Rodgers better than Mourinho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Brendan Rodgers 69 game unbeaten run in Scotland domestically comes to an end.

People say there is no competition up here but I didn't see Celtic doing anywhere near this before. So it's not as easy as some of the jokers seem to think it is.

Also people saying Rodgers isn't a good manager. Well he took a team that was just winning the league with Delia and transformed them into a team winning it by 20+ points and invincible. treble in his first season, etc. Something none of his predecessors could do. So if he's not a good manager then I'd like to see one that is.

He got unlucky with liverpool. Wasn't allowed to spend as much as klopp has. Now look at how bad Liverpool are defensively. He only just missed out on the league title with them and they have never got close since.

This is a feat that we may never see again. 69 games without a loss domestically. you could see the loss coming as they have been bad for the past few weeks and never turned up. Hope this gives them the boot they need to be up for the fight again.

I'd easily say Rodgers is in the top 5 managers in the UK. He'd walk into the Arsenal job with his style of play. I hope he stays here for 10 league titles in a row though.

Caporegime
Not the fairest title, Sonny didn't say he was better than Mourinho, he said he was easily better than all but 4 of the managers in the UK. I'm excited to see this list.

Don
He got unlucky with liverpool. Wasn't allowed to spend as much as klopp has. Now look at how bad Liverpool are defensively.

None of this is very true though, is it? His time at Liverpool was centred around Suarez and I don't mean to take away from anything he achieved with us. Rodgers arrived at Liverpool and his entire philosophy was possession football, "if you have more possession then x% of the time you win" etc etc. For 12 months Liverpool played reasonable football but went no where. I'm not sure whether by design or accident but we changed our way of playing the following season - we had the best player in the league and after Messi & Ronaldo, the best player in the world and suddenly we had a side playing to his strengths. We became the most direct, go for the throat attacking team I've seen in forever, completely at odds to what Rodgers previously preached. When Suarez left the following summer Rodgers was all at sea - he well and truly lost the plot. We were neither the possession team he first wanted nor were we the all out attack we had become - we were changing systems every other game, players were being played out of position and if Sturridge was unavailable, we were as toothless as most pensioners. He showed no signs that he could address the issues the team had developed and was lucky he lasted the summer before he was eventually sacked.

As for spending - in real terms he had more money than Klopp and despite having more money, he spent terribly. Some people might not be aware but Rodgers blocked the signing of Sturridge 6 months before he eventually signed, wanting to sign Borini and Dempsey (which didn't happen of course). If you look over the players Rodgers signed during his time at Liverpool (and I mean his signings rather than our infamous transfer committee) - Borini, Allen, Lovren, Lallana, Lambert & Benteke and then there's the failure to land Dempsey, Sig & Williams. Lallana's gone on to do well under Klopp (who's turned him into a completely different player) and Allen done well in spells but the rest of the signings made and (fortunately) missed out on are or were terrible.

And finally our defence. Our defence was worse under Rodgers than now :confused: In fact our defence became terrible under Rodgers. Previously under Dalglish we had quite a good defensive record.

Rodgers has done very well for Celtic and I'm genuinely pleased for him. He had some success at Liverpool and despite his failings in the end, none of it was down to a lack of effort on his part. It's incredibly difficult to compare him to any manager in the PL or even past Celtic managers because of just how one sided your League is and it' more one sided now than ever before.

Permabanned
None of this is very true though, is it? His time at Liverpool was centred around Suarez and I don't mean to take away from anything he achieved with us. Rodgers arrived at Liverpool and his entire philosophy was possession football, "if you have more possession then x% of the time you win" etc etc. For 12 months Liverpool played reasonable football but went no where. I'm not sure whether by design or accident but we changed our way of playing the following season - we had the best player in the league and after Messi & Ronaldo, the best player in the world and suddenly we had a side playing to his strengths. We became the most direct, go for the throat attacking team I've seen in forever, completely at odds to what Rodgers previously preached. When Suarez left the following summer Rodgers was all at sea - he well and truly lost the plot. We were neither the possession team he first wanted nor were we the all out attack we had become - we were changing systems every other game, players were being played out of position and if Sturridge was unavailable, we were as toothless as most pensioners. He showed no signs that he could address the issues the team had developed and was lucky he lasted the summer before he was eventually sacked.

As for spending - in real terms he had more money than Klopp and despite having more money, he spent terribly. Some people might not be aware but Rodgers blocked the signing of Sturridge 6 months before he eventually signed, wanting to sign Borini and Dempsey (which didn't happen of course). If you look over the players Rodgers signed during his time at Liverpool (and I mean his signings rather than our infamous transfer committee) - Borini, Allen, Lovren, Lallana, Lambert & Benteke and then there's the failure to land Dempsey, Sig & Williams. Lallana's gone on to do well under Klopp (who's turned him into a completely different player) and Allen done well in spells but the rest of the signings made and (fortunately) missed out on are or were terrible.

And finally our defence. Our defence was worse under Rodgers than now :confused: In fact our defence became terrible under Rodgers. Previously under Dalglish we had quite a good defensive record.

Rodgers has done very well for Celtic and I'm genuinely pleased for him. He had some success at Liverpool and despite his failings in the end, none of it was down to a lack of effort on his part. It's incredibly difficult to compare him to any manager in the PL or even past Celtic managers because of just how one sided your League is and it' more one sided now than ever before.

So you are saying Rodgers was directly involved in the above signings but not Couts, Bobby, Can, Moreno, Migs, Toure, Sahko, Origi, Gomez, Milner, Clyne. Where did you get this information?

Soldato
:D Guys a joke figure down south. He's had the media eating out his hand since he arrived. Half decent achievement going unbeaten domestically but the financial gap means it should have been a given. Very slim chance he'll get a decent job in England again.

Don
So you are saying Rodgers was directly involved in the above signings but not Couts, Bobby, Can, Moreno, Migs, Toure, Sahko, Origi, Gomez, Milner, Clyne. Where did you get this information?

He'd have been involved in all the signings we made in one way or another but it was widely reported and generally accepted that those particular players were players that Rodgers personally wanted and he personally pushed the club to sign. I've never seen or read anything to suggest that Rodgers was the driving force in any of those others and in some cases it was plainly obvious that Rodgers had little to no interest in them.

You possibly could put Gomez on that list too as he was reportedly signed purely on the recommendation of Sean O'Driscoll who Rodgers brought in as his assistant the summer before he was sacked.

Caporegime
I like Rodgers, certainly the best British manager.

Made a lot of mistakes and was quite stubborn though. Unsure where his ability to identify good players lies.

Permabanned
He'd have been involved in all the signings we made in one way or another but it was widely reported and generally accepted that those particular players were players that Rodgers personally wanted and he personally pushed the club to sign. I've never seen or read anything to suggest that Rodgers was the driving force in any of those others and in some cases it was plainly obvious that Rodgers had little to no interest in them.

You possibly could put Gomez on that list too as he was reportedly signed purely on the recommendation of Sean O'Driscoll who Rodgers brought in as his assistant the summer before he was sacked.

Basically all the flops he signed but the ones I quoted above (who make up a large part of our starting 11) he either didnt sign them or was only a "little bit" involved with. I find that hard to believe!

Don
Basically all the flops he signed but the ones I quoted above (who make up a large part of our starting 11) he either didnt sign them or was only a "little bit" involved with. I find that hard to believe!
No, I didn't include Balotelli, Assaidi, Aspas, Alberto, Sakho, Markovic, Sahin, Cissokho or Illori, all of which I'd class as flops. Again, I only listed the players that it was widely reported that he personally pushed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom