Road Tripping in the USA!

Soldato
A Mustang is perfect for 2 people on a long (2 weeks+ trip) or 3 people for a few day. On our trips (3 weeks) after cases (boot) and hand luggage / day bags (back seats) and us (front seats) there simply wouldn't be anywhere for someone else to sit.

Soldato
Well no :p

It's tolerable on a 2 week trip, it isn't perfect. It's something you do once for the novelty factor because novelty aside it's fairly crap.

Am I going to be thoroughly hacked off with it after 4 weeks? My only frame of reference is a 2005 MINI Cooper S though as that's the newest car I've ever had. The 2017 Mustang is going to feel like a futuristic spaceship in comparison surely? :p

Soldato
The V8 will be fun but it's still a common every day car. You won't dislike it.

Booking a convertible (Mustang or similar) is likely to get you a 2L 4 pot Ecoboost or maybe the V6 if you are unlucky (which has the same bhp as the Ecoboost). You'd need to specifically pay more and book a V8 if you want one.

Man of Honour
OP
Booking a convertible (Mustang or similar) is likely to get you a 2L 4 pot Ecoboost or maybe the V6 if you are unlucky (which has the same bhp as the Ecoboost). You'd need to specifically pay more and book a V8 if you want one.

Renting V8 Mustangs must be the most lucrative business model going, people pay astonishingly stupid daily rates for them even though they are not expensive to buy.

I drove off the lot in a $60,000 Cadillac once and the daily rate was half that of cheaper to buy V8 Mustang parked a few stalls over...

Soldato
Renting V8 Mustangs must be the most lucrative business model going, people pay astonishingly stupid daily rates for them even though they are not expensive to buy.

I drove off the lot in a $60,000 Cadillac once and the daily rate was half that of cheaper to buy V8 Mustang...

I'd argue you shouldn't need a V8 either for the types of trips people are talking about here.

I owned a V8 Mustang and at no point during the 10,000 miles of driving I've done in the US in a V6 / Ecoboost Mustang did I wish I had a V8. The idea of a Mustang in the US is to cruise around posing in front of cool scenery - the Ecoboost is still 300bhp so hardly slow compared with the 1.4l Astra's people rent in the UK.

Soldato
I'm now on the California leg of my trip. Hire car is a Chevvy Camaro SS, and I've got it for the next two weeks. It's nice. Decently powerful. The automatic gearbox is dreadful. Whenever I put my foot down, it just makes the engine rev really high and then the car lurches forwards after about a second. Fortunately, it does have a flappy paddle mode, which is much more pleasant to drive.

I'm not sure if the car is really wide, or Californian/American roads have really narrow lanes and parking spaces.

Soldato
Last time I hired in USA we had paper counterpart licence, now it has been abolished, is it worth generating a shared licence code from the DVLA?

Or will Avis literally not care as long as I have my normal photo card licence, passport and credit card?

Soldato
Last time I hired in USA we had paper counterpart licence, now it has been abolished, is it worth generating a shared licence code from the DVLA?

Or will Avis literally not care as long as I have my normal photo card licence, passport and credit card?

They won't know or care about it. US licenses are just a card so they never used to ask for the paper counterpart anyway.

Soldato
First time I went to the US I got the code from the DVLA and wasn't asked for it. I've rented 5 times since and never bothered to get it and not been asked for it, as Olly says they don't really know about it and the card is enough.

Back
Top Bottom