Road Cycling

Soldato
This is timely, I really want to try the Mirror Power but the prices are insane. Could you post a link to the seller?
Sure thing, was this seller here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...o.order_list.order_list_main.5.18d71802iUfJfX

Found the link from the Chase Velo youtube channel, he hs a good few hundred miles on it and was impressed with it. Build quality is fantastic. I haven't had time to fit and test it myself yet though but will report back when I do. I'm 100kgs so will be a good test of its support!

fez

fez

Caporegime
I just took my bike down to try and find the knocking issue that has been annoying me lately and my front tyre was completely flat. Had a brief look over it and didn't see anything. Pumped it up and there was a pinprick leak near the tread. Span the wheel and the sealant seemed to have fixed it.

Just by chance I was looking again and noticed this whopper. Any opinions? Tyre is toast?

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yeah. I will pop it off. Just annoying as my rear tyre has taken a beating over the past year to the point where I am considering its retirement but the front was always good. No idea how long thats been there for but as you say, it would be a worry. I might have a look at booting it from the inside.

Soldato
I did my first epic bike ride today, at least I think I can class it as epic.. is 25m/40km epic? I've been commuting for 1.5 years 8 miles a day, and even though I bought the gear like clipless pedals and shoes it's not until today I went out for a bike ride. I started in Havant and took the cycle route parallel to the A27 to Eastern Road and went all around the edge of Portsea Island where I exited at Hilsea to cross over to Cosham to get back to Havant.

Associate
Both bikes won’t fit in the van :(

I’m desperately trying to find a van bike rack but finding one which will fit a Transit is impossible.

Going to explore those send a bike courier type places.
This will be of no use to you but I did the Norwich insanity sportive a few weekends ago and there were loads of vans with bike racks in. Some looked like home made builds but most looked like the were pre builds so they must be out there.

It’s really got me wanting to buy a van for no other reason than looking cool like they did. :cry:

Soldato
Those of you who commute on the bike - I'm intrigued, how far/fast is your commute?

I've just moved from Guildford into Fulham, and commuting to Weybridge.

It was 10 miles from Guildford, which was manageable without much forethought - but I am really having to think about fuelling correctly for the 20 miles to and from Fulham! The traffic is also much worse.

I also struggle to not go all out on the road (and wanting to get to/from work as quick as possible!), so end up in the mid 160s HR (I'm 28).

Just done the first full week, have interspersed with a couple of train journeys (mostly to avoid the headwinds) but feeling fairly knackered.

Just intrigued to see what others do!

Associate
Those of you who commute on the bike - I'm intrigued, how far/fast is your commute?

It was 10 miles from Guildford, which was manageable without much forethought - but I am really having to think about fuelling correctly for the 20 miles to and from Fulham! The traffic is also much worse.

I also struggle to not go all out on the road (and wanting to get to/from work as quick as possible!), so end up in the mid 160s HR (I'm 28).

Just done the first full week, have interspersed with a couple of train journeys (mostly to avoid the headwinds) but feeling fairly knackered.

Just intrigued to see what others do!
My commute is 16 miles each way. It is also 1000ft of climbing on country lanes in both directions, so it's fairly attritional. That being so, I only commute about 40% of the time between April and October because if I cycled in each day I'd not want to ride on the weekends. I also tend to avoid cycling in the rain (I can't avoid wind as I live on the coast) and try not to eat too much. I therefore try and keep my HR down especially when riding into work as otherwise I eat everything in sight! If I have a favourable wind then I will go for PBs but I'm fairly relaxed about my commuting speed. I'm currently at ride 89 which is 11 more than last year! I don't think I'm going to get many more in this year, but I have loved each ride and it makes me feel so much better than driving in!

Soldato
I got a new job back in March. Ideally I would've commuted via bike especially during the summer as it woukd've been a easy 22 miles each day and means avoiding the M4/M5 but the roads I'd have to cycle along don't look particulary inviting. Completely flat but also pure 40/50mph roads.

Soldato
Time is more important than distance for commuting, any more than an hour door-to-desk is more than i'm prepared to commit to (by any means of travel). Traffic lights will kill your average speed and make you sweaty from the constant starting efforts and once you get past a few miles/start going hard you will need to allow time to shower and change at the end.

with 15 sets of traffic lights, my pre-covid commute of 5 miles took 35 minutes door to desk including shower and change, and that was downhill most of the way. To give you an idea of how much the traffic lights hit me, my summer "long" commute route was 13 miles with only 5 sets of lights and it took significantly less than twice as long...

