Robert Jordan’s fantasy epic The Wheel of Time coming to TV

Soldato
Oh a race-swapped Aviendha, what a surprise! just look at that mane of bright red hair and those blue green eyes. She puts me in mind of those legions of dark-skinned freckly gingers at school, except no she doesn't as they were all as pale as **** and turned bright red the moment the sun came out. According to Disparu's vid we can also look forward to some more forced alphabet 'shipping at every opportunity. It must be at least 5 mins before the last "stunning and brave" lesbian kiss I saw.

Can't wait!

Soldato
I get that this is being described as "another turning of the cycle" so not the exact same events as in the books but I think that's just a retcon.

Rand is immediately identifiable as looking Aiel the moment he leaves the Two Rivers. It's remarked on by Loial first, then by Gawyn, then by various Shienarans. It's part of the "difference" that sets Rand apart. When he first meets some Maidens in a stedding, they think he is one of them and disgusted that he has a sword. The Aiel are geographically isolated and all descended from a specific "tribe". Their description is an integral part of the story.

Having Aviendha not being pale-skinned and ginger destroys the whole concept of the Aiel.

I have watched the show so far but simply refuse to see it as anything to do with the books. Which is a shame.

Soldato
I get that this is being described as "another turning of the cycle" so not the exact same events as in the books but I think that's just a retcon.

Rand is immediately identifiable as looking Aiel the moment he leaves the Two Rivers. It's remarked on by Loial first, then by Gawyn, then by various Shienarans. It's part of the "difference" that sets Rand apart. When he first meets some Maidens in a stedding, they think he is one of them and disgusted that he has a sword. The Aiel are geographically isolated and all descended from a specific "tribe". Their description is an integral part of the story.

Having Aviendha not being pale-skinned and ginger destroys the whole concept of the Aiel.

I have watched the show so far but simply refuse to see it as anything to do with the books. Which is a shame.

For me, the problems aren't so much about how the Aiel look. Their book description doesn't make a lot of sense for a people who have resided in the desert for the past 3,000 years (something which Jordan himself has stated). For plot purposes, they need to look distinct. Instantly recognisable as Aiel. But aside from that, it doesn't much matter.

The bigger problem is the reluctance of the show runners to create ethnic identities for the various peoples portrayed in the show. It's particularly problematic for the Aiel, given how important their appearance is to the plot. It remains to be seen how the show will handle that problem...

Caporegime
For me, the problems aren't so much about how the Aiel look. Their book description doesn't make a lot of sense for a people who have resided in the desert for the past 3,000 years (something which Jordan himself has stated). For plot purposes, they need to look distinct. Instantly recognisable as Aiel. But aside from that, it doesn't much matter.

The bigger problem is the reluctance of the show runners to create ethnic identities for the various peoples portrayed in the show. It's particularly problematic for the Aiel, given how important their appearance is to the plot. It remains to be seen how the show will handle that problem...

I agree. I wouldn't have had a problem if they had gone with making all the Aiel tall Aborigines or tall African tribesman or tall Arab Nomad type people. That would have had a lot more validity than what they have done and would have have really set Rand apart if he had been a tall black/dark skinned person. A bit like Wakanda. I think of the Wakanda Dora Milaje as been been stolen from Jordan's Far Dareis Mai.

I have always imagined them like some desert nomad none white race when reading the books despite Jordan's description of red hair etc. Always seemed to fit in my head better.

That way 2 of the major characters would have been none white for starters.

Caporegime
Only two more to go, it's great fantasy TV. Having not read the books, I think I'm enjoying it more than most. I love the Moiraine character, Rosamund Pike seems such a perfect casting to me, even though I have no idea what she's like in the books. And I really dislike Mat.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The books are very very overrated, I gave up after the first two and switched to the audio books which made it palatable.

As for the TV its good and I really enjoy it. Glad its been renewed for a third.

Caporegime
Only two more to go, it's great fantasy TV. Having not read the books, I think I'm enjoying it more than most. I love the Moiraine character, Rosamund Pike seems such a perfect casting to me, even though I have no idea what she's like in the books. And I really dislike Mat.

I hope Matt grows on me, he is still my favourite character in the books, more so after just listening to all the books again on audio (fantastic btw)

Last edited:
Soldato

Pike I like.

The first 5 or so books are good, more so the world then the writing. Loses its way after that until the new writers came on board and tightened it all up for the finale.

Caporegime
All 8 done now. Really enjoyed it, easily on par with Lord of the Rings for me. The ending was somewhat weird I thought but I guess as Moiraine says, this is only the beginning... I can't wait for season two. Presumably that's going to be nearer October time.

And just as aside, it was refreshing to see an Amazon Prime offering with so many language and subtitle options. I ended up watching in English with the Spanish subtitles and was pretty pleased that I could understand a lot of the Spanish. The subtitles were almost perfectly matched to the English dialogue. But when I tried out the Spanish language audio, it was almost nothing like the subtitles. The Spanish dialogue was bizarre. I wonder why that happens.

Soldato
Season 2 filmed and renewed for season 3. I hope season 2 improves it. Apparently parts of The Shadow Rising are in S3, which is something I'd really enjoy seeing, so I hope S2 really stands out.

Associate
If, we do not get "Selene" and mention of the Forsaken, then this TV series is going to be way shorter than the books.

I mean, if they just jump straight to the Dark One, you will be lucky enough to get the Last Battle by Season 4. Hopefully he was Ishmael...

However, after watching the abomination known as season one, I do not hold much hope of this. Casting absolutely terrible, cheap sets, lousy special effects. Oh and the writers thought they could rewrite the characters. Perrin was married for Gods Sake.

Soldato
If, we do not get "Selene" and mention of the Forsaken, then this TV series is going to be way shorter than the books.

I mean, if they just jump straight to the Dark One, you will be lucky enough to get the Last Battle by Season 4. Hopefully he was Ishmael...

However, after watching the abomination known as season one, I do not hold much hope of this. Casting absolutely terrible, cheap sets, lousy special effects. Oh and the writers thought they could rewrite the characters. Perrin was married for Gods Sake.
I think they've confirmed that a number of the Forsaken feature in S2.

I quite enjoyed S1 initially, then started to fall out with it. It ended better than the previous few episodes had lowered my expectations to, but all in all I thought it a poor reflection of the books. I've since started a re-listen of the audio books and have also rewatched a few episodes, which I've enjoyed, but am expecting it to turn again by E4...

The behind-the-scenes clips from S2 make me quite optimistic, but I don't have any problems with people thinking S1 was trash.

Caporegime
What a strange video - it doesn't really recap season one at all unless you have some weird ability to process all those frames in a split second. Nevertheless, I knew there was a reason I love this show so much... :D

AxLgYaP.png

I've also been watching Rings of Power (three episodes in) and that is total drivel compared to the rather excellent The Wheel of Time.

Back
Top Bottom