Rodgers better than Mourinho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
No one said he wasn't a good manager, but he can't be judged for what he did in Scotland as any one could win with celtic.

Rodgers wasn't even bad for us imo, Im glad he and Leicester are doing well

Caporegime
OP
No one said he wasn't a good manager, but he can't be judged for what he did in Scotland as any one could win with celtic.

Rodgers wasn't even bad for us imo, Im glad he and Leicester are doing well

I can read at least two people who said he was average at best.

Do I really need to quote them?

Anyone can win with celtic?

Say that to ronny Delia, John Barnes, etc

Associate
Anyone can win with celtic?

Say that to ronny Delia, John Barnes, etc

Delia won two titles. Barnes can at least use the faint excuse that he had no management pedigree already and there were two teams in the fight instead of one.

BR is an excellent manager but I don't rate his Scottish titles at all. He was licking his wounds while repairing his reputation waiting for a better job. I think he also did a fine job at Liverpool, but Celtic was treading water.

Caporegime
OP
Delia won two titles. Barnes can at least use the faint excuse that he had no management pedigree already and there were two teams in the fight instead of one.

BR is an excellent manager but I don't rate his Scottish titles at all. He was licking his wounds while repairing his reputation waiting for a better job. I think he also did a fine job at Liverpool, but Celtic was treading water.

It's not just the titles the guy won 2 trebles in a row as well as 3 cups in a row undefeated domestically for over a year. he went a whole season without being beaten domestically.

Gerrard has come up here and got several loan players from Liverpool with him and he see's how tough it is. He thought it would be a breeze.

He did a great job domestically up here that nobody else has ever done. He made it look easy. Delia won 2 trophies yes. In the same time Rodgers won 6. See the difference between 6 and 2?

Associate
That's not what you implied. You implied he was on the list of non winners.

Rangers haven't been a threat for years, it was easy to clean up while they repair themselves. Look at the list of multiple Celtic title winners in the modern era. What have they won elsewhere? BR is by far the best of the bunch granted, but the standard of competition is laughable.

Caporegime
OP
That's not what you implied. You implied he was on the list of non winners.

Rangers haven't been a threat for years, it was easy to clean up while they repair themselves. Look at the list of multiple Celtic title winners in the modern era. What have they won elsewhere? BR is by far the best of the bunch granted, but the standard of competition is laughable.

Why would our players be winning stuff elsewhere? We have kept a hold of the majority of them. Also we are talking about Brendan Rodgers here not what celtic title winners have won elsewhere. Show me what united have won in the past 5 years with over 1 billion spent on players? As said before our budget doesn't stretch that far. When teams are buying Wan Bissaka's for £50m to play right back and our whole team averages around £3m per player.

Take a look at McGinn and how well he is doing in the premiership. We have several players better than him. If you want to do the argument our players aren't good enough, some of them are and they have shown it time and time again.

If it's all about winning then I could show you a long list of english players who never won anything internationally, etc. Celtic was the first team in Britain to lift the european cup. They did it before any team in England did.

The point is what Brendan did here at Celtic was make them serial winners. No other manager apart from Stein (the guy who won the european cup) has ever done before. They haven't lost a domestic trophy now in over 3 years maybe even 4 years depending on how you split it. That wasn't something they had before. Now you can see what he has done at Leicester.

The point is he is a good manager. He's terrible at signing players though. He shouldn't be allowed to sing anyone. However what he achieved up here and has done so far with Leicester proves he's well above average as a manager. As we have had plenty of good managers at celtic before him and only 1 was better than him Stein. Delia was the manager before him and he inherited his team and he did a lot better with it. You have to remember Delia had Van Dijk in his team. So Delia even with the best defender in the world couldn't do what Rodgers did.

If you want to talk about previous celtic title winning players winning elsewhere. Van Dijk and Henrik Larsson say it all.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
BR has always been regarded as a excellent manager, plays good football and is generally well liked by his players and the media.

He lost the Liverpool fans when he dropped Stevie (to be fair SG had started to struggle and imo was holding the team back) and played a weakened team against Madrid in the CL, which was inexcusable. I genuinely hope he does well with Leicester and gets to Europe, but let’s be honest, he’s only second because the Spuds,Arse and Manc’s have been woeful.

Don
That was just one problem. He had huge power issues at Liverpool, refusing to work within the set-up the club had/has, only picking 'his' players and then completely lost the plot at the end of his last full season in charge. He was playing players all over the shop, most notably Sterling as a wing back, and frantically changing formation week by week searching for an answer. His time at Liverpool was well and truly up.

He's a very good coach and had the makings of a very good manager but ultimately he was still learning the job while he was with us. It'll be interesting to see whether he's learnt from his mistakes and is prepared to work with the scouting set-up at Leicester because they have a fantastic recruitment team there.

Associate
Why would our players be winning stuff elsewhere? We have kept a hold of the majority of them. .

I wasn't talking about players, I was and we were discussing managers. Which Manager in the modern era that has won multiple titles has won anything of note elsewhere?

And again in recent years it's been a 1 horse race.

Caporegime
OP
I wasn't talking about players, I was and we were discussing managers. Which Manager in the modern era that has won multiple titles has won anything of note elsewhere?

And again in recent years it's been a 1 horse race.

Since Stein we have only had 2 good managers. Martin O'Neill and Brendan Rodgers. I think Rodgers speaks for himself with his achievements this year. Also with the wages we are able to pay we cannot attract the type of manager who is capable of winning Champions League, etc. Again you have failed to take the point being made. We are talking about Brendan and the marvellous job he done which no other manager since Stein managed to do. Even with it being a 1 horse race at times nobody was able to do what Brendan did when it became a 2 horse race.

Don
His achievements this year? What were those exactly? We're 12 games into the season, he and Leicester have done very well so far but he's not achieved anything. If Leicester have a poor 6 months and Leicester finish 6th, which wouldn't be a massive shock, he's achieved no more than Southampton 4-5 years ago.

Associate
You can't knock Rodgers' domestic record in Scotland, but it does have to be seen in context. Throughout my lifetime, there have been two clubs of strength in Scotland. Whether Celtic or Rangers were winning, the other was always approximate to offer some form of challenge. Rodgers' time at Celtic was characterised by a neutered Rangers. Bar some miracle that would make Leicester's title win seem underwhelming, there was little chance of any side being able to offer a serious challenge and no real sporting rivalry until Gerrard took the helm. Cup performance arguably more impressive, as it's a format where one bad afternoon can see you out.

You have to offset some of his domestic success with Celtic's mediocrity in European competition. And we're not just talking being trounced by elite teams here.

Leicester are on a good run, but currently it is little different to Chelsea under Lampard, Utd previously under Solskjaer, any number of instances where a club improves temporarily under new management. His efforts can only be judged over a concerted period, not a third of a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom