Road Tripping in the USA!

Soldato
Just booking my car to rent for the trip with girl and her sister, we really want a mustang cabrio, does anyone know how to guarantee this car on collection? I don't want 'or similair' haha

Soldato
Just booking my car to rent for the trip with girl and her sister, we really want a mustang cabrio, does anyone know how to guarantee this car on collection? I don't want 'or similair' haha

My advice: dont go for a mustang, they're crap. Get a Camaro.

But if you really want a mustang then there really is no reason to pay extra to guarantee one, just turn up at the rental place and pick your favourite colour. They'll have loads.

Associate
We are road tripping in June. We have our car booked and all hotels, except for the last night, booked too. We were planning on driving the PCH in two days, from San Fran down to LA to catch our flight home, with an overnight stop in possibly Santa Maria or Santa Barbara. However, I've read that parts of the PCH are likely to be inaccessible for the rest of the year due to storm damage. Can anyone suggest an alternative for our last night? Can we 'dip in' and see parts of the PCH? Or are we better off forgetting the PCH this time around and just taking either Route 101 or Route 5 down to Santa Barbara for one night?

Soldato
I've had a convertible Mustang about 5 times now from LAX, Vegas and Orlando airports (from Alamo and Dollar) only once had a problem with them having none on show in LAX asked the attendant if they'd got any and he brought about half a dozen more out! Think they just hadn't got round to replenishing the on show stock.

Doubt you'll have a problem to be honest.

Soldato
I've had a convertible Mustang about 5 times now from LAX, Vegas and Orlando airports (from Alamo and Dollar) only once had a problem with them having none on show in LAX asked the attendant if they'd got any and he brought about half a dozen more out! Think they just hadn't got round to replenishing the on show stock.

Doubt you'll have a problem to be honest.

Thanks buddy, gone and booked it! £1100 for 28 days, not bad to be fair. I'm not even bothered about what car I get, it's my girl and her sister, they're from Spain and obsessed with everything 'American' !

Soldato
Just about everywhere you go over here has free wifi too. I did a 30 day/7500mile road trip around the states booking hotels the day before we arrived, etc, all without data.

We did the same, booking places with AirBNB, at most a couple of days in advance. If you get stuck for Wi-Fi, just find a Starbucks or McDonalds and stop for a drink while you do your planning, but lots of places have fee Wi-Fi.

Soldato
Is anyone able to confirm that I have the required insurance on my car (have never booked a rental in the US before). I went with Alamo via Economybookings and the rental voucher states:

Your rental includes
  • Mileage Unlimited
  • Local Taxes, Fees and Surcharges.
  • Insurance (Collision Damage Waiver, Third Party Liability)
  • PLEASE NOTE THAT INSURANCE IS EXCLUDED FOR US AND CANADA CITIZENS
However my confirmation email says I need to pay an extra £4/day for "Full coverage" which includes "Car Damage Excess" and "Theft Excess". This is:

• charges for all exterior and mechanical damages to the rental car, including:
    • bodywork, roof, undercarriage;
    • windscreen, windows, mirrors, locks;
    • engine, transmission, battery;
    • wheels (tires, rims, hubcaps)
  • charges for car theft;
  • charges for lost or stolen car keys or locking the car with keys inside;
  • charges for taking a taxi or towing a car from an accident or breakdown scene;
  • charges for loss of earnings while the car is being repaired;
  • administration fees charged by the car rental company

I suspect I don't need this extra but it isn't very clear to say the least. Cheers.

Soldato
Oh really!! Good to know, thanks :)

The longer I've driven it, the more I'm liking it. We drove over 200 miles yesterday and it just ate up the miles. The seats are soooooo comfy

Don't quote me on this but I think the Ecoboost makes different power depending on that fuel type you use - would be worth putting the premium fuel in to see if that makes it feel a bit quicker.

Soldato
I've booked a Corvette from LAX on the 27th of September for 3 weeks.
Has anyone on here ever had a guaranteed model booking from Hertz not honored?

I had fun and games when I booked a guaranteed Camaro SS. They kept trying to palm me off with a V6. FOrtunately I knew the visual differences so I stood my ground. After being shown 3 V6 cars I eventually got them to give me a Camaro SS convertible with Nav....Worked out well in the end, but definitely a pain to get to that point.

Back
Top Bottom