Road Tripping in the USA!

Man of Honour
OP
Yeh will be saving quite a lot to be fair as all 3 of us are sharing rooms with two double beds so have managed to save a lot and another problem is the car we got Mustang Cabrio will just about hold 3 peoples luggage let alone 4.

Does seem an... interesting arrangement. Surely your GF's sister is going to get a bit fed up of being the third wheel especially without her own room? :p

Also you need to prepare for the eventuality that you won't be able to fit everything into a Mustang cabrio. We just about managed two peoples luggage into ours after packing light and that was for just over 2 weeks not almost 4. The rear seat legroom is also incredibly tight and not somewhere I'd want to spend more than 15 minutes let alone 4 weeks of road tripping. Even something like a Cadillac ATS basically swallows 2 peoples luggage and is then full in the boot...

The Mustang Cabrio is a great first Cali trip car but on this occasion I think you are going to be better off renting something larger.

Soldato
Thanks for info mate. The room situation is cool, we've done it before in the Philippines where we often shared, we do have a few nights here and there where we have our own rooms just to mix it up a bit.

I have been speaking with them regarding the cabrio and the space, they are being very annoying and naive about it. I'm trying to tell them we should rent something larger but they're being stubborn.

Do you think we would get 3 x carry on cabin sized suitcases? We're packing for a week each and just going to wash/dry clothes as we go along.

Soldato
Thanks for the info guys, I am telling them now that this mustang will not work and whoever is in the back is going be extremely uncomfortable during the long 4hr drives, plus and SUV is half the price ughh.

Permabanned
Mate, it's a US road trip, the Mustang is a MUST for credibility, SUVs are for rednecks, plumbers and housewives.

If there's a problem with luggage ditch the females, they'll just moan all the goddamn time anyway.

Soldato
The Mustang boot is an awkward shape - you'll need soft cases to really use any of the space. We had 2 large wheeled duffle bags in the boot (as you can squash them in) and then 2 hand luggage size bags on the back seats (with the front seats back as far as possible). If you are taking hard cases you'll get 1 in the boot, 1 across the back seats and 1 left at the side of the road.

I found the 2004-2011 6 Series cab boot to be smaller than the similar era Mustang cab boot, not sure if either have changed much for the new models though.

Caporegime
Nitram don't be put off by the guys in here. I get the impression most of them would consider "roughing it" as having to stay in a Super 8... :p

Nothing wrong with going round with family members. I did a trip with my sister and GF a few years ago and have done trips with my parents and GF as well. For expensive trips it helps save a lot of money when sharing the cost and means you can spend it on other more interesting things than a hotel room. And besides, if you all want to do the same trip you may as well do it together.

Also I'd go with an SUV over a mustang any day. Depending on where you're going it'll relax you a lot as you won't have to constantly worry about hitting the car park ramps at the right angle and bottoming out the car*, and/or taking gravel tracks without worrying about getting stuck/bottoming out as well.

Definetly look into the Nationwide card mentioned above though. It'll be very useful.

Out of interest what are people's definitions of travelling light? To me that means a 40-50L duffel (or sharing a 70L) and a single 20l rucksack but it sounds like others aren't quite that "light"?

*seriously I do wonder how people get away with low cars, there are so many entrances to car parks that are reducilulouslu designed.

Last edited:
Soldato
You don't consider a Super 8 "roughing it"? They must have nice Super 8s near you! :p One of the last ones I stayed at had crack heads knocking on the door in the middle of the night, the door chain/retainer thing was snapped off, the beds were 'moist', there was a huge stain on the carpet that looked like someone had rolled over and thrown up off the bed and I'd have got out of the shower dirtier than when I got in. We left there at 4am after the car alarm started going off and when I was handing in the keys the receptionist just stood at the window staring straight ahead, didn't even look in my direction. The one I stayed in in Atlanta had someone walking around nearby shooting at stuff.

100% agree on the SUV thing though

Caporegime
Still better than many places I've stayed in over the years, and probably better than where they stayed in the Philippines. :p And better than a tent!

But no, never been in a super8 that was that bad, they're basic motels - nothing wrong with any of the ones i've stayed in. :p

Soldato
We took 20KG in a duffle bag each and 10KG in hand luggage for our month trip in a Mustang and that *just* fitting in the boot, it was about 22KG and 10KG on the way back due to shopping.

The two hand luggage bags did use up both back seats though so the car became a 2 seater.

Soldato
I do find it odd that there is no Travel Lodge/Premier Inn equivalent in the states. There just seems to be a complete void between a complete dive like a Super 8 and decent hotels. While in reality they are both in the same category of budget hotels. Places like Super 8 get really badly reviewed with lots of issues with cleanliness where that just isn't the case in the UK with Travel Lodge/Premier Inn generally do very well.

Man of Honour
OP
I do find it odd that there is no Travel Lodge/Premier Inn equivalent in the states. There just seems to be a complete void between a complete dive like a Super 8 and decent hotels. While in reality they are both in the same category of budget hotels. Places like Super 8 get really badly reviewed with lots of issues with cleanliness where that just isn't the case in the UK with Travel Lodge/Premier Inn generally do very well.

There is, it's basically Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express.

Associate
So when I turned up at Alamo at MCO last week to pick up my car they said they had upgraded my car from a Mustang. So when I walked around to pick it up it was brand new BMW 430i only 14 miles on the clock! Honestly I was floored I have never drove anything so nice in my life. Big upgrade from my 140bhp 1L Fiesta at home. Very Comfortable but when I stuck it into sport mode it turned into a beast :p

K72XKeq.jpg
5h6Jp4D.jpg
BItwrZr.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Any good? Enough room for 4 people comfortably and luggage (not a massive issue if there isn't room for 4 big bags though since they can go in someone else's car)?

I think it's ideal and I really enjoy them. It's 3 series sized. What is it with people on here squeezing so many people into cars in road trip holidays?!

I find the ATS an ideal size for two, we fill the boot with the luggage but you can probably seat two comfortably in the back.

Soldato
I think it's ideal and I really enjoy them. It's 3 series sized. What is it with people on here squeezing so many people into cars in road trip holidays?!

I find the ATS an ideal size for two, we fill the boot with the luggage but you can probably seat two comfortably in the back.
That's fine. My gf's dad is also hiring a car and it'll only be occasionally we take her brother and his gf in our car with us, not all the time and not for massive distances - it's not a "road trip holiday". I just want something half-decent. It's a shame the full-size SUV option is so much more expensive since that was my original desire.

Back
Top Bottom