

After you get off the gravel you'll be at Ranmore Common. There's two other routes up to this point - Ranmore Road and Ranmore Common Road. Could be worth a try if you fancy a short extra climb. Otherwise head along the ridge until you get to Critten Lane. I really quite like this descent. Relatively flat but kinda open and easy to smash down. Enjoy it. Once you get to the end there is a bakery called "The Bakery" if you need any refreshments. Otherwise carry on heading along until you go through Effingham Common, into Cobham, and then take the traditional Londoner heading out to Surrey route along Portsmouth Road back into Esher (albeit you'll be heading the other direction).

If you want longer than 32 miles I'd advise something like this: https://www.strava.com/routes/2896544048354673764
This will carry on and skip the Critten Lane descent in favour of heading down Crocknorth (another steep one). Then you'll take the nice climb of Green Dene up to Staple Lane before descending that into the East Clandon area. This is a fun descent. Just be careful at the ~90deg bend half way down - some drivers cut the corner a bit. From East Clandon you'll take a nice route along the lanes back into Cobham.

Opposite Critten Lane is Whitedown Lane. This is generally regarded as one of if not the hardest "Surrey Hills" hill. Pop down it and back up if you want :)

Other options would involve going south of Ranmore Common/Denbies and heading up to the likes of Leith Hill or Whitedown Lane. I don't have time to plot those right now though!

Apologies for the word splurge but hopefully you enjoy the ride!

Soldato
Plenty better climbs that way. Only any good because you can say you rode on an Olympic course, it's not tough or steep and is usually busy, but if you're that way it's nice to tick off.
It's as hard as you make it. I've been vaguely trying to go sub 5:30 in last few years. That is tough! :D
PR'd at 5:38 somehow recently without expecting it. Should probably go do it properly in summer but somehow never get around to it and it's usually too busy for silly efforts.

Soldato
@Lethal`

Wow that’s amazing. Thank you so much. I’m not overly bothered about heading via the Thames and just generally tried to pick a route through what looked like greener areas rather than town centres, but with no knowledge of the area and not much research I was going in a bit blind. I’m on a gravel bike so whilst I’d have preferred roads I’m ok off it. Strava can be a little confusing and often refer to paved paths as dirt tracks so I wasn’t sure what kind of terrain I was on!

The 38 miles was longer than I’d intended. My initial plan was closer to 30 but then I moved things around to get Box hill in before Denbies. Although with only a glass or so I’m sure it wouldn’t make much difference. I hadn’t thought it of going up Box Hill and then turned around to get back to Denbies. Your route makes me feel stupid!

I’m no heavy cyclist. I do around 2 10 mile rides a week at most so this is more just a nice way to spend the day whilst my wife is working. I don’t need huge climbs to challenge myself etc so having the scenery is the main thing.

I really appreciate the effort you’ve gone to. The weather seems to suggest it’ll hold up too, so hoping it’s a good day.

We got here late but already seems like there’s a hell of a lot of money around. We’re in my wife’s bosses airbnb in the centre by Waitrose and having a walk down the high street is crazy. One shop only sells up market taps!

Soldato
Surely it's one of the most well known bits of cycling road in the country? Why would I not want to cycle it one time and go and ride a local climb I've done 60 times already? There are also, by all accounts, some amazing roads and climbs all round that area. Again, why would I not want to go and ride them? Part of what I've been enjoying this year, having been cycling the same old roads my first year, is exploring new roads and areas. Again... why would I not want to go down there and explore there?

Soldato
Does anyone have recommendations for gloves? Ideally something suitable for a 5-12c ish temp range. Have some cheap Bontrager windproof ones at the moment but the temp range I find them usable is really small.

Soldato
You can replicate the experience by riding over your nearest speed bump (pick one in a busy area preferably) and paying £5 for a coffee.

;)
Trying to think of a suitable northern monkey aimed response but I'll admit it's tough :D I still have nightmares about that one time on the Cat n Fiddle where I basically swam up and down it in full bikepacking gear in torrential rain. Buxton Pizza Express never looked so inviting until that!

Surely it's one of the most well known bits of cycling road in the country? Why would I not want to cycle it one time and go and ride a local climb I've done 60 times already? There are also, by all accounts, some amazing roads and climbs all round that area. Again, why would I not want to go and ride them? Part of what I've been enjoying this year, having been cycling the same old roads my first year, is exploring new roads and areas. Again... why would I not want to go down there and explore there?
I think you missed the joke :p It's certainly worth riding if only for the view. The climb itself does get bigged up as if it's some alpine route so that's why it gets stick. It has two switchbacks but it's far from tough.

Set off around half 8. Which meant lots of traffic on windy B roads and now it’s only 11 and I’m the only person drinking wine….
Ahh the chelsea tractor commuters of Surrey. They're not fun. That route should have been relatively quiet at least. Going through Hook/Chessington at that time would have absolutely sucked.

@Lethal`

Thanks a lot again for the route. Took just under 3 hours for the 32 mile route and by the end my right knee had a little pain so was quite relieved to not have to do another 6 miles.

Really enjoyable and some lovely scenery.
No worries! Glad you enjoyed it.

Soldato
Yeah good point. It was mainly around the centre of Esher that was an issue.

I’d done a few days of hill reps running so it took a while before my legs loosened up. As such I was very slow and the roads were narrow to the point some cars were overly carful of overtaking.

The worst part was a horrid squeaking up the first part of Box hill. I made it to the top not knowing what it was but thinking 18 miles would be annoying. Luckily it went with a bit of pace and a hard slam of the brakes.

Denbies was great. Would’ve been better had the main restaurant been open for better views but was too early.

Soldato

I thought it was common knowledge that you can’t mention Box Hill without some northern monkey (e.g. me) taking the **** because we have to do bigger climbs just to get out of our driveways. :p

You’ve definitely got to do the climb if you get chance but don’t miss the other good ones around there.

Back
Top Bottom