Road Cycling

Soldato
Had my first cycle event with work that I organised, down in the Leckford/New Forrest area. Was generally a success, apart from losing two people... The first night, one chappie on about how he doesn't like technology and following routes... sure enough, we lost him. To be fair he was fine about it and just made his own way back.

Ticked off another Top 100 climb with Combe Gibbet. Saturday morning was a little cloudy and a little cold, but then the sun came out in the afternoon and Sunday's weather was great too.

OnDXVDr.jpg

3fMsoRg.jpg

There were 9 different people across the two different days, 8 on Sat and 6 on Sunday and it's really difficult trying to keep everyone together and at a pace that people are happy with.

Soldato
Just signed up for the Hemel hill buster 100k route on a whim. Certainly not fit enough for it to do it in a good time, so let's see how it goes ..

Whilst im thinking about it, whats the best option for some spare quicklinks without breaking the bank?

The KMC ones? Official Shimano ones (expensive) or does anyone have experience with any other cheapo ones?

Last edited:
Soldato
The other day I learnt my Sidi shoes that weren't tight enough with summer socks on can be adjusted on both sides... only had them a year :D
I should have read the manual!

• Haha
Reactions: fez
Soldato
Any chance Shimano will cover that by 2 year g'tee, or are you looking for a crankset deal again?
Just to update on this - no change for me - but read comments online that some users had theirs replaced by LBS which had sold/fitted as an 'act of goodwill' and no idea if that means Shimano covered the replacements as part of any dealer policy.

I would have thought that Shimano would warranty them out of normal because its a well known and accepted problem.
Accepted? Found no record that Shimano accepted it as a known problem. Plenty of others do and Shimano have confirmed it happens, but also state no responsibility or design flaw. Hambini has a good video on it and by Pauls comment figure GCN are too - but I didn't see or look for something from them?

If anyone has that to hand and any info then let me know. Happy to send this crankarm somewhere rather than just put it in the bin.

By all accounts the R7000 arms are solid? But I don't quite understand how they would still call them 'Hollowtech' if that was the case?

trying to get back into cycling but I'll be honest.. I hate my bike! I just want something comfy-ish with fatter tyres and decent groupo.. - say 1000-1500 budget, anything that's worth looking into?

current is a sensa SLE with 105 grouppo but I'm just not feeling right on it no matter what I do. Sizing wise it's no different to my previous bikes but its just a jarring frame - alu. My previous holdsworth carbon frame was lovely compared to this even on 25mm with 100psi in them.
GURDERERRS! Good to see you still lurking mate. Ummm can't comment but as you liked the Holdsworth before, why not look at another or something else from PX. They would have options I'm sure. Not sure what lead you to the Sensa, not a brand I'm familiar with but do recognise the name from somewhere...! Or look around for some trade-ins. Plenty of lockdown buyers now working back in the office, or at home and feeling the pinch so should be some deals around.

Lovely weather for a ride today. All went a bit wrong though.

Similar to ours! 13 started out, only 4 did the 'long route' and made it home! 3 punctures within the first hour, including me picking up a cut/split in my tyre which wouldn't seal. Put a worm in and after re-adding air a couple of times (& my pump giving up holding any decent pressure) I eventually gave in and put a tube in. Just after the biggest 'incident' of the morning... Clubmate hit a stone on a descent, in a group of 4-5 riders. SOMEHOW he didn't hit anyone else, or go straight over the bars, amazingly landing in the hedgerow. Unsure if it was the stone, the road or the hedge but broke his forks clean off at the headtube! So so lucky as things couldn't been so much worse! He didn't even have any holes in his kit, just a bang on the foot lots of scuffs and a scrape on his helmet. Incredibly lucky considering where it was, the marks on the road and with other riders around him! Not so lucky with the 3 year old Canyon...! Frame was a warranty replacement last autumn for some cracks in it already! :eek:

Any Tubeless & hookless tyre recommendations? Really don't rare these Pirelli P-Zero Race TLR for these roads. Obviously not tough enough, I've had 4 cuts/holes which wouldn't seal and they've only been on there 13 months, with probably only 7 months of that active. Currently looking at the Vittoria Corsa N.EXT TLR in 28mm...

Soldato
Whilst im thinking about it, whats the best option for some spare quicklinks without breaking the bank?

The KMC ones? Official Shimano ones (expensive) or does anyone have experience with any other cheapo ones?
Or SRAM 11s Powerlinks. I've used them on Shimano 11s chains before.

The other day I learnt my Sidi shoes that weren't tight enough with summer socks on can be adjusted on both sides... only had them a year :D
I should have read the manual!
Haha, I bet that's those with the buckle strap?! Only figured it out on my old ones after I spotted it on some Shimano shoes I had. It was far more obvious on them!

fez

fez

Caporegime
Any Tubeless & hookless tyre recommendations? Really don't rare these Pirelli P-Zero Race TLR for these roads. Obviously not tough enough, I've had 4 cuts/holes which wouldn't seal and they've only been on there 13 months, with probably only 7 months of that active. Currently looking at the Vittoria Corsa N.EXT TLR in 28mm...

