Road to Rotary: Japan to France in an RX7

Oh, absolutely. I'm probably trying to apply too much logic to the idea but as the car would already be in France I'd have thought doing the trip the other way, ie. taking the car to its home would make more sense and give the series a real end point. Back to where it all began if you like. Whereas sending it straight back on the boat will leave the end point as 'back at randomshenans house' which I'm sure is very nice but maybe not so much of a climax.
I mean, that's not a stupid idea... and then ship it back at the end...

If he gets shot, bombed or arrested it will surely mean more views though? Think of the publicity! Could even live stream?
For me, it's not about clickbaity ******** but sharing an authentic experience and showing people what's possible. As much as that may not be something you believe, I'm fine with that. I just don't believe it will happen that way, so it's not something that worries me like that. Having all the paperwork in order would make a lot of sense, so people can't pick holes in paperwork etc.

I'm not here to make you believe anything, just sharing my experience. If you guys wouldn't do it, that's totally fine. You live your life, it's no problem to me :)

I think i'd probably personally feel a little more comfortable in having a bit of time to get to know the car first too, be able to use it for a few months at home, sort any teething issues and then away you go.

Either way, the 'story' is going to feel a little less natural now you need to ship the car back and forth anyway - whether that story is "bought an RX7 in Japan and driving it back" or "bought an RX7 and taking it home to Japan" - at least with the latter, the end of the video series is Japan, the sights, the landmarks and potentially a big climax. It builds in excitement from a few 'here is my new RX7' videos, maybe a few working on it, fairly routine cross Europe trip with a few landmarks, through the 'wilderness' of Russia with a bit of peril involved (in terms of what if i break down, not what if i get kidnapped for ransom), across SK and into Japan with all the fanfare that could bring - revisiting the places who have helped you out etc.

For me, it's not about clickbaity ******** but sharing an authentic experience and showing people what's possible. As much as that may not be something you believe, I'm fine with that. I just don't believe it will happen that way, so it's not something that worries me like that. Having all the paperwork in order would make a lot of sense, so people can't pick holes in paperwork etc.

I'm not here to make you believe anything, just sharing my experience. If you guys wouldn't do it, that's totally fine. You live your life, it's no problem to me :)

I was being semi-serious, but surely anything newsworthy/memeworthy (hawk Tua!) is surely going to be good in terms of channel growth.

tI8nF3Zl.png
->
D3KJMEzl.png

Eiffel tower - Tokyo tower?

Last edited:
I mean, that's not a stupid idea... and then ship it back at the end...
Exactly. The number of trips is the same, the process just flows a little nicer.

Plus, and lets hope this isn't required, it could go back to where it was fettled in the first place before going back to France for any work needed to get her running at 100%.

Actually, that would be quite a nice touch if you could swing it with them "Here she is again boys, #### miles and # countries later" would make a great bit of footage in my opinion.

Last edited:
Actually, that would be quite a nice touch if you could swing it with them "Here she is again boys, #### miles and # countries later" would make a great bit of footage in my opinion.
I was just talking to the guys at top rank about this, too.

I need to check with mazda and HKS, because HKS will need to ship the parts here for me to fit, rather than in Japan, but hopefully that won't be a problem.

I'll also chuck it out on the internet and see what people think, but could be a nice mix up to the series

I literally follow many people that have just been through, or are in Russia, right now. With UK passports... traveling through.

Just stay out of this thread if it's that triggering for you.

It isn't triggering me, the fact you think that speaks volumes about how you shouldn't be doing this.

Sure chances are you'll be OK in terms of dealing with border personnel they'll likely be professional and most Russians you'll meet won't have a problem with you but that is only half the story - there has also been multiple foreign citizens detained in Russia in recent weeks seemingly for ulterior motives by Russia and a declining diplomatic situation, the declining security situation probably won't affect your route but should still be a consideration.

If you are going to do it that is your choice but you should be doing so after making a fully informed decision and understanding the risks but you don't seem to be taking that onboard or willing to.

Last edited:
I was just talking to the guys at top rank about this, too.

I need to check with mazda and HKS, because HKS will need to ship the parts here for me to fit, rather than in Japan, but hopefully that won't be a problem.

I'll also chuck it out on the internet and see what people think, but could be a nice mix up to the series
Ah OK. In my head I was thinking;
Bought an RX-7 in Japan
Fix up and mod in Japan
Whoop my modded RX7 has just arrived in France
Drive back to Japan
Hey boys, thanks for the hard work and here she is after the trip
Lots of cool Jap stuff
On a boat back
Don't forget to like and subscribe. Smash the bell etc etc.
:p

However it ends up panning out I'll be watching for sure.

Back
Top Bottom