Road Tripping in the USA!

Permabanned
Got my hire car yesterday in Vegas, I was promised a Altima but ended up with a choice of Camry , Malibu or Fusion.

I had done all the research on the Altima, but knew eff all about the other 3, 5 minutes to choose the car you'll drive
5000 miles in in the next two weeks ?

I chose the Malibu but should have chosen the Fusion.
I was so annoyed, the Malibu doesn't even have a goddamn 3.5mm socket for my MP3 player or a ****** CD player [ Aaaaarrgghhh ]

Booking via voucher is a bit cheaper [ watch out for taxes and fees added when you pick up the car ] but the
choice of vehicle is a bit of a lottery, you get what is left on the lot.

Anyway, onwards to Monument Valley and we'll see how good the Malibu's suspension is
[ mwah haha ]

Man of Honour
OP
That's always how it works, with the exception of guaranteed rates for more special cars nobody is going to guarantee you something as mundane as an Altima, it's just an example.

Soldato
Hoping for a bit of advice guys.

June 1st to 27th road tripping with girl and her sister around south west. Picking up a car in Oakland, CA airport from Budget.

I have paid the full amount of £1209. Now, my question is and I can't get a definitive answer, even from Budget! Is how much are the going to hold on my credit card when I collect the car? There is a $0 excess CDW and it states

"The credit card authorization hold at the time of rental which at most locations will be the cost of the estimated rental charges or $200 dollars whichever is greater. Those funds will not be available for use until the vehicle has been returned and your financial institution has released the funds back to your account."

So wtf , does that mean they are going to hold another £1209 on my credit card? I really don't understand at all.

Thanks for any help, I've emailed them again asking what they mean by 'rental charges'

Permabanned
It's purely as an insurance in case you renege on any contractual agreement e.g. not returning the car
with a full tank of gas.

I wouldn't worry about it. They don't literally remove money from your account at the
start of the rental and replace it at the termination.

The fact that they have your credit card details is enough, it's merely a form of security.

That's why they treat people who don't have a credit card as a lifeform lower than pond life.

Soldato
Just about to book the hire car for our roadttrip in October. Have seen usrentacar.co.uk spoken of well here so planning on using them - one query I have if anybody can enlighten me - looking at the Gold package as we have 3 people who will be taking turns in driving so - should I be looking at the platinum package? Only differences that I see are Windscreen / Tyre and Undercarriage cover, is this worth a £45 price difference in your experience? What would you go for?

Thanks

Soldato
Hoping for a bit of advice guys.

June 1st to 27th road tripping with girl and her sister around south west. Picking up a car in Oakland, CA airport from Budget.

Isn't that a bit.... odd?

Just about to book the hire car for our roadttrip in October. Have seen usrentacar.co.uk spoken of well here so planning on using them - one query I have if anybody can enlighten me - looking at the Gold package as we have 3 people who will be taking turns in driving so - should I be looking at the platinum package? Only differences that I see are Windscreen / Tyre and Undercarriage cover, is this worth a £45 price difference in your experience? What would you go for?

Thanks

It's an insurance product really so completely up to you. I never bother and have driven roughly 12,000 miles in the US over the past 3 years and never had a windscreen or tyre issue. Equally you could get a puncture 1 mile into your trip.

Permabanned
Indeed, I've driven over 45,000 miles in the US over the last 10 years and the worst calamity was a tyre that had a very slow leak.

These are 1 to 2 year old cars with regular servicing, they don't break down, as for punctures, some don't have spare wheels at all, some have
skinny emergency wheels.

You takes your chances, frankly at $7 per day for Roadside Assisstance I'd rather spend that on something more fun.

Soldato
Isn't that a bit.... odd?

Haha, nah it works out well as we all love travelling, get on really well and saves cash when more people contribute. I've been to Ibiza with my brothers fiance.. now that was probably more odd haha.

Thanks for the info guys, reason I was asking is that my card does indeed have a small limit, only 1500 GBP and £500 of that I've already used to book a lot of the hotels.

I'll make sure there is a £1000 on there for the deposit just to make sure.

Thanks guys

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
^^ interested to understand the benefits of a pre paid card like that over a regular fee free credit card. Surely a fee free regular credit card is far easier (You dont have to load it or watch the balance ready to load more onto it, and unload it afterwards), and more secure?

Soldato
Haha, nah it works out well as we all love travelling, get on really well and saves cash when more people contribute.

Does it really save that much money? 3 lots of flights, food, drink and attractions means it's the exact same cost for those. Hotels - are you planning on sharing a room with your GFs sister? If not then won't having 2 rooms between 3 people cost more per person than 1 room between 2? Car rental will be split 3 ways but surely you are looking at a few hundred pounds saving? I'd much rather just got for 3 weeks and with my GFs sister?

^^ interested to understand the benefits of a pre paid card like that over a regular fee free credit card. Surely a fee free regular credit card is far easier (You dont have to load it or watch the balance ready to load more onto it, and unload it afterwards), and more secure?

There are no benefits over something like a Halifax Clarity.

Soldato
Does it really save that much money? 3 lots of flights, food, drink and attractions means it's the exact same cost for those. Hotels - are you planning on sharing a room with your GFs sister? If not then won't having 2 rooms between 3 people cost more per person than 1 room between 2? Car rental will be split 3 ways but surely you are looking at a few hundred pounds saving? I'd much rather just got for 3 weeks and with my GFs sister?

Yeh will be saving quite a lot to be fair as all 3 of us are sharing rooms with two double beds so have managed to save a lot and another problem is the car we got Mustang Cabrio will just about hold 3 peoples luggage let alone 4.

Soldato
Because my credit card is a bit rubbish and charges 2.99% per transaction or something like that when used abroad.

So why don't you get the Halfix Clarity CC? It's free, fee free for foreign spend and you can even withdraw cash from an ATM. It'll cover you for fraud and you won't lose £2500 when you leave the card somewhere. Best of all you get the Mastercard exchange rate at the time of spend so there is no hedging the exchange rate with a prepaid card.

As an added bonus at the moment Halifax will give you £20 credit for using your card abroad once before the end of September.

Failing that there are other cards like the Nationwide Select CC which is the same as the Halifax but uses the Visa rate.

Yeh will be saving quite a lot to be fair as all 3 of us are sharing rooms with two double beds

Each to their own but that sounds rubbish.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers for the helpful advice buddy, I'm with Nationwide so may be worth giving them a try? Although only have 3 weeks left!

The banter the 3 of us have is great so kind of looking forward to it!

Soldato
Cheers for the helpful advice buddy, I'm with Nationwide so may be worth giving them a try? Although only have 3 weeks left!

The banter the 3 of us have is great so kind of looking forward to it!

I would be applying for a Nationwide Select CC today and ditching the silly idea of taking a prepaid card. 3 weeks *should* be enough time for the application to be processed and the card delivered.

Back
Top Bottom