Got some michelin power road 28s on my Zipp 303s firecrests and they have been great in my somewhat limited experience.

Nearly binned it on a ride earlier though when I was going around a corner and my front wheel just went from under me for a moment. I think I just hit a patch of loose stone and luckily it slipped over them and bit again before I was on the ground. Scary though.

Soldato
Or SRAM 11s Powerlinks. I've used them on Shimano 11s chains before.

Haha, I bet that's those with the buckle strap?! Only figured it out on my old ones after I spotted it on some Shimano shoes I had. It was far more obvious on them!
Yeah - it's literally one of the first features called out on their product page :D

SOFT INSTEP CLOSURE SYSTEM - https://www.sidi.com/en/road-shoes/143-scarpe-genius-10.html

That's the problem with buying in store and not researching first (recommended in bike fit)... I don't end up knowing all the technical details of the product.

Associate
Quite happy with the Conti GP 5000 str's 28mm though i was looking at their newer TT TR version once i need a tyre change

Soldato
I've been out of the cycling game pretty much since my boy was born nearly 2 years ago (bar a few rides I managed to sneak in) but I'm having a last ditch attempt to get myself back into a routine for both my physical and mental health. Seemingly forever ago I signed up to a 100 mile closed road sportive... then Covid happened and it was postponed, then postponed again, then when the even finally happened last year I didn't feel like I was up to the challenge so I deferred my entry. Well, that ride is now happening in 18 days so even though I'm probably less prepared than I was 12 months ago it is now or never!

I've done a few cold winter morning rides around 20 or so miles which felt like hard work but then again, those types of rides always do! The last month has been pretty much dedicated to moving house so now I'm on a strict routine to get some 25 - 30 mile solid rides in as preparation for the tour of Cambridgeshire on the 4th June.

Even beyond that event I need to keep up with my riding because I generally feel so much better when I do. I've got a decent garage now (ie. one that doesn't leak) so the plan is to Zwift my way through winter but we'll ignore those cold short days for now as we have a whole summer ahead of us!

Anyway, no real reason for this post other than to say hi again and I look forward to scrolling back through the posts to see what you have all been up to.

Soldato

Road.cc rated the new Panaracer Agilest which is hookless and a "sensible" price. I saw the price of the new GP 5000 AS TR - £80 a tyre! :eek:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Road.cc rated the new Panaracer Agilest which is hookless and a "sensible" price. I saw the price of the new GP 5000 AS TR - £80 a tyre! :eek:

To be fair you rarely pay the RRP on tyres. I would say that if you look around and use some coupon codes the top of the line Contis are about £50 a pop. I got my michelin power roads for around £75 for the set about a year ago.

Soldato
GURDERERRS! Good to see you still lurking mate. Ummm can't comment but as you liked the Holdsworth before, why not look at another or something else from PX. They would have options I'm sure. Not sure what lead you to the Sensa, not a brand I'm familiar with but do recognise the name from somewhere...! Or look around for some trade-ins. Plenty of lockdown buyers now working back in the office, or at home and feeling the pinch so should be some deals around.

haha.. yeah still around! just about, my fitness is bad lately I had a proper bad start to the year where I nearly kicked the bucket after appendix burst etc so I'm extra weak and probably why I'm crying about the comfort :D I'll get back into it.. somehow. Gym has picked up and strenght is slowly coming back but I need to up my cardio and sort out the extra chub I built up.

I did look at planet X and to be honest... I'm quite tempted by a Titanium frame. I don't particulary care about speed/racenyess of the bike or stiffness. Just want a "nice" all around bike to get some K's in and get some fresh air. My riding time is limited to lunch breaks currently. May get a Dolan if anyone tried them?

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair you rarely pay the RRP on tyres. I would say that if you look around and use some coupon codes the top of the line Contis are about £50 a pop. I got my michelin power roads for around £75 for the set about a year ago.

Bikeradar listed RRP as £95, road.cc as £90! I got the £80 price for the 5000 AS TR from Wiggle.

Soldato
haha.. yeah still around! just about, my fitness is bad lately I had a proper bad start to the year where I nearly kicked the bucket after appendix burst etc so I'm extra weak and probably why I'm crying about the comfort :D I'll get back into it.. somehow. Gym has picked up and strenght is slowly coming back but I need to up my cardio and sort out the extra chub I built up.

I did look at planet X and to be honest... I'm quite tempted by a Titanium frame. I don't particulary care about speed/racenyess of the bike or stiffness. Just want a "nice" all around bike to get some K's in and get some fresh air. My riding time is limited to lunch breaks currently. May get a Dolan if anyone tried them?

My hack bike is a Dolan RDX which I purchased frame only. Well, it was frame, fork, seatpost, headset etc. Was quite impressed by Dolan at the time as I e-mailed a few questions in whilst building and somebody got back to me quite quickly with useful answers.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Bikeradar listed RRP as £95, road.cc as £90! I got the £80 price for the 5000 AS TR from Wiggle.

Are they basically contis brand new model? They do tend to be a little harder to find discounted. I can get them for about £72 on sigma with a coupon code but yeah, still super expensive for a single tyre.

OG

OG

Associate
Purchased some Specialized s-works 7 shoes at the end of last year to replace some old Specialized shoes I purchased ages ago. I just can't get on with them, the foot bed just seems ever so slightly too narrow for me - loosening off the boa dials just ends up with my foot sliding around in the shoe but not really relieving the pressure points over the width of my foot. It's fine for an hour or so but any longer and I start getting pins+needles in my little toes.

Probably should have read a bit more online before buying them, apparently they are 'quite narrow' compared to some of other Specialized shoes which is a bit annoying. Their torch shoes get rave reviews especially considering the apparent increased width over their previous s-works shoes but am I mad for being tempted to spend over £300 on a pair of shoes? I've always prioritised comfort over performance... does anyone have any suggestions for slightly wider fit cycling shoes? I see a few brands do specific 'wide fit' shoes which ironically I think might be too wide (based on experience with wide fit running shoes).

Cheers

Associate
I find Shimano standard shoes fit well for more normal-sized feet. They also do wide-fit version. I have the RC7 which I prefer to my old Fiziks. Their top-of-the-range line is Shimano RC9 S-Phyre and their latest model has just been released too decent reviews.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
does anyone have any suggestions for slightly wider fit cycling shoes? I see a few brands do specific 'wide fit' shoes which ironically I think might be too wide (based on experience with wide fit running shoes).

Cheers

Lake shoes. I have quite small but super wide feed and they are one of the only brands that seems to really care about foot width and make it a large part of their fit.

Reactions: OG
Soldato
Got some michelin power road 28s on my Zipp 303s firecrests and they have been great in my somewhat limited experience.
Have not ridden a Mitchelin for a while and don't know anyone who has them tubeless. They seem to review ok, but I just can't do it with the blue labels. Especially at £60+ each!

Quite happy with the Conti GP 5000 str's 28mm though i was looking at their newer TT TR version once i need a tyre change
Yeah think I've circled back to the STR. Didn't buy them before going with the P-Zero at £68 each but really annoyed with myself for saving £5-10 each over them now.

Not a tyre I know, or a brand I've ever ridden. Too dubious with unknowns at this point!

Really?! Share some links! Looking at the GP5000 S TR in 28mm and can't see them in stock for much less than £70. Alpinetrek.co.uk are very cheap but they're German and shipping can take many weeks.

Mantel have them for £49.79 but not in stock until next week... Kinda happy with that to be honest, but no way to pre-order. I bet the price will go up when they come in!

Don't know Dolan myself but know several riders who rate them, so could be a good choice if going frame only? Seem to recall they had a pretty good thing on their website for building up but no idea if you get much of a deal doing it direct.

Purchased some Specialized s-works 7 shoes at the end of last year to replace some old Specialized shoes I purchased ages ago. I just can't get on with them, the foot bed just seems ever so slightly too narrow for me - loosening off the boa dials just ends up with my foot sliding around in the shoe but not really relieving the pressure points over the width of my foot. It's fine for an hour or so but any longer and I start getting pins+needles in my little toes.

Probably should have read a bit more online before buying them, apparently they are 'quite narrow' compared to some of other Specialized shoes which is a bit annoying. Their torch shoes get rave reviews especially considering the apparent increased width over their previous s-works shoes but am I mad for being tempted to spend over £300 on a pair of shoes? I've always prioritised comfort over performance... does anyone have any suggestions for slightly wider fit cycling shoes? I see a few brands do specific 'wide fit' shoes which ironically I think might be too wide (based on experience with wide fit running shoes).

Cheers
What size are they/you? Are you using foodbeds/insoles? It's worth trying. Generally flatter wider feet have poor arch strength so a raised insole to support it will give you a better fit in the shoe and also stop lots of movement so you don't have to do them up as tight. Especially if you're finding movement AND numb toes, would imply you're doing shoes up too tight. Numb toes generally come from cutting circulation. Also worth getting a 'bike fit' - many fitters you can ask to do a 'shoe fit' and will look at your cleat/pedal position along with shoes you're using. They should be able to advise what brands and designs to go for. Might seem an expensive option, but if you're riding s-works 7 shoes already and looking at Torch then well worth it.

Soldato
I've had the GP5000 AS's since I got the bike back (done about 500 miles on them), and yes expensive, but they have been great so far. Grippy in the wet, feel fast and good grip in the dry too. Also was on a 30mph descent back from work and 20m before a nice sharp left hand bend - cycled over a large pile of glass. Thought that was me done, but survived without a puncture... so so far (touch wood!) their puncture protection has been great too. No evidence of sealant on the tyre too

Back
Top Bottom