Robust WIFI solution

Associate
Thanks all.

So another question please. How do these behave concerning devices switching over to them when walking around the property.

Eg, do you set them all with the same SSID? In my example, if my tablet were to be connected in the main house and I were to then walk to an outbuilding, would there be a seemless switch over? What about in areas where two of the APs are overlapping, any conflicts?

Thanks

This is exactly the reason I went with Unifi APs. I have tried few mesh systems and none of them had proper seamless roaming which was temporarily breaking connection when switching between them so the phones would drop VoIP or WiFi calling calls.
With Unifi it finally works almost 100% of the time.
I'm using the AC Lite ones as at the time they were the best value...
My controller is running on Google Cloud platform which is free for a year and after that I will probably create new account to extend it by another year.

Caporegime
I have an Aruba Instant setup because I borrowed the APs from work, which is very good as well. Aruba mounting hardware is about a billion times better than any other AP vendor for some reason, which is a positive.

Man of Honour
Today I setup a BT Whole Home mesh. I know it's not going top be as good as a Unifi setup. But it's considerably cheaper. Obviously Unifi will be a better overall solution but this seems fine for a budget version.

EDIT: I have removed the prices in case that's against OcUK's rules, although they don't sell the BT items.

EDIT 2: I just called myself on Skype, leaving one end near some music and wandered around the house listening to it. It worked seamlessly so I assume it was switching between AP's. No drops or temporary disconnects while it was hopping between devices.

Last edited:
Soldato
2 AC LR cover my whole bungalow. Apart from a dumb 16 port switch, a patch panel and the broadband router, that's my kit. Never saw a need for any more of the unifi stuff. There are also dual ethernet ports in every main room. No use for my mobile though and not really needed for the laptop.

Will be using some of the in wall ones for the holiday cottages we rent out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom