1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Tripping in the USA!

Discussion in 'Motors' started by [TW]Fox, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Joe T

Capodecina

Cool!

2. Joe T

Capodecina

Some tips and comments from my recent trip to the US:

- worth booking a car with satellite radio if possible

- Comfort Suites is a good ‘go to’ brand for a standard hotel

- B&Bs are worth seeking out and mixing in with other accommodations. Our experience of these has led to meeting some interesting people, some of which we’ve kept in touch with afterwards. Also, very often the properties themselves can be very interesting

- Always worth talking to people. One they hear your accent they will almost always strike up a conversation. For example, a chance meeting in an IHOP in Lincoln, Nebraska with the owner of a Trans Am converted 2011 Camaro led to an invite to a small town car show in the middle of nowhere with some great cars and people

- A good satnav is worth the investment (we finally bought a new Garmin in Walmart once the one I had previously bought (see my previous post) packed up.

- do not turn on data roaming on O2! I did see T-Mobile advertising a SIM designed for holidays makes for $30 which could be useful - something I might try next time.

YMMV of course :)

3. tlrBeta

Wise Guy

Great post - I do love reading some of the routes people have taken. I'm yet to do it I'm afraid, definitely on my bucket list - Lynchburg would be worth of a visit on it's own ;)

That said, not sure it's a trip to do with a 3 year old and 9 month old (hence the no spare cash!) :D

4. Roland Butter

Suspended

Just booked flight for next year, Edin-Chicago non-stop return for a measly £406.

I'm thinking Chicago to the Rockies and back, will Yellowstone roads be open in early May I wonder.

5. Joe T

Capodecina

If you can do Badlands National Park and Mount Rushmore en route then that would be good.

6. tlrBeta

Wise Guy

No experience apart from family being caught a few back at Yosemite Tioga Road , but I would say it's risky - they did have record snow last year I believe :). The Tioga Road in Yosemite opened May 21st this year.

I would love to be able to link to some Yellowstone snow pack site, but it seems I'm useless at finding one.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  7. timmeh

Mobster

That’s a pretty good route, you’ll have driven right through the town I live in. It’s a pity you didn’t make out to Asheville, it’s a really nice little town and the Biltmore is pretty interesting too.

Did you rent a cabin up in the Smokies? Some of them have some impressive views!

8. commited

Soldato

Hi folks,
    Has anyone booked their car with Virgin Holidays?
    I'm keen on them as they are the cheapest and use Alamo which appear to allow you to pick your car from the class when there.
    They seem to demand a UK address (which I have access to) but I have an Irish licence. I don't see anything in the T&Cs that dictates I must have a UK licence or be a UK resident.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  9. SoliD

Capodecina

I did look at going out that way but just didn't have time, was pretty non stop for 3 and a bit weeks to get that stuff in.

We stayed in Pigeon Forge, budget was a bit limited and booked late so not much available for the time of year we were there with it being halloween and fall time.

10. commited

Soldato

I wasn't able to complete the booking but that was a good thing as after lots of digging I found it 20% cheaper with rentcars.com with Alamo :D

11. sanaxe1

Soldato

Anyone every been to Lake Tahoe? Worth going to? Looks like there is alot of stuff to do, but would always prefer first hand reviews.

I Was thinking of doing the following next September.

Vegas 4 nights
    Yosemite 3 nights
    Lake Tahoe 8 nights
    Vegas 1 night

Will be hiring a car from Vegas .

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  12. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

8 nights?!

13. sanaxe1

Soldato

I'm guessing you think this is too much? how long do you think its worth staying there? My girl friend wants to do a scenic holiday with mountains and lakes etc. I also want abit of night life and things to do but not constantly moving place to place every couple of days.

14. Roland Butter

Suspended

What's the optimum time to rent a car ?

I recall someone saying book it 6 weeks from the time you need it.

15. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

As soon as you've booked your flights.

16. Roland Butter

Suspended

Well I booked the flight last week as it was cheap, the flight to Chicago is for May 2019.
    The prices for a hire car for May are not cheap, I'm thinking they are sure to get cheaper as the time gets closer, but maybe not.

17. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Oh right yea leave that until next year.

18. Fr0dders

Caporegime

does anybody know what the going rate is for a flight from London to LAX ?

Looking at going July next year so wanted to know when watching the flights at what point we should pull the trigger. Not sure what's a good deal at the minute and what's not

19. weringo

Sgarrista

Assuming outside of summer holidays, £500-600 is about average, £400 is very good.

I can see some flights around £300 for June - July next year, personally I would be snapping them up now.

20. Fr0dders

Caporegime

what website do you use to search flights ?