Last edited:
Soldato
I can do the 20 miles in ~58mins with a tailwind or 1hr 6ish with a headwind. Including lights, although seeing as half of them are in London everyone just flies through on red anyway...

Tonight took a lot of motivation to actually do and not get the train, but glad I did as was a lovely evening. Traffic was awful though even for a Friday!

fez

fez

Caporegime
Just stuck a continental GP500 S TR on the rear of my bike (30mm so its basically a fat bike now)

Amazing the difference between this and the Michelin Power Road when it comes to sealing the tubeless setup. The Michelins have been on there for over a year I think now. They still leak air at a rate of knots and I still see a lot of little pin hole leaks all around the tube.

Just been out on it for a quick 30k and I can see why people love these tyres. They feel super quick and generally super comfortable. I am tempted to get another for the front of the bike. I can't see any signs of sealant on the tyre and they only lost a few PSI overnight from when I put them on fresh. Generally a great tyre.

On an unrelated note, I had my first cultural exchange with a motorist on todays ride. Guy passed me so close that I could tap on the side of his car and then wanted to know why I had done so. Couldn't understand how it wasn't safe as he hadn't hit me. About half way through our conversation he tried complementing me on the fact I could cycle with one had whilst using the other to remonstrate with him :p

The irony being that as he was chatting to me he was far further away than when he passed me...

He had 2 children in the back so I don't know if that tempered him a bit but I hope that our brief exchange of words made him pass cyclists a little safer in future. I doubt it however. It was a classic case of a cyclist overtaking parked cars and a driver fancying the chance to sneak past both at the same time.

Always astonishing the silly manoeuvres people make to save a few seconds.

Soldato

Just intrigued to see what others do
I've got 11-12miiles one way in London.
plenty of lights, crossings etc, even with number of cycle lanes...
usually takes me 42-44 mins of cycling plus 3-5 mins of stop time for all the above...

my fastest was 38mins on my road bike with bit of luck.
but on road without traffic i could do 35mins i think

Soldato
I can do the 20 miles in ~58mins with a tailwind or 1hr 6ish with a headwind. Including lights, although seeing as half of them are in London everyone just flies through on red anyway...

Tonight took a lot of motivation to actually do and not get the train, but glad I did as was a lovely evening. Traffic was awful though even for a Friday!

thats decent avg speed for commute in London..

suppose avoiding central helps :)

Soldato
Bit of a nightmare morning for me. Quick check of the bike as I woke and I realised I had a flat rear. No problem, about an hour until the club ride, so made a start. Then realised something a little obvious, these new wheels are deeper than my previous, 60mm just about fit, but I only had one of those, my other tubes were 48mm. The tyre was SO hard to get back on, I managed to scratch the wheels a few times (now coloured dark with a marker to hide my clumsiness :rolleyes: ) and also pinched the only tube that fitted (I had a 2nd 60mm that I tried, but somehow that was a little shorter than the first 60mm and I couldn't get the pump on)

Took the commuter bike out on the club ride and bought one 80mm from the coffee stop. Fitted it when I got home and initially parts of the tyre wouldn't seat back in the groove, despite going to 100psi. As I span the wheel I could see a portion of the wheel that seemed reduced in size. I put it back on and went for a cautious ride up the road. Initially, there was a 'thud, thud, thud' feeling, but then I guess it popped on and seemed to be nice and smooth. I've not had this with a tyre before, is it common? The tyre is 'S-Works Turbo, 2BR, 700x26mm', has anyone experience with them? (I notice only 3 reviews on Specialized website and one says 'hard to mount on carbon wheels' so maybe I'm not alone. I do have 28mm Conti GP5000's waiting in the wings)

I've ordered 6 x 80mm Presta's from Decathlon, along with some plastic levers, but my only previous experience with plastic levers was when they snapped... so not sure I trust to take just them out and about with me.

Thinking about it, I'm very lucky my first flat was while I was at home and allowed me to realise my error. If it'd happened while out and about, I'd have been calling a cab!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom