1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Tripping in the USA!

Discussion in 'Motors' started by [TW]Fox, Jan 8, 2011.

1. The Running Man

Caporegime

Any good ? I was wondering if the tahoes are decent ?

2. Joe T

Capodecina

Depends what you want really. The Tahoe is big,spacious, V8-powered, comfy, softly-sprung, cheaply built (especially the plastics), but importantly, all American! :cool:

The one we had had nav built in which was a bonus. Most of the infotainment and controls were related to those on the Insignia I had at the time - nice and easy for me.

A Suburban is the longer version, but you only need that if you have more than 5 people in the vehicle.

If you rent something in that category do hold out for a Tahoe as the Ford equivalent is rubbish.

3. geekman

Mobster

The 2018 Expedition is pretty good, the older ones are awful and barely changed since they were released in the mid 2000s.

4. SoliD

Capodecina

Tahoe from Alamo last year until it got broken into and then swapped out for an Expedition which as alluded to was junk, but looks like the new one is a massive step up although the Ford Sync was pretty good.

5. timmeh

Mobster

We got an Expedition from Avis. We did over 8000 miles in it in a month and didn't have a problem with it. It did try to blow itself up when it changed down to overtake people though.

I'd want one of the new Navigators over an Escalade too although I doubt any rental companies will have those.

6. SoliD

Capodecina

Oh when I say junk that's a very exaggerated term. It did the 2200miles or so just fine. But the tahoe was a far better place inside from a comfort, noise and refinement perspective and had mostly better toys. The expedition had cooling seats, electric fold down rear seats and a proper plug which were the highlights.

7. The Running Man

Caporegime

Rented this 2018 m4 comp pack

[​IMG]

Well that was fun. Went to malibu and back in a day!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now off to Las Vegas in a Chevy suburban

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  8. The Running Man

Caporegime

Today's ride! ZL1 650bhp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. geekman

Mobster

Do you have to be a US citizen to rent those? And roughly how much are we talking about per day?

10. The Running Man

Caporegime

No just on a UK driving licence. It was about $250 dollars for 100 miles in the m4 and similar for 300 miles in the camaro so not terrible consider they were a 2018 and 1
    2017 car respectively.

11. geekman

Mobster

Yeah, that’s not too bad, I’ll look into it for xmas. After months of driving a 4x4 it’ll be nice to get into something sporty.

12. The Running Man

Caporegime

Luckily I didn't pick up the tab and got added as an additional driver for free but let me twll gou driving both cars was awesome. And scary !

13. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

You don't think $250 for 300 miles in a Camaro is terrible?!! You can rent one for days with unlimited mileage for less!!

14. The Running Man

Caporegime

Really? A ZL1?

Any links?

15. The Running Man

Caporegime

Anything ?

16. acemastr

Mobster

A ZL1 is hardly a standard Camaro

17. Tomsk

Soldato

Rent a Jaguar F-Type V8S or a Chevrolet? :p

18. Roland Butter

Perma Banned

Mmm, and I thought I was being decadently reckless hiring a Ford Taurus rather than my usual Camry.

19. The Craig

Soldato

What are the best sites to look for car rental in Los Angeles? I'm going in May for a 15 day round trip and would like a mustang (or similar? Corvette?)

I heard it was best waiting till closer to the time? Should I still wait?

Unfortunately the exchange rate seems to have got worse altho brexit won't see it any better before May I think..

Anything else I need to look out for for insurances etc?

Seen I can get a concertible mustang on kayak for £37 a day (£555 total). Seem good? It's from gorentalcars.com which has very mixed/poor r reviews so I may need to give that a miss..

Can anyone recommend a sim card to use whilst there? (for Google maps, phone browsing etc?) I'm willing to pay for that rather than satnav particularly if they're as good/not too far off in cost?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  20. mohawk

Wise Guy

We went with Avis and they were pretty good (even though our mustang broke down after 2 miles!) we rented from San Francisco and dropped it off at LA. all insurances were included in the cost which was nice! i would recommend them!